FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

June 1 meeting

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: June 1 meeting
    Posted: Jun 02 2010 at 1:15am
After watching the last meeting, and this one tonight (6/01/2010), I feel that I owe my deepest apologies to the people of Middletown, and especially the citizens of the First Ward.

I should have set aside my personal physical problems, and even though I do NOT want to be on city council, I should have offered my services for the next three and one-half years.

I beg your forgiveness for what I fear will now take transpire these next few years.
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
TANGO View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TANGO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 02 2010 at 1:59am

Yes  this pick is one that will not be the best for the city but with little to choose from thats why middletown is in the condition its in.

MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 02 2010 at 2:19am

Why do I think City Council choice was a poor one? Now, I don’t know Mr. Allen…I’ve never met the gentleman. But please recall a few of Mr. Allen’s answers/comments:

Mr. Allen: “Beautification of the area and making people happy” is a higher priority than police and fire.

WHAT??? I am sorry, sir, but public safety and infrastructure are the two VERY FIRST priorities of municipal government, and absolutely far and above either “beautification” or “making people happy”!!! The People’s right to pursue happiness is often severely impeded by the government’s confiscation of the People’s money to pursue what only a few see as beautiful!!!

Mr. Allen: “Make sure that non-profits and foundations are driving the community”?

Sorry, Mr. Allen (and City Council), but it should be exactly the other way around!!! The non-profits and foundations should be driven by those members of the community that support them financially. Unfortunately, in many cases here in Middletown, they are not.  Certain groups here in town just see them as another source of funds to finance the wants of a very few.

Mr. Allen spoke of “developing an increasing passion for being on council SINCE IT WAS FIRST PRESENTED TO ME.”!!!

Hmmm…so, no one was “recruited”, eh???

For those three answers alone, it appears obvious to me that Mr. Allen was a poor choice for any council seat, especially the First Ward seat. (The First Ward includes some of the very poorest areas of our city. Does Mr. Allen, or even the other six council members even realize this???)

A few other items worthy of note:

Mr. Picard: Land downtown vs. land on east end: not apples to apples; same amount of land is not equal to the same amount of money. One may be worth 200 jobs while the other may not. Land downtown cannot be given away, while land near I-75 is still valuable (or at least it would be, if Kohler would stop trying to force his personal preferences on that land)! In his reply, Mr. Allen failed to address ROI (Return on Investment) and how long the “payback” would take.

Good follow-up by A.J. to Mr. Allen re: priorities of city government.

“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
Dead man walkin' View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dead man walkin' Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 02 2010 at 6:17am

Presta, You are right about some things:

From the 'Mystery Money' thread:

You don’t speak for me. No one does. I can speak for myself for the time being, thank you very much.

Yes, my main point was the shuffling of funds, and ultimatley hiding the money for the next doggie park or raise package or whatever.

And yes, you should’ve throen your hat into the ring for council. Your brutal honesty and impartiality during that first night of questions plus your grasp of the issues would’ve made them look silly, or worse yet, crooked, going any farther or selecting anyone else. Besides, you represent ideal x-section of Ward One and entire city. Now this is your fault.

Not really your fault I guess, but you are easiest to blame. Besides, you didn’t do your usual review of workbook this week. U let people down on that, so U deserve blame for something. People count on you for that.

On another note, that Scot-Jones woman sure is thin-skinned. She should get over that. No one accused her of nothing. It is obvious there is some dissention and more than one camp on council. So what? Vote your conscious honey, and stop apologizing. Besides, if everyone really voted their minds, why was the roll call vote 6 zip? Took an awful long time for an unanimous vote. I’ll bet it wasn’t 6-0 in the back room. Stand on principles and vote the same in public as in private.

There’s no law that says everything has to be unanimous, unless it’s some law of being a hypocrite. That Allen guy knew how the real voting went down before everyone got home. Does she really think there isn’t collusion going on? Gimme a break. Who’s trying to fool who? He was the “selected boy” from the start, but let me guess-he could only get 3 votes last meeting. So who caved?

"Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil" (Psalm 23)
Dead man walkin' View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dead man walkin' Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 02 2010 at 6:20am
Besides, didn't you just win a contested race in Ward One the week before the last meeting?  None of the other three could claim that.
"Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil" (Psalm 23)
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 02 2010 at 11:12pm
I am not sure whether to thank you, or to curse you, sir.

You blame me???

Perhaps I should stop and think a bit before I comment further...but comment further I shall!!!
High Speed Rail?? View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High Speed Rail?? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 03 2010 at 6:56am
We would be so much better off if we had more concerned citizens like Mike Presta, Nick Kidd, Gary Barge, Paul Nagy, Vivian Moon, Viet Vet, Pacman, Hermes, Spider John, Randy Lewis, etc.
wannaknow View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wannaknow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 03 2010 at 8:32am
From what I read of the esteemed Mr. Presta's post it appears that they got another " yes man"  in office. Takes care of that 3 to 3 split and should speed things along. What happened to Gary Barge? I live in and have my business in Ward 1, fondly referred to as "the ghetto", so of course I was hoping there would be some change with a new council member.  Mr. Barge seemed genuinely concerned for the people in this ward and had a grasp on what was needed. I hope Mr. Allen will venture this way and see that this ward is the worst neglected area in Middletown. Why are there no notices to mow the high grass and clean up the property in this ward? The city is concentrating on a park for dogs while the park FOR KIDS by my house is pathetic. I am hopeful he will be different and care a little bit.
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 03 2010 at 9:34am
I am still in shock over this choice. I just dont see how this was the best candidate. I am so sick of Middletown, and the way its leaders deal with us. I have had enough.
Call me for a www.CameraSecurityNow.com quote 513-422-1907 x357
High Speed Rail?? View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High Speed Rail?? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 03 2010 at 10:14am
Randy, you have done so much good on our behalf.  Your efforts are appreciated.  Hang in there.  We need you.
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 03 2010 at 10:43am
Well lets see.....you have sitting council members "selecting" a replacement member.....so what did everyone expect ? That these sitting members would pick someone who would be for "the citizens & be an outstanding representative"? Sorry folks but none of you are that naive.

When Clyde picked Bonnie he wasn't looking for an "out-standing & honest" girlfriend and cohort. Same with council. I haven't a clue who this Tom Allen is or why he stepped to the plate, was he a "chosen one" and prep'd by council ? Hhhhmmmm..........

I think it's time council lost some of it's powers. How did we ever get to the point that council could pick and choose whom ever they want versus who the people want ? I think this is a dirty piece of legislation or law that needs to be struck down.

Mike - Yeah you could have thrown your hat,shirt and pants into the foray but I'm betting council would have never even given you a thought. Same with the rest of us, they are picking who they want not who we want.
No more democrats no more republicans,vote Constitution Party !!
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 03 2010 at 10:48am
Originally posted by wannaknow wannaknow wrote:

From what I read of the esteemed Mr. Presta's post it appears that they got another " yes man"  in office. Takes care of that 3 to 3 split and should speed things along. What happened to Gary Barge? I live in and have my business in Ward 1, fondly referred to as "the ghetto", so of course I was hoping there would be some change with a new council member.  Mr. Barge seemed genuinely concerned for the people in this ward and had a grasp on what was needed. I hope Mr. Allen will venture this way and see that this ward is the worst neglected area in Middletown. Why are there no notices to mow the high grass and clean up the property in this ward? The city is concentrating on a park for dogs while the park FOR KIDS by my house is pathetic. I am hopeful he will be different and care a little bit.

Just curious but are you that naive ? Tom Allen has been hand picked from the tree, he will do what they want him to do. Bottom line.
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 03 2010 at 11:03am
Originally posted by randy randy wrote:

I am still in shock over this choice. I just dont see how this was the best candidate. I am so sick of Middletown, and the way its leaders deal with us. I have had enough.

Randy why are you shocked ? If anyone would have known that council would pick "their" man it would be you. Your more on top of it than I'll ever be and I wasn't shocked I expected it. I understand your anger cause I'm angered as well as everyone should be, but if we don't get some legislation and or law (and I'm not sure which this falls under) changed this crap is going to continue every time a seat becomes vacant.

IMO a special election should have been held when it was discovered that Armbruster could no longer hold his seat due to his health. I firmly believe that his health was mis-represented in order to prolong the preparation of his replacement. I don't believe for a second that Armbruster passed away so unexpectedly. (with all due respect to his family)
Without a doubt council has known all along who they would be picking because I can't believe they would have waited and made a choice in just 2-3 weeks or whatever.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 03 2010 at 1:22pm
Hermes says.........Mike - Yeah you could have thrown your hat,shirt and pants into the foray but I'm betting council would have never even given you a thought. Same with the rest of us, they are picking who they want not who we want.

Hey Hermes! I'm a tad bit frustrated by this info. Here, all along, I thought I had impressed them and they liked me. I know I've always been fond of them. Are you saying that NONE of us had a shot at winning their favor for this position? Are you suggesting this was a done deal, no matter what we did to impress them? Are you suggesting that this Tom Allen fellow is but a mere puppet for them to sway the balance of power in favor of Mulligan's Raiders?

I don't know bud.......that sounds awfully "distrusting" to me.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 09 2010 at 10:49am

I said that I would “comment further” on this, and here it is:

I’ve pondered this situation a lot, and tried to look at it from every viewpoint that I can imagine. I have been of two minds on my response from the start, and continue to be of two minds on the matter.

Can I put myself in Mr. Walkin’s situation? I’m not sure, but I certainly believe that I can. On the other hand, how sure can he be that he can put himself into mine, when sometimes I, myself, am unsure of my own situation? For those reasons, I have decided not to “engage” him in an adversarial manner, but I will try to address the points that he has raised. I will try my best to do this without being confrontational. This is not because I fear confrontation--I think that those of you who have come to know me realize that I do not--but because not only do I really believe that I can understand his position, but also I believe that there is nothing to be gained from he and I engaging in some sort of open warfare when we both appear to have the same goals in mind and be like-minded in much of our thinking.

Am I “to blame” if or when I do not study the semi-monthly city council workbook for errors, omissions, or possible attempts to “slip one (or more) over” on the public? I think not! I do admit that I try my best to do this, and I realize that there may even be some individuals who have come to depend it. However, it is the responsibility of every good citizen to stay to as fully informed of civic affairs as possible. I even realize that I have more time for such things than most, but there are still occasions when I do have priorities that prevent me from doing so, just as others do. My attempts to be of help do NOT, at least in my view, make it my job. There are times when I just cannot perform this review in the timeframe allowed, especially on occasions such as the Friday before Memorial day, when the workbook was NOT put on-line as soon as is the norm. I know it was not--I checked for it several times that Friday, since I knew I had some other plans and I also was (and still am) having cable problems. I can't really say when the workbook hit the city's website, but I am fairly certain that it was AFTER Friday.

As far as my not having applied for the vacant First Ward council seat, well, we can play “should’ve, could’ve, would’ve…” all year:

It should’ve only been for seven months instead of a year and seven months…

If we could’ve had a “real” legal opinion or two…

If they would’ve let us know sooner that Gary Barge had withdrawn…

Well, it isn’t, and we couldn’t, and they didn’t…and it’s too late now unless we sue the b*st*rds, but who has the money to do that? (Especially when they’d probably just use our money to pay the new councilman’s law firm to represent the City and drive us even farther towards bankruptcy!) Besides, I’ve already admitted I made a mistake, so somebody shoot me, if it will make you feel better. (But then I will NEVER be able to go over the workbook!!!)

Side note: I won’t be going over the workbook THIS weekend, either!! (I’m not “pouting” or anything silly like that. I just have some other things that I must do. If/when I get them finished, I’ll go over the workbook--at least I’ll try, but no promises!!!

[For ease in typing, I have intended the masculine to include both genders throughout the above discourse. Suffice it to say that I mean no disrespect to any of the ladies (or to females who may not be ladies) who may read it. I do NOT claim an advanced degree in journalism, or in English composition, nor any special expertise in spelling or in political correctness.]

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic