Google+ and Facebook

Home | Yearly News Archive | Advertisers | Blog | Contact Us
Wednesday, May 8, 2024
FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Santa Claus parade

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
over the hill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 03 2014 at 2:57pm
Sounds good. Opps, wait,Monroe is really getting THEIR ball rolling in that direction while Middletown sat on their hands when Auston Landing was being developed because Middletown Council couldn't see past their noses and the downtown.I sincerely hope that BRIGHTER FUTURE doesn't turn out to be an oncoming train. IMO
middiemom View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote middiemom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 03 2014 at 1:26pm
"The wages in this town just won't support high dollar arts nor specialty shops and food."

Vet, I'm sorry if you don't like the new Middletown and it's new establishments. Why do you care what my friends and I like to eat? We support these establishments. There are still Mc Donald's and KFC for those of you that don't like it. All the same old tired voices offering up nothing but negativism. Your solutions are what? More fast food chains? That's attractive when trying to lure new families into townLOL! Young people want things like what is happening in the new Middletown. People are trying. You all sit on this site and criticize people trying to make you so proud of your home town and what it can become. The new slogan says it all. There WAS a bright past but there IS A BRIGHTER FUTURE with or without you nattering naybobs of negativism. The future is young new families not grouchy old men. Even you can agree there is more going on downtown than ten years ago. I agree there should be focus on the east end by the highway as well. How about a collection of upper to high end restaurants and department stores by the highway? Might attract a lot of new people and young professionals. 
over the hill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 03 2014 at 10:31am
Right on, V.V.!!
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 03 2014 at 6:35am
This will do no good as to persuading the rose-colored glasses folks to return to reality but here goes anyway from a "nay-sayers" point of view....

middiemom:

"I also want to say kudos to Judy Gileand. It was nice to see you there still being involved in city functions despite all of the nay-sayers."

middiemom, there is a mountain of evidence that has been documented, right here on this forum, that supports the facts that Judy Gilleland has done an incredible amount of damage to this city as city manager. Her relationship with the community, outside the inner sanctum referred to as "friends of city hall", is very poor. Her relation with her city building employees during her tenure was reported as very poor. She was a "my way or the highway" type of manager with a tyrant-like, dictatorial attitude with some nastiness thrown in. Hardly the way to handle people and get them to cooperate with you. I would imagine that her job performance would have been graded as very low if the community and her subordinates would have had a chance to evaluate her.

middiemom:

"Downtown is making a comeback!"

With over a decade of attempts and millions spent on themes, gadgets and other PR disasters, along with a theme of arts that will never attract enough downtown to warrant a success statement, I believe the statement you made is a tad bit premature at best. If one were to drive downtown on any given day, one would immediately notice the empty stores, the lack of traffic indicating a lack of interest from most in this city. The outsiders brought in for the arts theme just aren't enough to present a "it's a busy downtown" picture as yet, therefore negating your response of a comeback. It won't "come back" with it's current arts theme. The arts are too limiting in interest and appeals to a small segment of society, especially in a blue-collar city like Middletown. The arts people just don't understand that you cannot change a town that has been, and will always be a working class, factory driven city and not an arts mecca as they would like to have. Again, wrong theme that will never fit nor be accepted in this town. I would be willing to bet that if they changed their focus and offered some entertainment/shopping that would appeal to the majority who live here, they would see a faster growth pattern. Your "new hot yoga classes in the old Journal building" may have very few in attendence as yoga and wine (interests from wanna be, egocentric upper crust, I've got a career, not a job, yuppies started long ago) have no interest with most who live here.

In general, the people of this city are hard working middle/lower middle class blue-collar folks. Always have been. You can't bring, nor do they want, culture to the table. NASCAR, not horse racing. Beer, not wine. Burgers and fries, not a gourmet fru fru burger with a pickle slice and chips on the side for 15 bucks. The wages in this town just won't support high dollar arts nor specialty shops and food. One must understand the demographics of the city to offer what is of interest.
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
middiemom View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote middiemom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 02 2014 at 8:32pm
We went to the Santa Claus parade downtown this past Saturday and I must sayClap to the organizers. Another job well done! It was nice to see all the people who showed up. Of course there were some less than desirables but it was easy for us to maintain a safe distance from them. The weather was nice and we even snuck some red wine in thermoses to keep warm Embarrassed. It was nice to see all of the particiants in the parade grow from year to year. I also want to say kudos to Judy Gileand. It was nice to see you there still being involved in city functions despite all of the nay-sayers. Downtown is making a comeback! My girlfriends and I cannot wait to go to the new hot yoga classes at the old journal building (then sneak next door for a refreshmentWink)! Again kudos!!! 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic