FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

growth in poverty

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
transplant View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote transplant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: growth in poverty
    Posted: Nov 23 2009 at 1:58am
http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/dayton-news/census-numbers-paint-bleak-picture-in-xenia-416052.html

portion of the story: Although most cities in the Dayton region have suffered economically, Xenia stands out. It is one of four area cities — along with Trotwood, Dayton and Middletown — that rank in the top 20 in growth of poverty this decade among Ohio cities with greater than 20,000 population, according to new Census data.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 23 2009 at 6:29am
Ahhhh! Something else to be proud of here in the old pueblo. Thanks goes out to Judith G. and past and present council members for this remarkable milestone for our town. Not only are we one of the fastest dying cities according to Forbes, but now, we are in good company with the growth of poverty! Nice going folks! I'm telling you, we need to get rid of the city manager and all who support this Section 8/welfare/attracting the low income theme before the town is totally decimated- if it hasn't been already.
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 23 2009 at 7:17am
Viet
If you think these numbers sounds bad now just wait until the hard numbers are in for the real poverty rate of
Middletown and also the decline in the city’s population.
The City has now set us up the perfect storm.

swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 23 2009 at 10:43am
Originally posted by VietVet VietVet wrote:

I'm telling you, we need to get rid of the city manager and all who support this Section 8/welfare/attracting the low income theme before the town is totally decimated- if it hasn't been already.
I wouldn't rush to blame the city manager.  The growth of Section 8 Housing occured under Bill Becker's tenure as interim city manager and then as permanent city manager.

If you recall, Judy wanted to transfer Section 8 administration to BMHA, and council quickly nixed that idea. Like it or not, she reports directly to council as they hire/fire the city manager.  In changing directions, she only did what council directed her to do.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 23 2009 at 12:08pm
You are correct swohio75. I recall Gilleland wanting to transfer the Section 8 to BMHA, but Council shot that down. Still, it outrages me that the city leaders even entertained thoughts of making this town a welfare/Section 8 attraction. Sounds as if , by your information, that the Becker years of his city manager tenure and the seated council back then, they are the primary culprits here. Again, I re-itterate- ALL who initiated the program and who support this Section 8 fiasco need to go.
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 23 2009 at 1:04pm
I think everyone is missing the bigger picture. The plan for the city is actually brilliant, it's a reversal of any normal plan for prosperity & growth. If you introduce poverty then the money will flow from DC. You get the politicians attention because now they have a cause to support and it gives them a stump at election time to try and save a dying city and community. Then they pour federal dollars into the city to help all the hard working people who will get them elected. Then the city can build bike paths, art shops, paint murals on buildings and all that adds to ambiance of the community. Big%20smile

Absolutely brilliant I say !! LOL
No more democrats no more republicans,vote Constitution Party !!
taxed2death View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taxed2death Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 24 2009 at 4:55pm
Hermes I think you might be onto something lol
I hope it gets better soon!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic