FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What the???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What the???
    Posted: May 29 2019 at 3:21am
Where do I begin?

First, we seem to be removing we mere citizens from the jurisdiction of the courts!!!  "Ain't that nice!"

Next, we seem to be subjecting the citizenry to very high interest (30%?) loans for the community center!  I wonder who we are borrowing the money from???

I don't know where to start….

“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
buddhalite View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buddhalite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2019 at 4:42am
That's only the beginning....

I mean - if we give the land under the old middle school to this developer - why he'll just improve all the surrounding properties 275% by waving a magic wand and building useless housing in which no one wants to live.

Oh yeah - the journal story on it literally says that the developer is going to destroy a historic neighborhood to create and economic juggernaut!  I'm still laughing and I read that hours ago.

The community center thing - what did I miss on the 30% loans?  I will admit I havent paid much attention to that one...

Who needs courts - just pay your fine like a good little comrade and all will be well - and don't pay late - your social score will be hurt and your fine will double if you're a bad citizen.

My oh my.
"Every government intervention [in the marketplace] creates unintended consequences, which lead to calls for further government interventions." -Ludwig van Mises
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2019 at 8:00am
One of the proposers for this new development is the same person who bought the old library on First Ave. for 5 grand. The Journal write-up told us that the man was going to develop this property and it would take around 4 million to create what he planned to do. I haven't heard where he has taken the first step in property improvement. IMO, only a fool would spend 5 grand for a building and want to plow 4 million into it to bring the plan to fruition. They will never recoup their money, much less make a profit, especially in the downtown area where interest is severely limited.

Why would the city buy into a new proposal from this guy without first seeing whether or not he is going to do anything with the library property? He has no proven track record.

Is this just another individual who is a carbon copy of Grau and a repeat of the Manchester Hotel promises not kept? Does he have the financial backing to accomplish what he is proposing or is he just another visionary who doesn't have the means to back up his ideas?

Seems as if the city has a habit of listening to, and entering into an agreement with faux developers who, in the end, produce absolutely nothing. How many times has this occurred and how many times have we seen no promises kept in the past?

Furthermore, the area of town around the old high school includes Girard, Baltimore and streets that have a checkered past as to crime including shootings and drugs. Even if you brought new housing into the area, how long would it remain "new"? How soon would they have it torn to pieces? Realistically, you couldn't attract decent people into that area who would want to live among the violence that occurs from time to time. The whole culture of that area of town would have to change to create a quality neighborhood IMO. Harsh? Maybe. Cruel? Perhaps. Realistic assessment? Yes. It is what it is.
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic