FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Buying Sorg Mansion

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
rngrmed View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rngrmed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 28 2010 at 5:07pm
Originally posted by VietVet VietVet wrote:

Hermes, may I remind you who lives right down the street from the Sorg? Mr. Kohler. Mr. Mulligan and other prominent city leaders who live in this area would never allow the section 8, hooker, drugs, beer can thing to transpire in their area. The S. Main St. Historical Society would never let this happen.

LOL..there is a house of ill repute right across the street from our dear mayor.  You can sit watch cars come and go all day.  The woman houses hookers and lets the do their "work" there...not to mention his proximity to the 18th street projects and all the problems that go on there...
Smartman View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smartman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 28 2010 at 6:47pm
The Sorg should be perserved. It is an important part of our history. Just like the theatre should be taken out of the hands of that riduclous music store. The theatre carries so much history itself. But what is it used for?? Rastling events!!! ( Thats wrestling to you educated folks). Many do not know that there was a tunnel that ran from the mansion to that theatre. Its probably gone.

The Armco Band perfomed there on a regular basis. Is that not part of our history? They put M-town on the map. The first broadcasts of 700 WLW took place there. They were the reason John Phillip Sousa came to town and recruited Frank Simon.

There is a 3rd floor balcony in the theatre with bench seats. In the day as they were called, those were the colored seats! The theatre is a wonderful old hall that if restored could add much to the so called arts district along with the home itself. Its our history y'all and we need to perserve what little we have left.

Granted some of the old building downtown are beyond repair. These 2 are part of our heritage. lmo Thumbs%20Up
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 28 2010 at 7:48pm
I don't get our so called historical society. Isn't preservation part of their duty ? Doesn't historical societies fight for preservation ?

Where are they when it comes to the cemetery and the Sorg house ? Correct me if I am wrong.
No more democrats no more republicans,vote Constitution Party !!
Bill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 28 2010 at 9:06pm
Smartman, who should "preserve" it?  I don't want to pay for it.  Who the h*ll would go there anyway?
Smartman View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smartman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 28 2010 at 9:23pm
Bill I don't expect you to go there nor pay for it. It would need to be people that have appreciation of the arts and historical places. There are grants out there to preserve these kind of places.
Talking Heads View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Talking Heads Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 28 2010 at 11:21pm
Rhodes, sounds like you are "in the know" and have a real beef with the owners/former owners.  From what I understand, Section 8 was not a part of the Sorg property (that could be verified by CONSOC) and the drug dealing was part of a sting operation and taken care of, according to the police. I seriously doubt there was any "milking" going on...do you have any idea how much it costs to run a property such as that? You might take a lesson in economics before you accuse people.  Seems Smartman understands this better than most.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 29 2010 at 6:31am
Smartman- you mentioned that to pay for this, there would "need to be people that have an appreciation for the arts and historical places". A few weeks ago, I saw a whole council chamber full of people who spoke in support of the arts when they testified how wonderful the new Verdin Arts Center is going to be and how "enriching" the arts would be good for Middletown. People from out of town threw in their support as well. Where are those people now and where is there support to maintain this artzy/historical places subject we are discussing here? I'm guessing that it was easy to get up and tell the world how they supported the arts when it was no risk to them financially and taxpayer money would be at risk, but if they need to commit their own resources to the arts, we don't hear a peep out of them, do we? Me thinks they talk out both sides of their mouths. and when forced into a corner as to a personal financial commitment they show their true colors and are actually wanna-be, self-important, self-righteous pretenders.
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 29 2010 at 9:38am
Spot on, Vet(and I love it when you quote Bob Dylan.
The downtown enablers need more of the Pendleton-type deals to prop up the property investments in the area. Actually a little property maintenence and out-door cleaning of their frontage would help considerably.
Embarrassing how filthy the building exteriors have become, while owned by many of the out-spoken "stakeholders" in the area. The "new" store fronts are already showing age and neglect, despite many of the buildings not having a tenant since the improvements(a real waste of taxpayer $$).

Sorg Theater complex/Sorg Mansion--turn one of them into a major "haunted house" complex.
Both are far too expensive for anyone to re-hab realistically.

TudorBrown View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TudorBrown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 29 2010 at 10:27pm
Originally posted by Bocephus Bocephus wrote:

Originally posted by lewcrippen12 lewcrippen12 wrote:

I took tap dance lesson in one of the apartment & the walls have hand curved faces in the cherry colored wood.

Thanks

Regards
Lew

Outsource Telemarketing
Lap dance lessons you say ?

HAHAHAHAHA LOL
angelababy View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angelababy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 18 2010 at 3:09am
If they buy this then they had damn well better fix up the cemetery. Right is right and wrong is wrong. It is wrong to spend that kind of money and not fix up the cemetery.
Lostdafire View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lostdafire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 28 2010 at 11:25am
I drove by the Sorg Mansion today and there was a chain across the entrance at the 2nd and Main entrance with a do not enter, private property sign.   A similar sign was on the fence further south on S. Main St. 

The complex appeared empty. 

I was surprised by this and returned to this thread to check on any updates.
swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 28 2010 at 11:34am
Originally posted by Lostdafire Lostdafire wrote:

I drove by the Sorg Mansion today and there was a chain across the entrance at the 2nd and Main entrance with a do not enter, private property sign.   A similar sign was on the fence further south on S. Main St. 

The complex appeared empty. 

I was surprised by this and returned to this thread to check on any updates.
It's been that way for several months now.
viper771 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote viper771 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 28 2010 at 2:19pm
Some was in there the other day either working on the Sorg and Guest house, or just taking a look at what needed to be done.
swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 28 2010 at 2:32pm
I understand there was a gas leak there.

viper771 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote viper771 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 28 2010 at 5:11pm
It doesn't surprise me. From what my wife saw (she drove by and the curtains in the guest house were tied up) she could see the vast amount of water damage on the walls from leaks (reminds me of our house). The plumber who redid our main water line was saying they had some big plumbing leak in the basement of the main house, but it took a week to find where it was. Something about it being within the actual foundation and they had a hell of a time getting to it.
Rhodes View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhodes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 29 2010 at 2:15pm
Did the Sorg Mansion have the leak that took a week to find? Did it flood the basement? I saw about 2 or 3 work trucks and maybe a work van there a couple weeks ago. A lot of traffic at the time so I couldn't see what all was going on.

Did anyone find out if this is sold or not? I have to say that it does look a little abandoned these days, but looks better without all the junker cars in the parking lot when all the apartments used to be rented.
swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 29 2010 at 2:37pm
It's my understanding the Opera House had a leak that was difficult to find. 

I am referring to a gas leak, not water leak.  Although I do understand there are issues with the carriage house.
viper771 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote viper771 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 30 2010 at 12:34am
I didn't know anything about a gas leak, but it doesn't surprise me. I think the main house still has working gas lights. Even the carriage house still has the old equipment from when it was a mini power plant.

I hope it is all fixed up though. If I had the money I would do it. But it does look better without the crappy cars out there.
swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 30 2010 at 10:21am
The pipes that burst were in the carriage house.
viper771 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote viper771 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 30 2010 at 1:23pm
:(
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic