FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hamilton Automated Speed Ticket Van

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Middletown News View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown News Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hamilton Automated Speed Ticket Van
    Posted: Jul 09 2009 at 10:02am
It was reported on WLW today that Hamilton has a van that they can park anywhere in town. The van contains a camera based speed detection and ticket generating system.

If you go 11 miles over the speed limit, the camera takes a photo of your license plate then mails you a speeding ticket.
Middletown News View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown News Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2009 at 11:55am
I find this a bit too 'bigbrotherish' if that's a word.

If you hate red light cams, you will really hate the Police Van Speed Cam.
409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2009 at 12:05pm
Jonathon....I would say it's "bigbrotherish."
Can you imagine how "RED-FACED" our city leaders are, since they didn't think of this first?
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2009 at 12:34pm
I think it's great !! We have to put a stop to these criminals speeding and running red lights !! It's not about the money,it's about keeping everyone safe. Safety is a primary concern in our communities today. America's roadway's are full of congestion,so monitoring speed and red light's should be everyone's concern. If you witness a speeder or red light runner do your duty as a good American and report them to your nearest law enforcement officer. Let's rid our society of this criminal element. Thank you and remember to vote in November !! Big%20smile
No more democrats no more republicans,vote Constitution Party !!
John Beagle View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2009 at 2:16pm
Ouch Hermes. You are a bit sensitive about this issue. I don't consider myself a criminal when I speed. I rarely do, but sometimes it happens.

Someday we may be monitored from the time we leave our homes to the time we come home. Maybe someday we will be monitored inside our homes too.
John Beagle

Middletown USA

News of, for and by the people of Middletown, Ohio.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2009 at 2:25pm
Hermes not in Hamilton they already copped to the RedLight Cameras being a revenue generating venture for them.LOL

Now in Middletown that would be another story.
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2009 at 5:44pm
Originally posted by John Beagle John Beagle wrote:

Ouch Hermes. You are a bit sensitive about this issue. I don't consider myself a criminal when I speed. I rarely do, but sometimes it happens.

Someday we may be monitored from the time we leave our homes to the time we come home. Maybe someday we will be monitored inside our homes too.
John if you speed or run red lights you are of the criminal element and YOU must be brought to justice !! Please John,for the sake of the citizens and the country,go and turn yourself in to the nearest law enforcement officer. You might get some jail time but you will be a better person for it,plus you will be a true benefit to America's "Prison's For Profit".
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2009 at 5:48pm
Originally posted by Pacman Pacman wrote:

Hermes not in Hamilton they already copped to the RedLight Cameras being a revenue generating venture for them.LOL

Now in Middletown that would be another story.
For goodness sake Pacman don't end up like John,please remain the good law abiding citizen that you are. I couldn't sleep at night knowing that your out there running red lights and speeding. And as a good citizen keep an eye on that John,I can tell by his postings he's a little fishey.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2009 at 6:41pm
Hehehehe no Red Light cameras on my 2 mile journey to work each day, gonna have to start checking out those vans on the side of the road though, you never know, Middletown might need an injection of Funds for a few more HUD housing remodels or demos.LOL
tomahawk35 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomahawk35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2009 at 11:06pm
Hermes, I tryed your solution last summer when I called the police dept. and complained about speeders on my street. They told me that they were too short-handed to have a patrol car to come over and just sit,which I then ask if I could videotape these speeders. I was told unless the police seen them theirselves that they couldn't do anything. This is the exact reason that I am totally confused about the legallity of the red lights, seems to be a double standard here.
lrisner View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lrisner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 11 2009 at 8:54am
Originally posted by tomahawk35 tomahawk35 wrote:

Hermes, I tryed your solution last summer when I called the police dept. and complained about speeders on my street. They told me that they were too short-handed to have a patrol car to come over and just sit,which I then ask if I could videotape these speeders. I was told unless the police seen them theirselves that they couldn't do anything. This is the exact reason that I am totally confused about the legallity of the red lights, seems to be a double standard here.

Your question is really an opportunity to look at the "safety" aspect of the issue.

If someone receives a Redlight Camera Ticket in the mail (or a Speed Van Ticket), if it is not paid all that happens is that it is sent to  Collection Agency. It is not a "real" ticket and the person not paying will not be hauled into Traffic Court or Arrested. If a person values their Credit History, they will pay the Ticket. Thus....the delima. The habitual "Red Light Runner" or "Speeder" is not usually a person (imho, anyway) who really worries about thier Credit Record, and as such,the Automated System would be no deterrant to them. It would however, ensure the City not to miss an opportunity to "fine" the law abiding citizen who is unwittingly caught by the quick Yellow lights or the overly sensitive "right turn on red after stop" mechanism within the Red Light Camera Device.

Safety Issue...NO! Revenue Issue....YES!
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 11 2009 at 9:17am
Hey pacman--no worries your way.
There are few to no red light cameras towards the east end of town. City doesn't want to burden the upper crust, who are far above being cited for safety concerns. Besies, the east-enders are far too important and their "hurry" is justified.

The cameras are down towards the western/southern part of town.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 11 2009 at 9:41am
What are talking about Spider.  Until this year they had walled off the western end of the city from the East with cameras.

Breiel and Manchester
Breiel and Central
Breiel and Roosevelt
Roosevelt and Elliott

About time they gave us a break on this end of town, I was tired of finding alternate routes just so I could run those red lights.  Actually people got used to them and they were not generating enough revenue so they had to move them to more Revenue producing areas.
Lebanonian View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lebanonian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 14 2009 at 6:30pm
Revenue collection in the guise of "police" work is freaking evil. It's crying out for mass civil disobedience. The cops are shaking down nominally law abiding citizens with automated equipment.

My brother told me this story: The city of Heath (near Newark, in Eastern OH) has installed red light cameras at major intersections. It is a BIG story there and citizens are outraged.

Why: the particular issue that many have with it is when you are stuck in the middle of the intersection while turning left against traffic that is not controlled. The light turns yellow, and then red, THEN the traffic stops, and FINALLY you can proceed and clear the intersection. In this instance the red light camera has recorded your vehicle because you were in the middle of the intersection at the instant the light turned red.  It's entirely a black/white, there-is-no-possible-extenuating-circumstances situation.

And those tickets stick, because there is no possible "interpretation". So you can't legally make a safe left turn when traffic is very heavy.

Re:  >> John if you speed or run red lights you are of the criminal element and YOU must be brought to justice !!

What an anal retentive weenie opinion. I despise careless drivers and yet I think this opinion is just totally and absolutely stupid. The law has the concept of "tolerance". When a human is administering the law, that is.

FWIW, speeding tickets are a revenue shakedown because it is much more clear cut to prosecute for speed than for other (much more dangerous) types of careless driving.

The a-hole who blocks traffic in an intersection through an entire traffic light cycle by creeping 12 feet past the stop line in the left lane doesn't get prosecuted but the poor schlub who was recorded transiently doing a few miles over the speed on a downhill does.

I think some laws are oppressive because common citizens are too stupid to demand reasonable enforcement standards.
lrisner View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lrisner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 14 2009 at 7:48pm
Originally posted by Lebanonian Lebanonian wrote:

Revenue collection in the guise of "police" work is freaking evil. It's crying out for mass civil disobedience. The cops are shaking down nominally law abiding citizens with automated equipment.

My brother told me this story: The city of Heath (near Newark, in Eastern OH) has installed red light cameras at major intersections. It is a BIG story there and citizens are outraged.

Why: the particular issue that many have with it is when you are stuck in the middle of the intersection while turning left against traffic that is not controlled. The light turns yellow, and then red, THEN the traffic stops, and FINALLY you can proceed and clear the intersection. In this instance the red light camera has recorded your vehicle because you were in the middle of the intersection at the instant the light turned red.  It's entirely a black/white, there-is-no-possible-extenuating-circumstances situation.

And those tickets stick, because there is no possible "interpretation". So you can't legally make a safe left turn when traffic is very heavy.

Re:  >> John if you speed or run red lights you are of the criminal element and YOU must be brought to justice !!

What an anal retentive weenie opinion. I despise careless drivers and yet I think this opinion is just totally and absolutely stupid. The law has the concept of "tolerance". When a human is administering the law, that is.

FWIW, speeding tickets are a revenue shakedown because it is much more clear cut to prosecute for speed than for other (much more dangerous) types of careless driving.

The a-hole who blocks traffic in an intersection through an entire traffic light cycle by creeping 12 feet past the stop line in the left lane doesn't get prosecuted but the poor schlub who was recorded transiently doing a few miles over the speed on a downhill does.

I think some laws are oppressive because common citizens are too stupid to demand reasonable enforcement standards.

This illustrates why I am opposed in Principal! If the Red Light programing was liberal enough in favor of the Motorist so than only blatant offenders are ticketed, then I would have no problem.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic