FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Section 8 & Middletown Housing Authority

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 24 2009 at 10:26am

CURRENT PROPERTY DEMO LIST

215 Baltimore………………………On hold for appeal
403 Baltimore……………………..In process of sending notice
527 Baltimore……………………..On hold for appeal
1903 Casper…………………………Demo date 8-21-2009

1810 Columbia………………………Demo date 8-31-2009
520 Garfield………………………..In process of sending notice
1106 Garfield……………………….On hold for appeal
1120 Garfield……………………….Appealing

607 Malvern…………………………Completed by owner 7-13-2009
1425 Oxford State Rd………...Demo Date 8-31-2009
2115 Sherman………………………..Demo Date 8-14-2009 Bid Awarded
723 Tenth……………………………..Completed 7-14-2009
1317 Woodlawn………………….….Demo Date 8-21-2009
214 Young………………………………Demo Date 7-31-2009
1117 Young……………………………..Demo Date 9-11-2009

viper771 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote viper771 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 25 2009 at 11:55am
These aren't any old historic houses are they ms moon????
Ima B. Lever View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ima B. Lever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 25 2009 at 1:13pm
Thank you Ward 2 candidate John Soppanish for obtaining this "PREVIOUSLY UNAVAILABLE" (??) list of residential properties targeted for HUD-funded demolition by Mr. Adkins and his City staff! ClapClap

Solutionbased View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Solutionbased Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 25 2009 at 2:35pm
Like what I see so far....lets keep em coming! Now that I see I've hit a nerve maybe suggestions will turn into actions and actions into change! Again, keep em coming!
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 25 2009 at 4:55pm
Viper:
It depends upon how you define "historic".
In Middletown, currently--and for the past few decades--"historic" appears to be defined as:
1.  anything for which such designation will bring pecuniary benefits to, or further the personal interests or goals of, a select group of individuals.

For example, a 100 (+-) year old original hospital wing was NOT "historic", but once the entire modern hospital building (of which this wing was a part) was demolished, the entire site and surrounding land became suddenly became "historic".
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 25 2009 at 5:13pm

Viper
Yes many of these houses are more than 100 years old…however they have not been declared historic.
The vault at the
Middletown Cemetery
was built about 1870 and has been declared historic and City wants to tear it down.

viper771 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote viper771 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 25 2009 at 5:51pm
That is terrible :( Is there anyway some of the stuff could be salvaged from the houses before they are gone? If these houses were out in California, they would still be around 300K in BAD condition. I better get a move on and see if I can get my house on the historic register.

I don't get why the city wants to tear down the vault! If they did their part years ago it wouldn't be in the condition it is in now :( Once this old architecture is torn down, it is gone for good. They don't make stuff as good as they did back then. For the same materials, it would cost a fortune even for the smallest house.

Sorry for my rant everyone, I got a little off topic :)
Solutionbased View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Solutionbased Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 25 2009 at 10:26pm
Who are the city officials I would approach with helping with a marketing strategy that could get corporations interested in learning more about the benefits of doing business in Mtown? I'm a marketing strategist and have worked with Enterprise companies, Small to Medium business, politicians, Clevel Execs. etc. I'm more than sure I could help in some way. The key would be to bring more business as you all are aware and the marketing strategy plays as huge role where this is concerned. Which I'm sure you are aware as well.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 26 2009 at 3:26am
The problem is that our city officials do NOT WANT help from mere mortals like you or us, SolutionBased.  Also, they are VERY, VERY picky about what kind of companies and businesses they will ALLOW into our fair city.  First, nothing dirty or messy.  Also nothing that will employ the hoi poloi.

Nothing that will draw anyone who might threaten the local power structure.

They mostly are looking for artsy, fartsy types that will invite them to champaign and caviar parties, and tell them how wonderful they are.

And certainly nothing that will bring in any federal agents!!!
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 26 2009 at 9:27am
Mike I had to look this one up, I take it you mean the original meaning---hoi-poloi: The upper echelon of a particular group or of society. (ED, Garret: It has been pointed out that the original meaning of hoi-poloi is, in fact, the lower echelon of a society. I.e., the common people. The submitted definition seems to be a very common subversion of the original meaning, but that's what pseudodictionary is all about.)
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 26 2009 at 5:47pm
Originally posted by Pacman Pacman wrote:

Mike I had to look this one up, I take it you mean the original meaning---hoi-poloi: The upper echelon of a particular group or of society. (ED, Garret: It has been pointed out that the original meaning of hoi-poloi is, in fact, the lower echelon of a society. I.e., the common people. The submitted definition seems to be a very common subversion of the original meaning, but that's what pseudodictionary is all about.)
Pac:
I did, indeed, mean the ORIGINAL and CORRECT definition:

"hoi pol·loi  (hoi p-loi)
n.
The common people; the masses.

[Greek, the many : hoi, nominative pl. of ho, the; see so- in Indo-European roots + polloi, nominative pl. of polus, many; see pel-1 in Indo-European roots.]
Usage Note: Hoi polloi is a borrowing of the Greek phrase hoi polloi, consisting of hoi, meaning "the" and used before a plural, and polloi, the plural of polus, "many." In Greek hoi polloi had a special sense, "the greater number, the people, the commonalty, the masses." This phrase has generally expressed this meaning in English since its first recorded instance, in an 1837 work by James Fenimore Cooper. Hoi polloi is sometimes incorrectly used to mean "the elite," possibly because it is reminiscent of high and mighty or because it sounds like hoity-toity."
The self-appointed ELITE in this city do NOT want the input or assistance of the rest of us, and unless he/she pays proper homage and hosts a champaign and caviar party or two, I am fairly sure that that Mr./Ms. Solutionbased will find that they do not want his/her assistance or input either.  I doubt that Solutionbased is aware that many of us actually HAVE tried to do exactly what he/she is suggesting, and that we have been snickered at, scoffed at, condescended to, ignored, lectured to, and ultimately told that we "don't understand" and that we should sit down and shut up!!!

All that is left is for us to try to spread the truth on forums such as this, and to try to change things via the ballot box, BUT (there's always a "but", isn't there!) we still need ONE good candidate from each Ward!!! 

Ima B. Lever View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ima B. Lever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 26 2009 at 7:27pm
Mr. Marconi, Mr. Armbruster & Ms. Ford -

As a reader of MiddletownUSA it is safe to say that each of you has received volumes of documentation from a combination of current and past City employees regarding the waste and abuse of HUD funds.  As I read through the many postings, I find it a bit interesting that nobody from City Hall has ever refuted what has been presented with contradictory facts?

As someone who formerly subscribed to the Middletown Journal, I am saddened that to witness the continued silence or sanitized news from the the local print media.  How discouraging that investigative reporters repeatedly turn their backs time after time instead of examining the facts about the many HUD dollars that have been flushed down the drain!

As a concerned Middletonian, I feel badly for the good people of our community who are upset but don't seem to know how to oppose the elitist "wine and cheese crowd."  We have seen the negative impact of the misguided "thinking" (??) of the planners!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic