Google+ and Facebook

Home | Yearly News Archive | Advertisers | Blog | Contact Us
Tuesday, April 23, 2024
FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Santa Claus parade

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
middiemom View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote middiemom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Santa Claus parade
    Posted: Dec 02 2014 at 8:32pm
We went to the Santa Claus parade downtown this past Saturday and I must sayClap to the organizers. Another job well done! It was nice to see all the people who showed up. Of course there were some less than desirables but it was easy for us to maintain a safe distance from them. The weather was nice and we even snuck some red wine in thermoses to keep warm Embarrassed. It was nice to see all of the particiants in the parade grow from year to year. I also want to say kudos to Judy Gileand. It was nice to see you there still being involved in city functions despite all of the nay-sayers. Downtown is making a comeback! My girlfriends and I cannot wait to go to the new hot yoga classes at the old journal building (then sneak next door for a refreshmentWink)! Again kudos!!! 
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 03 2014 at 6:35am
This will do no good as to persuading the rose-colored glasses folks to return to reality but here goes anyway from a "nay-sayers" point of view....

middiemom:

"I also want to say kudos to Judy Gileand. It was nice to see you there still being involved in city functions despite all of the nay-sayers."

middiemom, there is a mountain of evidence that has been documented, right here on this forum, that supports the facts that Judy Gilleland has done an incredible amount of damage to this city as city manager. Her relationship with the community, outside the inner sanctum referred to as "friends of city hall", is very poor. Her relation with her city building employees during her tenure was reported as very poor. She was a "my way or the highway" type of manager with a tyrant-like, dictatorial attitude with some nastiness thrown in. Hardly the way to handle people and get them to cooperate with you. I would imagine that her job performance would have been graded as very low if the community and her subordinates would have had a chance to evaluate her.

middiemom:

"Downtown is making a comeback!"

With over a decade of attempts and millions spent on themes, gadgets and other PR disasters, along with a theme of arts that will never attract enough downtown to warrant a success statement, I believe the statement you made is a tad bit premature at best. If one were to drive downtown on any given day, one would immediately notice the empty stores, the lack of traffic indicating a lack of interest from most in this city. The outsiders brought in for the arts theme just aren't enough to present a "it's a busy downtown" picture as yet, therefore negating your response of a comeback. It won't "come back" with it's current arts theme. The arts are too limiting in interest and appeals to a small segment of society, especially in a blue-collar city like Middletown. The arts people just don't understand that you cannot change a town that has been, and will always be a working class, factory driven city and not an arts mecca as they would like to have. Again, wrong theme that will never fit nor be accepted in this town. I would be willing to bet that if they changed their focus and offered some entertainment/shopping that would appeal to the majority who live here, they would see a faster growth pattern. Your "new hot yoga classes in the old Journal building" may have very few in attendence as yoga and wine (interests from wanna be, egocentric upper crust, I've got a career, not a job, yuppies started long ago) have no interest with most who live here.

In general, the people of this city are hard working middle/lower middle class blue-collar folks. Always have been. You can't bring, nor do they want, culture to the table. NASCAR, not horse racing. Beer, not wine. Burgers and fries, not a gourmet fru fru burger with a pickle slice and chips on the side for 15 bucks. The wages in this town just won't support high dollar arts nor specialty shops and food. One must understand the demographics of the city to offer what is of interest.
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
over the hill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 03 2014 at 10:31am
Right on, V.V.!!
middiemom View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote middiemom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 03 2014 at 1:26pm
"The wages in this town just won't support high dollar arts nor specialty shops and food."

Vet, I'm sorry if you don't like the new Middletown and it's new establishments. Why do you care what my friends and I like to eat? We support these establishments. There are still Mc Donald's and KFC for those of you that don't like it. All the same old tired voices offering up nothing but negativism. Your solutions are what? More fast food chains? That's attractive when trying to lure new families into townLOL! Young people want things like what is happening in the new Middletown. People are trying. You all sit on this site and criticize people trying to make you so proud of your home town and what it can become. The new slogan says it all. There WAS a bright past but there IS A BRIGHTER FUTURE with or without you nattering naybobs of negativism. The future is young new families not grouchy old men. Even you can agree there is more going on downtown than ten years ago. I agree there should be focus on the east end by the highway as well. How about a collection of upper to high end restaurants and department stores by the highway? Might attract a lot of new people and young professionals. 
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 03 2014 at 2:57pm
Sounds good. Opps, wait,Monroe is really getting THEIR ball rolling in that direction while Middletown sat on their hands when Auston Landing was being developed because Middletown Council couldn't see past their noses and the downtown.I sincerely hope that BRIGHTER FUTURE doesn't turn out to be an oncoming train. IMO
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 03 2014 at 3:14pm
MiddletownMom, your post is quite amusing.

Firstly, no educated young adult, or for that matter, and aged educated adult, is buying into the nonsense Middletown is coming back, downtown is ready to explode. The activity downtown is cloaked solely as a catalyst for growth and restoration because Larry Mulligan, Marty Kohler, Doug Bean, and others, live on Main Street and desperately attempt to prevent total financial valuation collapse of their property. Nothing more, nothing less. As they control the pocket strings, with help from the school system and others, a few dollars are spread over many establishments, each cannobalizing another's business, but not one entity is thriving.

It is a waste of time and money to dream of young professionals coming to Middletown. The wrong people with the wrong acumen espouse the wonders of microbreweries, upscale restaurants, art, culture, bikes, and niche shopping to lure those young folks armed with J.D.'s, M.D.'s, MSc, et al. It isn't working and won't....for so many reasons already stated over the years, it is borish to be reptitive.

As for pets with Santa, tearing down Sunset for a potential dog park, Middletown again puts its finger in the air, feels the wind blowing, and has a magical moment- young professionals will come running because of pets as they don't yet have children, the young yuppies driving their Lexus IS 300's, and BMW 3 xi's. Frankly, no one downtown gets it.

As for marketing, the city and its surrounding posse of yes people, rose colored glasses framing uncreative minds, the continuation of throwing something out on the wall, hoping something will stick, continues. Look at the framing of the interstate exchange, where a big M adorns both north and south bound exits. One has to go up to Bob Evans to even comprehend its Middletown-----some marketing awareness!

Whenever I read anything from someone espousing how downtown is comoing back, how young, educated adults are flocking to Middletown, I have countless discussions with others who have been in the city for generations, that all reach the same conclusion. And that is-----you don't know what you don't know.

My first venture to downtown other than Stefano's was a week ago for a quick trip to the library. As I usually visit the West Chester library weekly, I was astonished how run down the library was, how poorly lit it was, and the composition of the people within, many homeless.

There is a purpose for the cash being spent downtown, but attraction of young professionals is not it. And if it were, it would fail.        .           
'An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.' - Winston Churchill
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 03 2014 at 3:44pm
middiemom:
Why do you care what my friends and I like to eat?

I DON'T

middiemom:
We support these establishments

THAT'S FINE IF THOSE INTERESTED SUPPORT WHAT IS BEING OFFERED. MY POST SIMPLY MENTIONS THAT WHAT IS BEING OFFERED DOES NOT APPEAL TO THE MASSES IN TOWN. WRONG FORMAT FOR THE WRONG DEMOGRAPHICS.

middiemom:
There are still Mc Donald's and KFC for those of you that don't like it

CORRECT BUT THE DISCUSSION IS ABOUT WHAT IS OFFERED DOWNTOWN, NOT AROUND TOWN. WHILE YOU ARE ON THE SUBJECT OF MCD'S....YOU PUT A MCDONALDS DOWNTOWN AND IT WILL BE THE BUSIEST EATING PLACE DOWN THERE. WHY? BECAUSE IT OFFERS THE TYPE OF FOOD THE MAJORITY OF PEOPLE IN THIS CITY LIKE AT AN AFFORDABLE PRICE. IE...IT MATCHES THE DEMOGRAPHICS OF THE MAJORITY OF THE CITY POPULATION.

middiemom:
"Allthe same old tired voices offering up nothing but negativism"

RE-PHRASE THAT. "ALL THE OLD TIRED VOICES FRUSTRATED AND FED UP WITH THE DIRECTION OF THE CITY, THE DESTRUCTION OF A ONCE PROUD, VIABLE. RESPECTABLE CITY REPLACED BY SLUM LORD SECTION 8 IMAGE DESTROYING POLICIES OF THE LAST 30 + YEARS.

middiemom:
"Your solutions are what?"

1. FIND OUT WHAT THE MAJORITY OF THE PEOPLE WANT FOR THEIR CITY
2. PLAN AROUND THOSE DESIRES AND START ATTRACTING THOSE TYPES OF BUSINESSES, EATERIES AND A JOB MARKET THAT TARGETS OPPORTUNITIES TO ADDRESS THOSE WANTS AND NEEDS TO HELP PEOPLE THRIVE HERE
3. COOPERATE AND BEND OVER BACKWARDS TO ASSIST ANY LEGITIMATE BUSINESS THAT WANTS TO LOCATE HERE. REMOVE THE BARRIERS THAT HAVE HINDERED GROWTH FOR NEW BUSINESSES
4. START A PR CAMPAIGN TO REPAIR THE DAMAGE DONE TO THE CITY AND IT'S IMAGE AND REPUTATION WITH THE SURROUNDING COMMUNITIES. START ACTING LIKE THERE IS A SEMBLENCE OF CLASS IN THIS TOWN INSTEAD OF BEING RECOGNIZED AS THE ATTRACTION MAGNET FOR ALL THE LOW LIFES TO FILTER INTO TOWN
5. LET THE ARTS PEOPLE DEVELOP THEIR OWN BUSINESSES AND STOP THE PRACTICE OF CITY INTERVENTION INTO WHAT SHOULD BE PRIVATE SECTOR DEVELOPMENT
6. GET NEW PEOPLE IN THE ECON DEVELOPMENT DEPT THAT ACTUALLY KNOW WHAT THEY"RE DOING. WHAT WE HAVE NOW IS INEPTNESS DRAWING A PAYCHECK PRODUCING NO RESULTS WORTH MENTIONING....FOR YEARS NOW.
7. EITHER CHANGE DIRECTION IN THE CITY BUILDING OR GUT THE ENTIRE GROUP DOWN THERE AND START OVER WITH SOME COMPETENT PEOPLE WHO THINK LOGICALLY WITH THE INTENTION TO DO RIGHT BY THE PEOPLE OF THIS CITY
8. WHEN ALL ELSE FAILS, PICK A SUCCESSFUL COMMUNITY WITH LIKE DEMOGRAPHICS AND EMULATE THEIR SUCCESS BY DOING COPYCAT THINGS.

THERE YOU HAVE IT middiemom. YOU ASKED FOR A PLAN. YOU GOT IT.

middiemom:
"Youngpeople want things like what is happening in the new Middletown"

WHERE IS THE OVERWHELMING EVIDENCE THAT THIS IS TRUE? SPECULATION AT BEST ON YOUR PART.

middiemon:
Youall sit on this site and criticize people trying to make you so proud of your home town and what it can become

NO, I KNOW WHAT IT WAS AND IT WAS A HELL OF A SIGHT BETTER THAN IT HAS BEEN THE LAST 30 YEARS. THE POWERS THAT BE HAVE SEEN FIT TO RUIN A ONCE PROUD ALL AMERICAN CITY AND HAVE TAKEN IT TO GHETTO STATUS AS WE SPEAK. I DOUBT YOU WERE AROUND IN THE 50'S AND 60'S WHEN THIS TOWN WAS A THRIVING HEALTHY COMMUNITY, RESPECTED BY IT'S NEIGHBORS.

middiemom:
The new slogan says it all. There WAS a bright past but there IS A BRIGHTER FUTURE with or without you nattering naybobs of negativism

KOOL-AID DRINKING STATEMENT middiemom. DON'T BELIEVE THE HORSECRAP THEY'RE SHOVELING YOUR WAY. THEY HAVEN'T PRODUCED BUT A FRACTION OF THE PIPE DREAMS THEY HAVE BEEN SPEWING THE LAST THREE DECADES. THE SCHOOLS ARE IN SHAMBLES AS WELL AS THE COMMUNITY. THE NUMBERS DON'T LIE NO MATTER WHAT THE LEADERS SAY. IT IS WHAT IT IS. YOU ARE BELIEVING THE MAGICAL MYSTERY TOUR THEY ARE PRESENTING.

middiemom:
The future is young new families not grouchy old men
"GROUCHY OLD MEN" HAVE PUT IN THEIR TIME AND PAID THEIR DUES. TRY RESPECTING THAT ASPECT OF THINGS MOM. THE ROAD HASN'T BEEN EASY. YOU'LL FIND THAT OUT AS YOU AGE.

middiemom:
Even you can agree there is more going on downtown than ten years ago

NOT NECESSARILY TRUE. THE MAJORITY OF THE BUSINESSES ARE STILL UNOCCUPIED. THE ARTS COMMUNITY OCCUPIES A SMALL FRACTION OF THE BUILDINGS DOWNTOWN. CINCY STATE IS A SHELL OF WHAT WAS ADVERTISED AS TO STUDENT ENROLLMENT AND DOWNTOWN FOOT TRAFFIC. RESTAURANTS CLOSE AS FAST AS NEW ONES OPEN. EVEN THE SUB SHOP (CAN'T THINK IF THE NAME AND 59 DEGREES WERE SHORT-LIVED. NO REAL LONG TERM SUCCESSES IN ANY NUMBER DOWNTOWN TO DATE.

WE WILL JUST AGREE TO DISAGREE ABOUT THE SUCCESS OF THE DOWNTOWN AREA. FAIR ENOUGH?

I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 03 2014 at 4:09pm
BOY O BOY
I am happy that the downtown group did another Santa parade. At least someone did something(nothing from Kroger, Mejier, WalMart etc?).

Vet, pal--u come off a little negative and grumpy here.
Why rip the few trying to make that struggling area work? They are vested there, and doing what they should be doing. So let's give them respect due. I don't see much activity anywhere else here(and honestly not much there either).

Do I see the former downtown area booming? NO I DON'T(I am there or pass thru most days). We have collectively paid for most of what has happened there over the last 20 years. It is time for the area to stand on it's own and make it or bust. I hope that it makes it. I have no problem going there, and like a lot of those trying to make it work. Are they lining their pockets? Hardly--for some it has been a lot of expense. The restaurants and bars are too quiet. The Pendleton seems to be struggling. The Sorg Opera House makes little sense for the $$ and may well be a pipe dream.

But---you can't be-little and slam the residents and owners trying to make something work. It is seldom easy or quick. It WILL get better---not sure just how much or how quickly. Hey--it can't get much worse than it was.

If the lady went there, supported the businesses and had a good time--then that can only be a good thing.

Maybe Vet, acclaro and over the hill should meet me at the brew pub for a fancy beer(my treat)---middiemom is welcome to join us to see that we are all human wanting something enjoyable and better!

on the subject of MIDDIES--went to the game last night.
Huge crowd that should have had somewhere approximate to go afterwards. Downtown was locked up tight. Middies are an exciting work in progress. Jump on the bandwagon now, because it should be very good by mid-season. And nothing about the event in our sham of a newspaper--so disappointing--Luke in the house that Luke built on the Wade E stage--the strong Middie underclassmen---and the most incredible halftime show in my memory that was worth twice the time and cost of admission.

I am disgusted by our division by neighborhood area. We need to support this community in it's entirety. One area alone probably won't be attractive/strong enough to bring us back. It is proven that the former downtown and arts alone won't do it. We have waited long enough. Time to support every area of the community, and those surrounding us. If a few make it and the rest don't, we all lose.

jmo--flame me
but remember--I am fireproof!
middiemom View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote middiemom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 03 2014 at 4:37pm
Well said Spider! It's hard to try when there are those that complain no matter what happens. I recently ran into an official who is trounced here on an almost daily basis. I was speaking to him about community involvement and if he reads postings on this site. He said he stopped because no matter what he does NOTHING is good enough. He said he could find a million dollars for every taxpayer in the city and people on here would complain.Spider I agee with you about not focusing on particuliar neighborhoods when all should be our focus. Just like our focus should be on the brighter future not the nostalgic past. I just get excited when there are new establishments that my circle of friends can frequent and right now those appen to be downtown. Spider you are a voice of reason, so many others are either stuck in the past or seem so wrapped up in other people and their lives. If these views about our current council, whether right or wrong, I suggest you stop complaining and do something about it instead of complaining about what one woman's opinion is. Thumbs Up
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 03 2014 at 4:57pm
Spider:

Brew pub???  Is it even open yet???  Is it open after dark???  Am I allowed??? (You don't have to treat, I'll buy my own...and maybe even spring for one for you!!)  
Beer smileys
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 03 2014 at 5:17pm
lol mike--they let me in(though some eyebrows raised), so you should be good. Flash a twenty and they will love you. I thought that concept might wake you up.

middiemom--I was here for that nostalgic past--it wasn't that incredible but much more liveable and less dangerous than now. Just got my holiday hair cut, and upon leaving, walked right past a drug transaction involving a group of very nasty looking people.

EVERYONE reads musa whether they admit it or not. no pity for city officials from me---their actions often defy sensibility. THEY have put us in this--not musa postings.

Reading about raiding the public safety funds for the reasons mentioned chaps me to no end. I would like someone involved to come here and explain(since it won't show up in our newspaper). An explanation is not asking much, and should come without asking imo.
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 03 2014 at 6:03pm
And....perhaps someone can enlighten many as to why the city is approving $20 Kk for the city manager relo when they also extended his mandated move for many months.  
'An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.' - Winston Churchill
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 03 2014 at 7:18pm
Originally posted by spiderjohn spiderjohn wrote:

BOY O BOY
I am happy that the downtown group did another Santa parade. At least someone did something(nothing from Kroger, Mejier, WalMart etc?).

Vet, pal--u come off a little negative and grumpy here.
Why rip the few trying to make that struggling area work? They are vested there, and doing what they should be doing. So let's give them respect due. I don't see much activity anywhere else here(and honestly not much there either).

Do I see the former downtown area booming? NO I DON'T(I am there or pass thru most days). We have collectively paid for most of what has happened there over the last 20 years. It is time for the area to stand on it's own and make it or bust. I hope that it makes it. I have no problem going there, and like a lot of those trying to make it work. Are they lining their pockets? Hardly--for some it has been a lot of expense. The restaurants and bars are too quiet. The Pendleton seems to be struggling. The Sorg Opera House makes little sense for the $$ and may well be a pipe dream.

But---you can't be-little and slam the residents and owners trying to make something work. It is seldom easy or quick. It WILL get better---not sure just how much or how quickly. Hey--it can't get much worse than it was.

If the lady went there, supported the businesses and had a good time--then that can only be a good thing.

Maybe Vet, acclaro and over the hill should meet me at the brew pub for a fancy beer(my treat)---middiemom is welcome to join us to see that we are all human wanting something enjoyable and better!

on the subject of MIDDIES--went to the game last night.
Huge crowd that should have had somewhere approximate to go afterwards. Downtown was locked up tight. Middies are an exciting work in progress. Jump on the bandwagon now, because it should be very good by mid-season. And nothing about the event in our sham of a newspaper--so disappointing--Luke in the house that Luke built on the Wade E stage--the strong Middie underclassmen---and the most incredible halftime show in my memory that was worth twice the time and cost of admission.

I am disgusted by our division by neighborhood area. We need to support this community in it's entirety. One area alone probably won't be attractive/strong enough to bring us back. It is proven that the former downtown and arts alone won't do it. We have waited long enough. Time to support every area of the community, and those surrounding us. If a few make it and the rest don't, we all lose.

jmo--flame me
but remember--I am fireproof!

Spider, I said my piece with as much civility as is in me as I deal with impossible management demands at work and the no-win situation I have at home. Work is no escape from home and home doesn't cure the working ills nowadays. Nowhere to run. (See Martha and the Vandellas song) You and alot of other people that have been around a long time know the situation. What it was. What it is now. We all can logically compare the change. It is only the people who seem to ignore the facts, figures and incredibly what their own eyes allow them to see. In reading your post, I believe we both said the same things, yours being more "kinder/gentler/diplomatic" which I don't believe in using. I did not attack middiemom on a personal basis. I did no worse than her placing me in the "grouchy old man" category. She will be there one day when she has seen enough nonsense in this city. Just not her time as yet.

Having an upscale brew at an establishment downtown you say? Given my comments about the yuppie/artzy thinking, wouldn't that make me a hypocrite if I took you up on the offer? Still, I would enjoy talking to middiemom to understand why she sees the same situation in a totally different prospective. As a matter of fact, I would like to sit down with many who are on the other side of the fence to see why they think the way they do. Optimist/pessimist- glass half full/half empty ongoing battle I guess.

Middiemom mentions that she has talked to a city official who reads the comments on here and who claims he can do nothing to please anyone here. Very simple concept. Start doing the right thing for the city and change your stripes and the criticism will stop. It is abundantly clear within the pages of this forum what many think is acceptable as to city direction. Still, the same person who has taken the forum abuse seems to maintain the posture drawing the criticism. His choice. Start doing what is right for the people and drop the city mantra which has proven to be a disaster for decades and he just may find he has more support here.
TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 04 2014 at 7:46am
I'd like to make a small comment that no one else seems to have any concern over. The beginning of this thread had a statement by "middiemom" about "undesirables" and how she was able to stay separated from them for her "safety". While you're getting the "warm fuzzy" feeling from lording over those you feel should not even be allowed to attend a public event, it might not hurt you to remember that the family of Jesus would have fit your "undesirable" label. It seems that while trying to get into the "spirit of the season", you turned the whole event into a personal judgement about the merits of other people you don't see as deserving to even attend. Perhaps before worrying about the faults of others, you should look for the fault in yourself.
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 04 2014 at 8:00am

Middiemom
I’m really glad that you and your friends support and enjoy all the new businesses in the downtown area. However I do believe that you are missing the point of the many messages that have been posted on this forum concerning your new downtown area.
I do not want these new businesses to fail…however…I do strongly object to City Hall using millions of taxpayer’s dollars to set up and support these downtown businesses time and time again while the rest of the business community in Middletown get no support at all. We have spent millions of dollars in the downtown area and how many jobs has it really created?
I also strongly object to the misleading and sometimes false statements made by City Hall concerning the true cost of these projects and those close friends involved in these special deals.
Sooo Middiemom before you start slamming what is being posted on this forum by the naysayers maybe you should take a long hard look at the City of Middletown’s financial situation.
Maybe you should ask your good friend at City Hall what the real cost and impact is going to be concerning the HUD Section 8 Program being moved.  

sunwyn View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunwyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 04 2014 at 8:22am
So, what constitutes an undesirable? Are they poor? Are they a different color? Religion? I would love to know the defining traits that make one undesirable. 
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 04 2014 at 8:31am
I think I too may have been misunderstood.. I AM also FOR ANY business downtown to be successful. I think a lot of our posts are really coming from total frustration. The lack of vision from city hall .If you don't have the answers then step aside or bring in new blood or at least LISTEN. The same old same old isn't working. I really do not think ANYONE on this forum would NOT want a business to succeed. Keep city hall out of it and let the private sector do what they do best. JMO
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 04 2014 at 8:39am

Well Sunwyn
It's all those same "undesirable people” that City Hall wanted to run out of town until HUD slapped them down for discrimination. 

MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 04 2014 at 8:44am
GIVING CREDIT WHERE CREDIT IS DO: Congradulations to Sam Ashworth and Roger Miller for being recognized for their sharing of our history for us all to enjoy.
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 04 2014 at 9:44am
I find it a puzzling paradox that the city supporters cry foul when criticism is levied against failures and disappointments, and yet the 'historians' that are recognized for kindling historic facts about Middletown's once proud past, are applauded. It is the historic recognition and comprehension of the past that leads to the overwhelming disappointment of the city today. In sum, that is point to be made. 
swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 04 2014 at 10:10am
Originally posted by TonyB TonyB wrote:

". While you're getting the "warm fuzzy" feeling from lording over those you feel should not even be allowed to attend a public event, it might not hurt you to remember that the family of Jesus would have fit your "undesirable" label. 

Oh really?  I think there are several biblical scholars that would disagree with this statement.
processor View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote processor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 04 2014 at 11:52am
MiddieMom,
I'm so glad that you enjoyed the parade and are looking forward to the opening of the yoga studio. Thank you Linda Morman for all the work you do to get the parade organized.

Please don't let all the negativism on this site get you down. There ARE a number of GOOD things happening in Middletown and they need all the support we can give them. Success breeds success.
TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 04 2014 at 12:06pm
The "undesirable" label can be applied by anyone to anyone. Your biblical "scholars" look through the prism of anyone not Christian being "undesirable". That, in and of itself, would render the family of Jesus "undesirables" since they were Jews! They holy family lived in a state that was occupied by Gentiles which would again make them "undesirables". A woman about to give birth was turned away from the inn because there was no room? No room for a woman in labor? The real point is that to stand on a public street while breaking the law (yes, alcohol consumption on the street is illegal) and complain that there are people who shouldn't be allowed to be there because they somehow don't fit a persons definition of "proper", seems to defeat the entire purpose of the season. So unless you subscribe to the notion that Christmas is a secular holiday that is for making money, a parade to celebrate Santa shouldn't be turned into a referendum on who should be allowed to attend.
Stanky View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stanky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 04 2014 at 1:59pm
processor, we were hearing about success that would happen once the mall roof was taken off, we heard about success with Cincy St, we've heard about it with Stained Bistro, we've heard about it when the Journal Bldg was supposed to be "lofts". Years go by. Where is the success? In my opinion, there is nothing that will work down there and the city should just let the free market run with it. No more handouts. Facts on the ground speak louder than anything a handful of MUSA posters say.
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 04 2014 at 2:06pm
processor, would you mind defining and characterizing all the good happening in Middletown now? I remain amazed those whom have an objective vantage and critique the obvious, are deemed '"negativism."  From my perch, I see business as usual, a few who make money or fame from the city, shouting the city is returning, making a comeback, when the numbers I see downtown, just don't support such assertions. The foot traffic has not been notably improved, and saying it will be so, does not make it so. Of course, everyone wishes it was booming, and Middletown was Indian Hills, but it isn't.

With apologies, but having an added gas station that Mr. Robinson sold does not characterize an economic boom. Frankly, Middletown is barely keeping pace with Hamilton in renovation.   
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic