FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Red Light Camera in Operation

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Red Light Camera in Operation
    Posted: May 27 2009 at 2:45pm
Guilland also states:
Red Light Camera in Operation
The new company, Redflex Traffic Systems, is now in full operation.  Warning citations, with no fine, have been issued for violations captured on 05-01-09 through 05-16-09.  Beginning Sunday, 05-17-09, violations captured will be issued a citation with the civil fine of $100.  This company also affords us greater technology in reports and monitoring.

Just what does this mean? Will the citizens soon be getting speeding tickets as Redflex does in some other cities?
Middletown News View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown News Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2009 at 3:09pm
Don't red light cameras make people more likely to stop at red lights? Same thing that would happen if you parked a police cruiser at the intersection. The police car and man cost the city big bucks. The red light camera is not only free, it also pays the city little bucks.

Let the bashing begin.
General Patton View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Patton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2009 at 3:10pm
Illegal phone taps are next on the horizon for us compliments of the Middletown Gestapo!

General Patton
John Beagle View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2009 at 3:12pm
As Michael Jackson would say, 'that's ignorant.'

Red Light cameras are the worst kind of tax. A tax on the citizens that mostly gets shipped out of town into private hands.

Red light cameras cause accidents with big rigs because they can't afford to get a red light ticked and maintain their cdl. See those big coils of steel on the back of all those AK trucks? yes they have been known to break loose and fall onto cars.

That means that Red Light Cameras can kill.
John Beagle

Middletown USA

News of, for and by the people of Middletown, Ohio.
Middletown News View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown News Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2009 at 3:14pm
Fear mongering, that's all that is. Red light cameras make sense. They work and they generate income for the city.

There is only one thing worse than ignorance and that is preying on the ignorance of others with fear.
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Patton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2009 at 3:18pm

Twice last week I had to slam on my brakes as green lights went to red in record time.  I was not speeding..........never do.  It took all that my brakes could muster from stopping in the middle of the intersections.  If anyone else has had similar situations you might wish to bring those to the attention of Mr. Haller.

More mockery of Middletown is on the way compliments of the Cincinnati print and broadcast media.  What a town??

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2009 at 3:28pm
Jonathan- Basher #1 here- as I've stated before, it's a "Big Brother-too much government in your life" thing with me. I don't like government authority dictating/watching aspects of my life because I don't respect most government authority as they usually cluster every thing they try.(and alot of things are none of their dam business) When these red light cameras were introduced, did this city government give the people a say? They dictated that we would have them. What are the traffic accident statistics at the red light intersections BEFORE and AFTER installation? If there is no significant differences, there is no justification to keep the red light program. To date, no info. like this has been provided by the city. The citizens have a right to know the outcome of the programs that are forced on them. If no data is provided, then it indicates that this is only a money generating program and there is little concern for the safety aspect, as advertised, from the city. It is bogus. JMO
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2009 at 3:44pm
As someone who has followed this situation from it's planning stages(I was strongly opposed at first solely for the Big Brother reasons) when I was on the Citizens' Advisory Board to the Police Dept., I strongly support this issue now.

AT THIS POINT IN TIME, it is completely about safety. We cannot afford the police manpower to monitor the key intersections. You have to BLATANTLY run a red light at reasonably high speed to trigger the camera. If ANY PART of your vehicle is across the stop line when the light turns red, you will NOT trigger the camera.

Do I think that the city gets a large enough % of the citation?  Absolutely not.

However--if you cannot stop in time, then you are driving too fast or not paying attention.
If big rigs are approaching key intersections at a rate of speed that leaves them unable to stop, then they are dangerously driving too fast.

I have yet to see or hear about a rear-ender resulting from someone stopping at a red light properly(obviously the vehicle travelling behind would have to be going too fast or not paying attention). And I would much prefer a few rear-enders as opposed to being t-boned at a dangerous intersection.

How many of you REALLY understand just how these cameras work?
Who really cares if a sensationalist headline-seeking talk show host uses this situation?

People--just stop at red lights.
Very simple and rational(not to mention the safety factor).
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2009 at 9:04pm
Originally posted by VietVet VietVet wrote:

Jonathan- Basher #1 here- as I've stated before, it's a "Big Brother-too much government in your life" thing with me. I don't like government authority dictating/watching aspects of my life because I don't respect most government authority as they usually cluster every thing they try.(and alot of things are none of their dam business)
Vet:
I completely agree!  That is why I can't understand your willingness to let City Hall dictate to you the decor of your home! Confused
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2009 at 10:20pm

Does anyone know where these cameras are at?  I haven't see a listing of the intersections, which leads me to think once again this is nothing more than a revenue generator.  Last time they at least listed the intersections in the journal.

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.

Thomas Jefferson
riverwind View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote riverwind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2009 at 6:22am
Spiderjohn, you got it: just stop at red lights. Just plain common sense. 
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2009 at 7:20am
Spider- Situation for you---- you are on Briel doing 35 to 45 MPH, a speed within the posted limit. You approach the intersection of Grand and Briel at 35-45 and your car is right at the crosswalk of the intersection. You decide there isn't enough time/distance at that speed to stop so you speed on through. By the time your car clears that intersection at 45, the light has already changed to red. The time to go from green to yellow to red is in what seems milli- seconds. There are several intersection lights that are timed the same way. There is absolutely no yellow light time on these lights. They literally "jump" from green to red. Perhaps there would be no need for these cameras if the city would time these lights to allow more time on the yellow to clear the intersection safely. Drivers are trying to speed up through an intersection because they know that the yellow caution won't be enough time before it turns red and the camera takes the picture. JMO
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote General Patton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2009 at 7:24am
WindyRiver -

Viet Vet speaks the truth as I have personally experienced.  Please tell your friends or co-workers at City Hall to adjust the timing of the lights.  The time that stoplights go from green to red is MILI-SECONDS!!

General Patton
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2009 at 7:24am
Pacman- they didn't go out of their way to publicize the locations- I remember reading one down on Oxford State Rd. or Yankee Rd. Don't remember the rest of the locations. Most aren't in the "mainstream" part of town I don't think.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2009 at 7:46am
They use to have about 4 on Breiel or East of Breiel if I remember correctly.  I have seen none now, which is fine with me, I rarely travel west of Breiel.
When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.

Thomas Jefferson
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 25 2011 at 7:07am
Well......imagine this.....today's Midd. Journal article....

THOUGHT THE CAMERAS WERE FOR SAFETY FIRST WITH THE ADDED BENEFIT OF REVENUE.....THE CITY SURE LIKES COUNTING THEIR TRAFFIC LIGHT REVENUE, DON'T THEY?

Red light cams netted $200K in 2010

MIDDLETOWN —Red light cameras spark controversy for generating revenue for cities, but police officials say they’re in place to save lives.

Middletown has nine red light cameras meant to catch motorists who disregard the traffic signals. Year to date, violations are down by about 200, totaling 1,906 tickets, according to the police department.

Those tickets have generated $70,559 so far — $31,751.55 of which has gone to pay Redflex Traffic Systems which operates the cameras for Middletown, according to the city finance department.

With an estimated $12 million budget for 2011, red light camera revenue arguably are but a drop in the police budget. Since the cameras were first installed in 2005, Maj. Mark Hoffman said they’ve been meant to increase safety at some of Middletown’s most dangerous intersections.

IS HOFFMAN AND OTHER POLICE OFFICIALS THE ONLY ONES THAT ARE STILL CLINGING TO THE OLD "IT'S FOR SAFETY AND HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH REVENUE" SLOGAN?

Where cameras are placed is always in flux. Several have been discontinued — such as the camera at Manchester Road and Breiel Boulevard — because accident activity decreased, Hoffman said.

SHOULD READ.....BECAUSE REVENUE DECREASED    IF THE CAMERAS WERE PLACED AT THESE INTERSECTIONS BECAUSE OF THE HIGH RISK OF ACCIDENT, WHY ARE THEY NOT STILL BEING MONITORED? MUST HAVE BEEN A REASON TO PUT 'EM THERE IN THE FIRST PLACE. WHY ARE YOU MOVING THEM?.....BECAUSE THEY ARE NOT GENERATING AS MUCH REVENUE AS BEFORE. THE HIGH RISK STILL REMAINS IF THE ROAD SPEED IS STILL HIGH AND THE QUICKNESS OF THE RED-YELLOW-GREEN LIGHT SEQUENCE HASN'T BEEN CHANGED TO ALLOW LONGER YELLOW LIGHTS TO CLEAR THE INTERSECTION.

A new national study by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety found that the rate of fatal red light crashes has decreased in the 62 largest cities across the country. However, the biggest drops came in cities that have red light cameras: 35 percent fewer crashes compared with 14 percent in cities without cameras. Only 14 of the cities polled had red light cameras, according to the study.

14 CITIES WITH RED LIGHT CAMERAS POLLED OUT OF A TOTAL OF 62 OF THE LARGEST CITIES.....HARDLY A LARGE ENOUGH BASE TO ESTABLISH DATA. IF THE RED LIGHT CAMERAS WERE SUCH A GOOD IDEA (BE IT REVENUE GENERATION OR FOR "SAFETY"), WOULDN'T THERE BE MORE THAN 14 ENJOYING THIS NEW FAD?

Residents concerned about their rights regarding the tickets can still receive their day in court just like they would for any other crime, Hoffman said.

YEAH RIGHT HOFFMAN. AND HOW DO YOU THINK THAT WILL GO FOR THE PERSON IN COURT, NO MATTER WHAT THE CIRCUMSTANCES ARE?
viper771 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote viper771 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 25 2011 at 3:21pm
You only get a ticket if you run a red light right?
ground swat View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ground swat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 25 2011 at 3:37pm
I have driven past the white line at a intersection while stopping, seen the flash but have not gotten a ticket, yet. Also taken a right turn off of 4 onto 14th by woodside  not stopping first because I saw No on coming traffic. The flash went off but again No ticket.  Did learn my lesson and think a little more before making quick turns.
LMAO View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LMAO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 25 2011 at 8:38pm
SWAT samething happen to me.I was really praying hard to be sent a ticket cos I was wanting  so bad to go to City Hall and telll them to prove it.
middletownscouter View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote middletownscouter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 26 2011 at 12:37pm
They now send you a link to an online video of the vehicle running the red light in addition to the still photos, so the proof is there.
John Beagle View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 26 2011 at 2:16pm
Video evidence stands up pretty well in court. But it is an interesting idea to test the legality of the fine.

Originally posted by middletownscouter middletownscouter wrote:

They now send you a link to an online video of the vehicle running the red light in addition to the still photos, so the proof is there.
John Beagle

Middletown USA

News of, for and by the people of Middletown, Ohio.
409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 29 2011 at 2:22pm
Spotted this new creature on westbound Grand Ave. between Dorset & Kensington....

middletownscouter View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote middletownscouter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 29 2011 at 3:17pm
Those pop up from time to time in places where people tend to speed. I've also seen the bigger towed ones on Manchester heading towards Dixie Highway and other areas.
viper771 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote viper771 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 29 2011 at 9:46pm
I still don't understand the problem. If people don't speed or run red lights, then they won't get a ticket. It could be a lot worse too!! When I lived in Germany, they had speed cameras set up in mobile vans all over the place or had them hidden in trees. They even had them built into the guardrails on the autobahn so you couldn't see them. But, at least the fines were more reasonable than in the US. My wife had a fine mailed to her, with her picture of her in her car doing 40 kph in a 30 kph zone. I think the fine was around 15 Euro (about 20 USD)...which wasn't too bad.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic