FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

City Buying Property

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: City Buying Property
    Posted: Dec 15 2009 at 11:36am
Taking from Middletown City Council agenda

1. Resolution No. R2009-44, a resolution authorizing a contract with Darlene Dunlap for the purchase of certain real property located at 4406 Roosevelt Boulevard. (2nd Reading)

2. Resolution No. R2009-45, a resolution authorizing a contract with Larry Donald Meadows and Eva Meadows for the purchase of certain real property located at 4408 Roosevelt Boulevard. (2nd Reading)

Call me for a www.CameraSecurityNow.com quote 513-422-1907 x357
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 15 2009 at 11:37am
Can someone explain why we are buying these properties ?
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 15 2009 at 12:07pm
randy- I believe these properties were discussed in a past council meeting. If I remember correctly, these two properties were a collection point for water runoff with the water passing between the houses to a collection basin. With this city caused problem, the property owners were unable to sell their houses. Rather than the city fix the runoff problem by regrading the properties, it was decided that buying the properties and tearing the houses down will be cheaper to do.
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 15 2009 at 12:26pm
I do remember the talk at the meeting just couldn't recall why, so thanks.
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 15 2009 at 1:40pm
So where is the city suddenly getting all this money for police cars & property ?

Did they plant one of those money trees in city hall ? Shocked
No more democrats no more republicans,vote Constitution Party !!
rngrmed View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rngrmed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 15 2009 at 9:37pm
I wish the City would buy my house....
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 16 2009 at 1:20am
Originally posted by rngrmed rngrmed wrote:

I wish the City would buy my house....
Ranger:  Be careful what you wish for!!!

As I recall the council discussion in the past, Mr. Schiavonne suggested that the city "do nothing" as the situation would then deteriorate until the property would be unusable and unsellable.  The city could then buy the property on the cheap, fix the propblem, and re-sell as prime commercial property at a handsome profit.

Just one more example why the government should NOT be in the real estate business!!!  They can set the rules, change the rules, rig the game, ruin the other players, etc, etc, etc, ad nauseum.
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 16 2009 at 1:57am
Originally posted by VietVet VietVet wrote:

randy- I believe these properties were discussed in a past council meeting. If I remember correctly, these two properties were a collection point for water runoff with the water passing between the houses to a collection basin. With this city caused problem, the property owners were unable to sell their houses. Rather than the city fix the runoff problem by regrading the properties, it was decided that buying the properties and tearing the houses down will be cheaper to do.
Vet:
Please allow me to be a little more "TC" (technically correct): The real problem was all of the paving on the OTHER side of Roosevelt Blvd. The area bounded by Grand, Elliot, Roosevelt, and Breiel back to Grand became nearly completely impermeable (built upon or paved over) and the total rainwater runoff was channelled under a new box bridge on Roosevelt with a tail structure channelling it AT AN ANGLE into a swale between these two properties. The design of this bridge and ancillary structurs guaranteed that, during heavy rains, large quantities of storm run-off would come barrelling out from under the bridge at high velocities against the east bank of the swale, and then "slosh" back and forth, with excess over flowing until the volume and velocity allowed it to be contained within the swale.

The proper "fix" would have been to put a "bend" in the run-off at some point, and conain the high volume, high velocity run-off within a structure until it was directed in a manner that no damage would occur from the discharge.  In layman's terms, this means: keep the water inside a pipe until it is aimed straight down the the swale (ditch) between the two properties.
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 16 2009 at 6:26am
Excellent TC explanation Mike! I found your description of the situation just swale!

Don't we have some of them thare college edgeeacated fellers in the city enginerin' department that could have come up with a solushun like that??
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic