Middletown Ohio

Find us on
 Google+ and Facebook

Home | Yearly News Archive | Advertisers | Blog | Contact Us
Thursday, April 25, 2024
FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Alternative City Priorities, Policies & Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Alternative City Priorities, Policies & Projects

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Nelson R. Self View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelson R. Self Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alternative City Priorities, Policies & Projects
    Posted: Feb 10 2010 at 5:22am
TO:  Randy, Mike Presta, Viet Vet, Pacman, Miss Vivian, Spider John, Acclaro, Merrell Wood, Wasteful, Hermes, Etc.

QUESTION:  Do certain senior City staff and some City Council members really care what we think about Middletown's problems?

QUESTION:  Do certain senior City staff and some City Council members really care that we are "left out of the loop" when it comes to decision-making, the expenditure of millions of taxpayers money, etc.?

QUESTION:  Is there transparency and accountability present in our municipal government?

I'm increasingly convinced that the best option to revitalize our city rests solely upon MiddletownUSA participants plus other concerned citizens in crafting "alternative housing & community development priorities, policies & projects."  So much can be achieved by us in challenging the One Donham Plaza crowd in bringing about positive change via such a grass roots effort!

Most, if not all of us who participate on this Blog, already have a good handle on the issues that plague our community.  We're frustrated with the indifference and inability of those senior City staff "leaders" plus some City Council members to sensibly, effectively and economically address what ails Middletown.

It is time for those of us "looking in on One Donham Plaza from the outside" to begin the process of working collectively on "Alternate Priorities, Policies & Projects" that will help Middletown to recover.  Upon completion, this new, fresh thinking should be presented to the general public for action.

In my humble opinion, should the above steps not be taken by us, we'll continue talking about the problems and misguided City efforts to solve them with little or no results.  You never know what may become of an effort to take back our government.  Power rests with the people.  The challenge is up to us!
Nelson Self
lrisner View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lrisner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 10 2010 at 8:26am
Originally posted by Nelson R. Self Nelson R. Self wrote:

TO:  Randy, Mike Presta, Viet Vet, Pacman, Miss Vivian, Spider John, Acclaro, Merrell Wood, Wasteful, Hermes, Paul Nagy, Gary Barge, Etc.

QUESTION:  Do certain senior City staff and some City Council members really care what we think about Middletown's problems?

They think they do but they ignore any dissenting opinion as 'uninformed"

QUESTION:  Do certain senior City staff and some City Council members really care that we are "left out of the loop" when it comes to decision-making, the expenditure of millions of taxpayers money, etc.?

They are so pompous about their "doing the right thing" disillusion that they feel justified in not keeping Citizens informed.

QUESTION:  Is there transparency and accountability present in our municipal government?

No way!

MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelson R. Self Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 10 2010 at 8:33am
lrisner .................... thanks for your input.

I honestly believe that nothing will change in Middletown if we fail to seize the opportunity to intelligently counter our all-knowing "so-called leaders and pseudo visionaries at One Donham Plaza."
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 10 2010 at 8:57am
Nelson - Another good post ! And I agree,but,....the only way I can see city hall changing is if an investigation/audit etc. is conducted by state and or federal officials. I firmly believe that the city is so corrupt that even if the people demanded change we'd never see it. I've talked to and even worked for some local business people who have been in business in town since the 50's and Oh the tales they can tell. While I think it's very noble for anyone to stand out front and fight I also believe that the city does not care what any of us think. Again,it will take more than the citizens to demand answers.
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 10 2010 at 9:02am
Mr. Self, I answer an affirmative "no" on your questions regarding their interest. As for a course of action, I agree something needs to be done quickly. I've said many times, the first no brainer initiative is to put the funds back into the cookie jar for street repair (1988 ordinance change). If the new stars on council can't see that priority, then we all know staus quo is going along as usual.

I think the cameras cause the city more harm than good, because it makes it look desperate, out for a quick buck, a police state. Why isn't MUM and its network downtown, doing some studies and gathering input from citizens on issues and opinions about the city? They have plling capabilities, and would be invaluable to objectively formulate and collect data as to how citizens really feel about Middletown. "re you happy with your elected officuals"? Yes/ No. There's two initiatives.

Section 8 will be taken care of in time, so I view that as beating a dead horse over and over. The city admitted they screwed up. So, the numbers will be driven down in time. Next?

Hosuing---you've covered that well on your forums, you know what said what, when, as do many who have read your material. I assume someone within the proper federal orgaization has been contacted and investigating (whether they care or not....who knows. If Homeland Security can let a terrorist almost bring down a plane with 300 passengers, I doubt HUD really follows up on most projects or abuse.

Define what change can be effected, and then how. I've given my suggestions. I assume petitions could be taken out on funding the golf course. I seriously doubt the majority of residents think the $250,000 wasted in overruns takes precedent over using those funds elsewhere, when Wildwood is begging for new members.

The best and most effective action to be taken will be to reverse the tax back to 1.5%, as it was unwarranted and used in a manner that hasn't impacted public safety.     
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 10 2010 at 9:12am

I think some do, but they are out numbered and over whelmed

No,they do not Nelson, not at all

If by transparency you mean can we see through their BS then sure. But no one is held accountable you are right about that.  

I'm increasingly convinced that the best option to revitalize our city rests solely upon MiddletownUSA participants plus other concerned citizens in crafting "alternative housing & community development priorities, policies & projects."  So much can be achieved by us in challenging the One Donham Plaza crowd in bringing about positive change via such a grass roots effort!

Most, if not all of us who participate on this Blog, already have a good handle on the issues that plague our community.  We're frustrated with the indifference and inability of those senior City staff "leaders" plus some City Council members to sensibly, effectively and economically address what ails Middletown.

It is time for those of us "looking in on One Donham Plaza from the outside" to begin the process of working collectively on "Alternate Priorities, Policies & Projects" that will help Middletown to recover.  Upon completion, this new, fresh thinking should be presented to the general public for action.

In my humble opinion, should the above steps not be taken by us, we'll continue talking about the problems and misguided City efforts to solve them with little or no results.  You never know what may become of an effort to take back our government.  Power rests with the people.  The challenge is up to us!
[/QUOTE]

You said it right there, The change is up to us!!!!!

Call me for a www.CameraSecurityNow.com quote 513-422-1907 x357
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelson R. Self Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 10 2010 at 9:14am
Much information was sent to the HUD Columbus Field Office.  They failed to respond because of their "poor record" in keeping track of what was going on in Middletown during a good part of the last decade.  As a case in point, I received only four or five calls from HUD during my employment with the City.  There was little if any HUD oversight.

Similarly, much information was also shared with the HUD Inspector General's Office in Washington, D.C.  No real response there as well.

City staff know that HUD is pretty much "asleep at the wheel" and now have no concerns that I can do anything legally to expose the waste and mismanagement other than to provide posts on MiddletownUSA.  That's interesting because HUD funds come from us taxpayers?
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelson R. Self Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 10 2010 at 9:19am
Thanks for your input Randy, Acclaro and Hermes.  It's concerned citizens like you who can reform local government in Middletown.  I have faith in all three of you.  You can (and are) helping to bring back open, honest and effective governance here.  ClapClapClap
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic