Google+ and Facebook

Home | Yearly News Archive | Advertisers | Blog | Contact Us
Thursday, March 28, 2024
FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Trouble in Paradise

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trouble in Paradise
    Posted: Feb 09 2015 at 6:41am
Journal story....

MHS principal under fire for student performance

MIDDLETOWN —
Tension between the Middletown City Schools central office and one of its principals is having a negative impact on student performance, some in the 6,400-student district said.

The Middletown Teachers Association says the district’s leadership has been lacking, and the superintendent and his staff are blaming their top administrators, namely popular Middletown High School Principal Carmela Cotter for not meeting performance standards for students and creating an environment of mistrust.

Two years ago, when Cotter was evaluated by Superintendent Sam Ison, she was praised for her leadership ability, according to a review of Cotter’s personnel file that was obtained by the Journal-News. At the time Ison wrote Cotter was working toward becoming an “accomplished administrator,” though the high school and the district needed to improve its state test scores.

When giving his assessment of Cotter after her first two years as principal, Ison wrote: “I have enjoyed working with Mrs. Cotter and have observed her deal with sensitive issues in a professional manner and always maintaining the dignity of all involved. That is a great trait for a leader.”

He called her “a valuable administrative team member.”

Now, it appears, Cotter’s contract as MHS principal, a position she has held for four years and a job that pays more than $100,000, may not be renewed, according to her latest evaluation performed by Elizabeth Lolli, the district’s senior director of curriculum.

Cotter was asked what happened to her leadership ability from 2012 to now. She said it was ironic her evaluation dropped during the last two years because she obtained her superintendent’s license and attended additional leadership training.

Word has spread throughout the district and Middletown community that Cotter’s contract may not be renewed. During the last several school board members, staff and students have made a point to compliment Cotter when addressing board members and school officials.

Cotter, who said the comments weren’t orchestrated, said she was “touched” by the kind words and called them “feel good moments.”

Dom Williams, president of the MTA, said what the district needs now more than ever — during a time when union members have expressed their displeasure with the district’s central office — is Cotter as MHS principal. He said her best assets, communication and compassion, are two of the things missing most in the district.

He said during her four years as principal Cotter has improved morale throughout the building. Not renewing her contract, Williams said, would be “a blow to an already bad climate.”

Cotter has been given an action plan, and Williams said he’s confident she can achieve anything.

“She has the whole package,” said Williams, who added he was “shocked” and “very disappointed” when he learned her contract may not be renewed.

Cotter’s contract ends of June 30, 2015. She makes $100,200 as principal, and said if her contract isn’t renewed she would seek employment in a different district or return to a Middletown classroom as a teacher.

Ison and officials have said the high school needs to perform better on the state report card and that responsibility falls on the principal.

MHS juniors passed three of the 10 indicators on the last Ohio School Report Card, according to the Ohio Department of Education. The school received a C for performance index and a F for indicators met. The district received an A for value-added, which rates the progress the same group of students makes from the first day of class to the last, for the second straight year. The high school graduates 90 percent of its students, slightly above the state average, according to the ODE.

In a letter dated Dec. 19, 2014 from Eric Gearhart, senior director of human resources, following Cotter’s mid-year evaluation, it stated that if her performance didn’t improve, then the recommendation would be for non-renewal of her contract. It said Cotter could meet in executive session with the school board to discuss reasons for considering the non-renewal of her contract.

Marcia Andrew, Middletown school board president, said it would be inappropriate to comment on specific personnel issues since she has no direct involvement.

But in general, she said, there is a lot of anxiety about the new evaluation process the state has required for all teachers and administrators.

“Under prior evaluation systems, almost all teachers and administrators received outstanding evaluations,” she said. “The new process may produce more balanced assessments of performance. For someone not used to having opportunities for improvement documented, they may focus too much on the negative, and interpret any formal criticism as conveying a message that the employee is incompetent, when it is not meant to do so. All of us should be trying to improve all the time.”

Cotter’s assistance/improvement plan, which she and Lolli signed on Jan. 15, 2015, said she needed to improve in these standards: continuous improvement, instruction, collaboration and personal professional growth.

Lolli wrote that Cotter “has not demonstrated leadership in these standards.”

The vision of the high school achievement is to meet seven of the 10 indicators on the Ohio Department of Education report card, however, “no clear plan of actions” exists to reach that vision or even begin moving forward that vision, she wrote.

Lolli wrote that lack of instruction “continues to be an issue” at the high school. During occasional walk throughs at MHS, instruction is “not occurring or partially occurring because students are not expected to achieve much.”

Lolli also noted that the collaboration between the high school and central office has been “severely impaired” by negative comments such as “battling between this person and the principal” or about “fighting to keep our principal.” When these types of issues occur, a leader steps in and stops the negativity, understanding that all are on the same team and conveying that to the staff, Lolli wrote.

“This is not happening at MHS,” Lolli wrote. In fact, she wrote, “some of this is actually fueled by the administrative team” at the high school.

Lolli noted that Cotter had done a “few things differently” in recent weeks, but the “lack of solid leadership and focus on student achievement is still missing.”

As part of the plan for improvement:

•Cotter must work with Lolli or someone else in the Central Office to understand the continuous improvement plan and get “a true plan” in place by Feb. 13;
•Cotter must visit with Hamilton High School and Fairborn High School to review how similar high schools removed the “excuses and improve achievement” for all students by Dec. 15, 2014;
•Cotter must work to “stop the negativity” by turning the staff’s focus to raising achievement and continuous improvement as opposed to excuses and reasons that tasks can’t be accomplished;
•Cotter and her team must generate a monitoring plan for students and expectations for learning that will be implemented in each classroom by Feb. 13;
•Cotter and her staff must review instruction at MHS and mark walk through and observation forms, offering assistance to those who are not meeting high standards of instruction by Dec. 20, 2014.

Cotter said she has completed her entire action plan and it’s “ready to go” for its presentation.

“We aren’t doing enough fast enough,” she said. “Everybody in the city agrees on that.”

Cotter said she understands some of the criticism she received from the administration. But instead of concentrating only on the negative, Cotter wishes the evaluation included the “whole story.” She said the “human side” of her position is equally important.

“Some of what was said hurt me professionally,” she said. “I served the district for 23 years. I hope people know how hard I work and how much I love the kids, the school and the community.”

She paused, then added: “If they decide I’m not good enough, well that’s their decision.”

After about 100 union members attended a public hearing last month to address the retire/rehire of Ison, several of them thanked Cotter for her leadership and support. When asked about Cotter’s performance and whether he’s concerned about the union’s reaction, Ison said everyone in the district is held to “high expectations.”

Then Ison added: “It’s not specially at her. It is all of us, Sam Ison included. We have two Fs (on the state report card). We are constantly looking at how we can get those two Fs up. We are looking K-12. You have 24 indicators and 10 of them are at the high school. Obviously, we are focused on what we need to do there.”

He understands that means the principal receives the most attention, good or bad.

“That pressure comes down to you and your building a lot of times because it’s right there,” said Ison, a former Lebanon High School principal. “It’s not Mrs. Cotter. It’s all of us. It’s perceived that way, it was perceived that way when Sam Ison was high school principal in Lebanon.”

SOUNDS LIKE ISON IS TRYING TO PROTECT HIS TURF AS HE USED LOLLI AS THE HATCHETWOMAN HERE. COTTER HAS HER SUPERINTENDENTS CREDENTIALS AND THE TEACHER'S UNION LIKES HER. APPARENTLY, WHEN SHE WASN'T A THREAT, SHE WAS OK. NOW, LOLLI AND ISON ARE NIT-PICKING AND TURNING THE GAME AROUND ON HER AS THEY THROW HER UNDER THE BUS. ISON AND LOLLI APPARENTLY HAVE NO MORALS OR SCRUPLES, NOR CLASS.

ISON ALSO SAYS THE HIGH SCHOOL NEEDS TO IMPROVE. GEE ISON, HOW ABOUT THE MIDDLE SCHOOL AND ELEMENTARIES? THEY NEED IMPROVEMENT ALSO. WHY ARE YOU JUST SINGLING OUT THE HIGH SCHOOL? LOOKS LIKE AN ATTEMPT TO OUST HER AT ALL COSTS HERE. HOW UNPROFESSIONAL.

SOME OF ISON'S COMMENTS IN THIS STORY CONCERING PERFORMANCE IS POOR IS INCREDIBLE. THEY WERE TOLERABLE UP UNTIL NOW AND ALL OF A SUDDEN, THEY NEED VAST IMPROVEMENT AND, APPARENTLY IT'S ALL COTTER'S FAULT. INCREDIBLE.

NO, COTTER ISN'T THE ONE WHO SHOULD GO. ISON AND LOLLI ARE. ISON IS NOW SHOWING HIS TRUE COLORS. LOLLI HAS PROVEN SHE DOESN'T WORK AND PLAY WELL WITH OTHERS AT MONROE, APPARENTLY TRYING TO DO IT AGAIN HERE. GET RID OF BOTH OF THEM SCHOOL BOARD. DO SOMETHING RIGHT FOR A CHANGE.
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
processor View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote processor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 09 2015 at 10:24am
Vet,
How in the world do you get from the article that Ison and Lolli are the ones who need to go!? Sounds to me like Ison and Lolli are trying to hold the Principals accountable and they are resisting. To get improvement the behavior/methods/attitude, etc will need to change from the admin down through the teachers. Of course many people will object and resist, but how else do you make the necessary changes to improve performance?
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 09 2015 at 10:48am
From the article:

•Cotter must work with Lolli or someone else in the Central Office to understand the continuous improvement plan and get “a true plan” in place by Feb. 13;
•Cotter must visit with Hamilton High School and Fairborn High School to review how similar high schools removed the “excuses and improve achievement” for all students by Dec. 15, 2014;
•Cotter must work to “stop the negativity” by turning the staff’s focus to raising achievement and continuous improvement as opposed to excuses and reasons that tasks can’t be accomplished;
•Cotter and her team must generate a monitoring plan for students and expectations for learning that will be implemented in each classroom by Feb. 13;
•Cotter and her staff must review instruction at MHS and mark walk through and observation forms, offering assistance to those who are not meeting high standards of instruction by Dec. 20, 2014.

Everything was ok for the longest time. Cotter was given glowing reports when she became principal of MHS. Now, based on this article, she has a target on her back with Ison and Lolli doing their dead level best to label her as (again, I like this word used universally) "disgruntled". Management never tries to understand why a person is "disgruntled". They don't want to hear it because it just may be an indictment on their management style. They just label them as such with no day in court offered. Ironically, the article says she has obtained her superintendent's papers. She is liked by the teachers and students and, ironically, about a hundred teachers went to the school board meeting a few weeks ago to voice some displeasure over the supers communication skills, and, (could be wrong here), the hostile work environment that is within the district. Now, as one the teachers seem to like, Cotter is in this situation. Sounds like she is being singled out, they want to make an example of her and they want her out of the way......because she is a threat to their egos....IE- she is liked. And you wonder why I'm a tad bit hostile toward management.

THAT's what I get from this article as to underlying tones of possibility processor. You don't see any of this as being a possibility? You'll have to forgive me if my opinion of upper management and the games they play with their subordinates. at times, goes beyond the point of decency in the working environment.

I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
Factguy View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Factguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 09 2015 at 11:19am
You are completely off mark Viet Vet with your opinion. Cotter received a rather lukewarm, but warm and fuzzy evaluation a few years ago. The heat has been turned up by the state of Ohio associated with the student performance not only at the district level overall, but its distinct parts. The high school is not performing. The principal has direct responsibility for the high school. From my readings, your posts always indicate the private sector holds those accountable for results. Now the superintendent demonstrates, like your desires for the school system as it is in private sector affairs, that the principal has to get positive results, and you now blast the leadership for blaming the leader responsible unfairly. Should we hold the janitor or bus driver accountable instead? A few teachers support Cotter because they want a cushion of protection, and not heat and accountability.  

The board correctly extended the current superintendent's contract balancing the teachers supporting the principal attempted to shield them for further accountability and increasing performance everyone expects.      

processor View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote processor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 09 2015 at 11:23am
I can see where it's possible that they perceive Cotter getting her Superintendent's license as a threat and Ison and Lolli want to get rid of her before she's a threat to their jobs but I think this is very unlikely. I think it's a red herring that Cotter has thrown out there. It's never pleasant to hear that you're not doing a good job and it's easy to blame or look for excuses. Unfortunately I can understand where Cotter is coming from given her good previous reviews. This was definitely an admin screw up.

But if Cotter is tasked with making major test score improvements and she doesn't even have a plan to make it happen it makes me wonder if she's in the wrong position for her skill set. Cotter is a very friendly, supportive and likable person who cares deeply for the students and staff. I just don't know if she can be an effective change agent where, unfortunately, some ruffling of feathers is required.
middie.lifer View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote middie.lifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 09 2015 at 11:29am
Vet, I have read these forums for a long time, and have never said anything.
In this instance you are DEAD SPOT ON.  

Your synopsis is EXACTLY what is taking place.  Mrs. Cotter had glowing evaluations prior to Lolli/Ison, but has dared to question them, and is a significant threat to their way of operation.  That's so strange.  Rasmussen had a tremendously positive impact on our district, appointed Mrs. Cotter because he saw the same qualities (ability to motivate, lead, and affect change in a positive manner)…. as soon as he's left town, the hammer drops?  Uncanny.  Not to mention- the high school scores are far and beyond the most reassuring in the district, but this isn't mentioned by Ison.  Funny.  

Is there more work to be done?  Of course!  I don't think any teacher at the high school (let alone in the district) is OKAY with the report card results.  There's a lot that can be said on this, but I think that the teachers and principals of MCSD are doing a great job addressing the "whole" child, but unfortunately that isn't part of the report card.  I do agree that the scores need to be much higher… maybe if there was more focus on parent involvement and accountability, students would get the push to succeed from both directions (school and home).  There are many many child development/motivation factors from outside at play here, but I digress.  Maybe if Ison and Company would spend less time ensuring the demise of our district, they could focus on providing the resources and programs that our students and teachers need.

Lolli has a proven track record of decimation and destruction.  Look no further than Monroe, Barberton… or even her last "tenure" here in the 80s.  Ison was not a huge factor at Lebanon either; teachers there report that he was mainly oblivious to what was going on, but showed up for things (especially sports) when it was important to be a face guy.  

Tigers do not change their stripes.  And they CERTAINLY act in a predatory nature toward anything/anyone that threatens their livelihood.  Middletown needs to wake up!

Factguy View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Factguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 09 2015 at 12:09pm
The conspiracy theories and rationale for these actions distract from the efforts the administration and board has taken for years, to move Middletown forward. Ison just received a multi-year contract and retired. His position is therefore secure and sustainable. Cotter accepted the performance at the school she manages, needs to improve. There are existing superintendents whom are available to lead Middletown, and other MCSD leaders whom also have the superintendent license. For anyone to indicate Ison put Cotter on a performance plan as she is a threat to a long-term contract received is engaging in idle gossip and unproductive activity.   
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 09 2015 at 12:41pm
Originally posted by Factguy Factguy wrote:

The conspiracy theories and rationale for these actions distract from the efforts the administration and board has taken for years, to move Middletown forward. Ison just received a multi-year contract and retired. His position is therefore secure and sustainable. Cotter accepted the performance at the school she manages, needs to improve. There are existing superintendents whom are available to lead Middletown, and other MCSD leaders whom also have the superintendent license. For anyone to indicate As part of the plan for improvement:

Factguy, your comments indicate that you just started in the working world yesterday and your gullibility is astounding.

Fact: Ison was called on it for his lack of leadership, communication and creating a hostile working environment with the typical "my way or the highway" management style.

Fact: The teachers support this principal and the students like her.
Fact: She was ok until Ison had to find a fallperson for his shortcomings because he't not man enough to admit his shortcomings and that he has room for improvement. This indicates to me that he has an ego problem and is playing King by declaring all who disagree with him as a target for extermination from his little kingdom. No dissenters here. Play the game or else. Lolli is the hatchet person. The thing Lolli doesn't realize is that after she does the dirth work for Ison, she could be next to go. Has happened before.

Fact: It is not a new thing that the district has been doing poorly. It has been going on for quite some time. We have talked about this for years here on this forum. Why, all of a sudden, under the same poor performing situation, has Ison now targeted Cotter for what he knows has been transpiring for years. It is not a sudden revelation. He is using her as a scapegoat for his inability to do his job satisfactorily. HE should be on trial here, not Cotter. She is a subordinate and if she falls, he should fall also.

One more thing. Why is a Director of Curriculum and an HR Asst Director evaluating a principal when she reports to the Super? Seems as if this is a situation of convenience to remove what is now perceived as a "non-team player". Ison wants the position. Ison wants the pay. Ison wants the authority......but ISON DOES NOT WANT THE RESPONSIBILITY WHEN SOMETHING BAD HAPPENS. HE ONLY WANTS TO LAY CLAIM TO THINGS IF THEY ARE POSITIVE. He is the big dog in the school district. It is time he starts acting like it instead of a self-centered opportunist with the only shovel and pail in the sandbox, being man enough to take the blame as well as the praise when it is warranted.

Cotter accepted the conditions because she had to under the circumstances. If not, she would have been out the door by now. A no win situation when management places you in that situation. Apparently, you have never been included in a downsizing. That is exactly what they do. They tell you, leave now, or, if you refuse, we'll make it so bad, you'll leave on your own. So you move on.

Oh, and Factguy, I believe Ison's contract states they can fire him after a few (2?) years. It is NOT necessarily sustainable nor secure after the two year mark.
chmoore1 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chmoore1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 09 2015 at 1:05pm
Since contract renewals are coming up (and have been made at least for Mr. Ison), can the Journal-News get copies of the evaluations for Ison and Lolli? Ison has been with the district for four years, the last two as Superintendent. His previous position for two years was something like Student Achievement, or curriculum. Lolli has been a retread in MCSD for about the same number of years. So, do their evaluations reflect their ownership of High School performance? Ison's contract supposedly has a 90-day "you haven't done the job so goodbye" clause. If he does leave under that clause, guess who is the most immediate successor: Dr. Lolli! One side note, Dr. Lolli said in Mrs. Cotter's evaluation that she has not successfully followed a professional growth plan. I would say that obtaining her superintendent's license is about as high up the ladder that she can go. (Remember, Mr. Ison doesn't have his Ph.D, either). Once again, just 1chmoore, on the side of the road watching the parade.
Factguy View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Factguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 09 2015 at 1:05pm
Not one of your points is factual. Ison is a superintendent and once was a principal at Lebanon High School. He knows it is the principal's position and responsibility for a school as its manager and leader, not the superintendent . You would fire a CEO of a major corporation because a secretary stole a stapler or a pen? Moreover, you of all people, have a tirade over accountability. When its shown by strong leadership, you cry foul. The district attempts to put in place measures to raise scores, which you have criticized relentlessly. But, you support the continuation of a leader at a school that is given notice performance must improve? The district finally takes steps for accountability and stepping it up in performance, and the ones screaming the city doesn't get it done, are the first to complain when the district holds leaders accountable. Strange.            
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 09 2015 at 2:13pm
wow--what an interesting read today, from the sensationalism of the large MJ article to the outside of the school system postings here....
A lot of validity coming from everyone, and as usual, throwing blame instead of shouldering blame.

So--I know that u r all anxiously awaiting spiderjohn's insight!! lol..

Our school performance(and city admin performance) has been rated poorly for close to two decades. We are no longer blue ribbon or all-American. Jerry Lucas, Paul Walker, Tiger Ellison, Armco International, downtown, Breiel center, Towne Mall etc. are long-gone. The leadership void and upper-income family exodus was replaced by fed gov-subsidized families, and the result has lanquished for over ten years.

Who is responsible? Short answer is ALL OF US imo.
No one wants to get deeply involved without a substantial payday, and everyone is far too comfortable continuing to vote/support the same names that they have seen for decades even though they haven't made much dent in our progress.

New faces are brought in by the power brokers to preach the same message and use the same tactics, chanting the mantra, "the fix will take time--it can't happen overnight". Well--those of us that have been here throughout have heard it all for far too long without anything improving much around us, while immediate surrounding communities have grown, experienced a greater level of success and passed us by. hmmm...

As for our schools--2 years ago the principal was given high marks--the teachers seem to like her--the students seem to like her. That is all good, though the progress has not been as steady or as much as hoped/needed. Now we read where she is an issue, and has to "improve academics, test scores and discipline immediately" while bringing up morale. Sounds pretty tough to impossible imo. Of course, our long-term administrators, BOE and supers are doing everything possible and blameless?

It is pretty much the same with city admin--the same crew controls everything(Council, MMF, Chamber, Admin), yet there is not a lot of accountability at the top. The blame comes down to people posting on MUSA and those not buying in to the methods used now and in the past.

YES--we are part of the problem also. We don't unite, put our foot down, and orchestrate some type of potential re-organization/change hopefully for the better. We simply don't try or work hard enough to better ourselves through the VERY tough process of "change". We remain divisive, pointing fingers everywhere but at ourselves. We are all responsible for the situation in which we find ourselves.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 09 2015 at 2:27pm

Not one of your points is factual. Ison is a superintendent and once was a principal at Lebanon High School. He knows it is the principal's position and responsibility for a school as its manager and leader, not the superintendent . You would fire a CEO of a major corporation because a secretary stole a stapler or a pen? Moreover, you of all people, have a tirade over accountability. When its shown by strong leadership, you cry foul. The district attempts to put in place measures to raise scores, which you have criticized relentlessly. But, you support the continuation of a leader at a school that is given notice performance must improve? The district finally takes steps for accountability and stepping it up in performance, and the ones screaming the city doesn't get it done, are the first to complain when the district holds leaders accountable. Strange.            

Good Lord. you are clueless as to what is happening son. Sometimes, ya just can't reason with one so far detached from reality.

Read the dam story Factguy! The facts are taken from the story. Mercy.

Strong leadership? You have the audacity to call the Ison/Lolli gangup strong leadership? It is nothing more than a leader who is so weak and egotistical that he can't face failure within his own job structure. ISON, as superintendent, is RESPONSIBLE for all activity within the district and those who are his subordinates. HE needs to take the blame for things like this and not throw his people under the dam bus. Hardly a dynamic leader. Rather, a weak, shallow, no scruples type of leader who is now in the sacrificial lamb mode with his henchperson, Lolli. She has a history of being a problem child wherever she's been and someone on here stated that Ison wasn't a prize catch for Lebanon either. Anyone know some insider info about how the people of Lebanon rated Ison?

The district hasn't gotten off Go in the old Monopoly game for decades. The story indicates an indicator of 3 met and an "F" in other categories. This is the same results we have been seeing for years. It is not a new thing but all of a sudden Ison wants to start ousting people for not producing when it has been accepted for years. No warning and why only Cotter here? You mean to tell me that she is the ONLY ONE who is responsible for the poor results? Why not the principal at the middle school? Why not the principals at the elementaries? They're not doing too well either on producing acceptable academic results. You don't find that a tad bit peculiar?

You really are lost in space aren't you.

Factguy View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Factguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 09 2015 at 2:32pm
You make very solid points. There is much blame to go around, and occasional praise as well. If you read the sensational article, which is agreed, the Journal did a hit job on the district in National Enquirer style, Marcia Andrew references the fact the state changed the evaluation process recently. In her words, paraphrasing of course, you could do almost nothing, and get a fine evaluation. That has changed. That also changed the evaluation of the principal. If a principal is not held in a standard as required by the state, how can the principal hold teachers under her, for accountable measures. It has to be implemented, or the old system of showing up and you get tenure, never changes. Coincidentally, neither does increased performance. In a world everyone gets a trophy, don't you want some accountability for a change?

Factguy View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Factguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 09 2015 at 2:49pm
A man was walking downtown yesterday and discarded a cigarette butt. The city has a crew with a Director responsible for cleaning and maintenance. Viet Vet called city council demanding City Manager Adkins be removed from his contract for non performance. He failed to pick up a cigarette butt. Council is taking it under advisement.LOL 
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 09 2015 at 3:49pm

A man was walking downtown yesterday and discarded a cigarette butt. The city has a crew with a Director responsible for cleaning and maintenance. Viet Vet called city council demanding City Manager Adkins be removed from his contract for non performance. He failed to pick up a cigarette butt. Council is taking it under advisement.LOL 

Good one, but rather juvenile in nature. Wouldn't surprise me that only in this city would one find a top heavy, six figure ladened position of Director of cigarette butts. They seem to thrive on too much management and not enough workers in their department structures. Could it be that you are probably one of those excessive top heavy managers?

VietVet wouldn't call city council because he knows that there is no one home with any clue and if contacted, would waste another three months deciding on a solution and then only speak when they were told by the MMF as to what response to give.

Removing Adkins shouldn't rely on a cigarette butt being discarded. Better yet, just him showing up for work and participating in another day's work of city ruination should be enough to show him the door. He started the non-performance gig years ago as he successfully made the city look like a bombed out Dresden.   
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote middie.lifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 09 2015 at 3:54pm
If you would like facts, here are some:  

Every school in the district has a C for a performance index score, and an F for "indicators met" as of last year's report card.  There are two schools (Creekview and Amanda) that have a D for performance index and F for indicators met.  If MHS' performance index and indicators met are the same as elsewhere… and this is the only principal under scrutiny… I'm just saying.  

Also, in the last three years, Mrs. Cotter has lead MHS from an F/F graduation rate (that's 4 year rate/5 year rate) to a C/C graduation rate.  Continuous upward trend on getting their kids prepared to graduate.  Kids don't graduate unless they meet state requirements, so don't tell me that they're just "letting them pass."  

From ODE Website:
School Perf. Index Indicators Met Overall Progress Gap Closing
Amanda D F A F
Central C F F F
Creekview F A F
Highview C F B F
Mayfield C F A F
MHS C F NR F
MMS C F A F
Miller Ridge C F C F
Rosa Parks C F B F
Wildwood C F A F

Here is an attempt to graph the graduation rates from 2010-2014:

The blue line represents the 4 year graduation rate and the red line represents the 5 year graduation rate- percentage of students who met state requirements to graduate.  This graph also encompasses Cotter's time at the helm of MHS.  

Are these spectacular scores?  Of course not.  Do you think that the teachers in MCSD are happy about them, or complacent?  I haven't met one single teacher who is ok with this.  However, my point is to show you that there are upward trends being ignored, and that there are schools/principals that are struggling equally across the board that are not met with quite the same amount of derision by this "evaluator."  
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote middie.lifer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 09 2015 at 3:59pm
Ok, the graph didn't work.  Here is the data, if you'd like to plot your own:

5 year rate 78 82.9 85.8
4 year rate 72.6 74.3 78.6 84.9
2010 2011 2012 2013
"Note: The five-year graduation rate does not appear in the final year of this graph because the necessary data is not yet available to calculate the 5-year rate for that school year." -ODE

Again, this is all from the ODE website.  If you plot these data points, they make a VERY beautiful, sharp upward climb the entire tenure of her leadership.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 09 2015 at 5:25pm
So, Factguy, it looks as if the data submitted by middie.lifer, explains that Cotter is making improvements and her performance is on the upswing rather than the situation painted by Ison and Lolli that she has gotten worse in her performance. It also appears that we have schools that are in worse shape than MHS, but I don't read where the principals of the problem schools are receiving this kind of treatment.......only Cotter.

That is called discrimination and that is a no-no in the workplace and can lead to a wrongful termination lawsuit and litigation money spent the district doesn't have. All, for the purpose of massaging Ison's ego and power lust attitude.

One could assume that this is a blatant singling out of one individual who is taking an unjustified hit when there are poorer performing principals out there and it isn't about the sudden concern about making the district perform better, rather, it is about a vindictive plot to make her leave the district because she may be perceived as some kind of threat. It cannot be anything other than that.
Smartman View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smartman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 09 2015 at 5:34pm
Vet, You and I have had our battles over time. Its great that we can agree to disagree. I have to agree with everything you said in your response to the article. Mrs Cottler is a true gem for Middletown High. She is the person to guide staff and students. In the article is says she was sent to observe 2 principals. Hamilton where the principal had only been in the position for a year. Here is some food for thought. The 2nd observation was at Fairborn HS. Any idea who the principal is? Well his name is Mr. Gene Lolli. That's right.....Libby Lolli's husband!!!! Real fair evaluation. Maybe just maybe Mrs Lolli is trying to get her husband here. Just food for thought. Google Fairborn High School to verify what I'm saying!
Factguy View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Factguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 09 2015 at 6:12pm
Its disappointing when the city and school board begins to hold all to accountable standards and results, excuses, mutiny, and circle the wagons to protect status quo come to the forefront. The newspaper article was providing more details (for those that didn't already know it), what created the union "outcry" associated with Superintendent  Ison. The fuel for the outcry was Ms. Cotter, who orchestrated the participants and involved Rick McCrabb to stir things up. It was unsuccessful, as all know, with Superintendent Ison getting a nice contract after retirement. As for the graduation results, success and improvement is measured on performance improvement and closing the gap. It is the acceptance of mediocrity that has stymied Middletown, when so many within the musa community suggest they want it to improve. You cried foul when section 8 was high. To address that, city council and Doug Adkins reduce it. You all were upset by that action. You decry how the district school district is failing and must improve. The district holds a principal to be accountable for turning the scores around. You say she's a victim, and mediocrity is acceptable. Go figure.     

Smartman View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smartman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 09 2015 at 6:27pm
Hey factguy! Not sure where you came from nor do I care. Get your facts straight. This is a post from the Journals website. It is from Phil Salm who was the school resource officer for a long time. He knows Mrs Cotter better than anyone!

Posted by psalm9141 at 9:36 a.m. Feb. 9, 2015
Report Abuse

I write this reply as a warning to the schools and the community that has already lost too much. Please heed my warning.

I warn you not to evaluate Mrs. Cotter on test scores alone. Test scores are just one small part of what makes up a kid. Think of what our society would be if we only judged each other on test scores. Think of how many people would be passed over because they couldn't score high on a test. How many good workers would be passed up if it was all about grades? The hard workers who tested low because they had a learning disability, worked two jobs on top of being a student to help pay bills or lived in a house where mom and dad work two jobs and its their responsibility to help care for their younger siblings.

Yes, I said it, but those are just a handful of challenges facing Middletown students. Middletown has some rough edges. I know, I lived and breathed Middletown for fifteen years as an officer in Middletown. More importantly, the last seven were spent as the school resource officer at Middletown High School. As the school resource officer, I had a unique look at the community and school district since I was an outsider working on the inside. I can tell you personally, that you are missing the bigger picture by only looking at grades as a benchmark.

I urge you to judge Mrs. Cotter by her entire body of work and not just one element. She took over a school that was in turmoil and disarray. Anyone who worked in that school eight years ago would tell you it was night and day difference from then till now. The attitude from the top to the bottom was terrible and she was a key part to changing it. Everyone wants to look at test scores especially the ranking school officials because they can easily make a decision on that. "Passing" you stay-"Failing" your gone, but that about the hard look?

Where do we evaluate a person on making a better student? Not just on test scores, but a student learning to be a better citizen. Face it, that is what schools are really producing. Kids learning to be adults. Look back eight years ago at the scores, discipline and arrests. Also look back eight years ago and look at the community. The school is a direct reflection of the community. The community financially was sliding downhill and so was the school. Take a look now! That city is no better off, but discipline is better, the school is above average in graduating seniors and I can assure you, attitudes in the school are better. Look no further than the School's Union coming to the defense of the person who disciplines them! I can also assure you, the environment at the high school is better than the one in the administration building. And that is what is truly driving this.

Look deep Middletown. You are a great community and over the past twenty years you've lost a lot. Don't let this opportunity pass you by and loose another key element. This is not about money, its about politics. Look at the big picture and ask yourself, "Are Middletown Students better or worse with Mrs. Cotter at the helm?" Stand up for Mrs. Cotter as she stands up for each student in that district. Not just the kids at the high school, but every kid in that district. I say that because I know she is the last person to give them a hug before they become citizens by placing their tassels form one side of their cap to the other.

Respectful Submitted,
Philip Salm
Smartman View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smartman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 09 2015 at 6:31pm
Hey Factguy. Question. Before her picture was in the paper did you know who she was? Have you been at activities where she has been involve with the students? Have you seen her handle the needy students or the ones that need discipline? If not I place you in the same category as Sam and Libby!
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 09 2015 at 7:01pm

Its disappointing when the city and school board begins to hold all to accountable standards and results, excuses, mutiny, and circle the wagons to protect statusquo come to the forefront. The newspaper article was providing more details (for those that didn't already know it), what created the union "outcry" associated with Superintendent  Ison. The fuel for the outcry was Ms. Cotter, who orchestrated the participants and involved Rick McCrabb to stir things up. It was unsuccessful, as all know, with Superintendent Ison getting a nice contract after retirement. As for the graduation results, success and improvement is measured on performance improvement and closing the gap. It is the acceptance of mediocrity that has stymied Middletown, when so many within the musa community suggest they want it to improve. You cried foul when section 8 was high. To address that, city council and Doug Adkins reduce it. You all were upset by that action. You decry how the district school district is failing and must improve. The district holds a principal to be accountable for turning the scores around. You say she's a victim, and mediocrity is acceptable. Go figure.     

A little off subject with the Section 8 comment Factguy but city council, under the Gilleland Administration, and Adkins, as her right hand man in tearing down everything in sight and declaring the city 54% poverty, were both participants in the Section 8 ghetto making crap that has occurred. Adkins and the clowns on council get no credit for trying to reduce it when they helped increase the numbers to begin with.

Mediocrity has always been acceptable in the school district. Look at the condition of the academics. Been that way for over a decade.

Look at the proficiency test scores in all grades in all categories, the low indicator numbers and the years at Continuous Improvement and tell me that the "gap is closing" Horsecrap!

It is NOT the "acceptance of mediocrity that has stymied Middletown". It is the bullheaded mindset of the city leadership, refusing to listen to and deliver against what the people want while focusing on an agenda that was, and is, a special interest, misguided, misdirected cluster of poor decisions that no town would follow if they wanted to succeed.

Funny, Cotter said there was no orchestration in the school board meeting with the teachers. You disagree. Where did you get your information to differ from Cotter?

WHY is it just now, after years of school performance ineptitude, that the "city and school board is now adopting the accountability"thing? Seems to me that the time is awfully suspicious just after Ison was called for his inability to provide a decent working environment for his subordinates. The guy has issues being a super and the top administrator for the district. He is not willing to admit he has issues and that makes him a poor leader if his idea to improve is to rid himself of all of his critics. When you exhibit an unwillingness to admit that you are human and have flaws, and are unwilling to work to improve yourself, you cease to be an effective leader. How can you judge other's flaws as a manager if you can't fairly judge your own flaws? In this case, Ison has chosen to also add a flavor of vindictiveness to his personality to add to his unwillingness to change. Fire the man....and make it a doubleheader by firing Lolli. Both have now demonstrated they are a cancer for the district and will only be a liability from now on. Why keep them?
Factguy View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Factguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 09 2015 at 7:06pm
No problem at all with Ms. Cotter, but don't like the tactics used to save the job. The fact you posted a letter written per request, with others, demonstrates all of this effort is more like a political or popularity campaign, than focusing on the real task at hand. Just get the results up. We have to improve everything within the city. Many know the bar has been too late for too long. We try to raise it while others go back to lowering it.  Another negative self destruction article about Middletown highlighting failures or misfires. The school board is comfortable with Superintendent Ison and his decisions, and with Ms. Lolli.     
Paul Nagy View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Nagy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 09 2015 at 7:07pm
Smartman/Philip Salm,
         Thank you for such a great and poignant reply. Factguy is a spin meister and doesn't deal in truth or facts.
Your reply is very important to the future of Middletown. I would only add that we can watch and count on Marcia Andrew's leadership to come through. The world and Middletown is in turmoil and chaos we need strong responses like your to keep us on course.
          Paul  Nagy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic