FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Section 8 Housing Report

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Section 8 Housing Report
    Posted: Jul 10 2010 at 9:22am

I must say that this is a well written 96 page report on our Section 8 Housing Program. From page 26….

Vouchers Awarded to MPHA 1999-2005; Total new vouchers awarded to MPHA: 888
Date               Number of Vouchers Awarded               Target Population
12-01-1999     75 mainstream vouchers                         Non-elderly disable
5-01-2000        50 family unification vouchers              Families where a lack of housing is

a factor for seperation with                                                                                        separation with children    
9-01-2000        55 fair share vouchers                            None-regular vouchers
11-01-2000      200 non-elderly vouchers                       Non-elderly disabled
10-01-2001      200 non-elderly vouchers                       Non-elderly disabled
1-01-2003        200 non-elderly vouchers                       Non-elderly disabled
10-1-2005        108 tenant protection vouchers             Families residing in                                                                                     Chatham Village -
                                                                                           multifamily conversion action

Middletown is currently one of the 300 largest Section 8 Public Housing Agencies in the country. The
Middletown Section 8 budget is $12,055,723.

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2010 at 11:14am
I'll go on record to say how prideful I am about how my hometown has turned out. Any of you long time residents of old Middletown share my pride in this distinction on one of the 300 largest Section 8 programs? $12 mil could go a long way in another capacity to help this town in the right way, couldn't it? Sad epitaph for a once proud town. Again, THANKS CITY LEADERS   
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2010 at 3:09pm
Now that is some staggering numbers ! One of 300 largest !?! More than $12 million ?!!

What in the world are these idiots thinking ?? Or are they thinking ?

I still say section 8 is being used to the advantage of person's/personal gain in this town because there is no logical reason for these numbers. None what so ever ! When we find out who is profiting besides absentee landlords then maybe we can plug the hole and stop the contamination.
No more democrats no more republicans,vote Constitution Party !!
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2010 at 4:32pm
Everyone should read this document to under the issues that Middletown is dealing with as far as Section 8 is concerned:

MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2010 at 4:53pm
Hermes
Keep your eye on the ball because the feeding of City Hall is about to increase again. 
1. Before this year is over The Inspection Group will be fired and ALL inspections of Section 8 housing will be done by the City. This will bring back Skip Batten and a few other employees into this department.
2. Next year they will fire CONSOC and bring the entire program in house and that will let them bring back more of their old friends into this department and Mr. Adkins will get another big raise. 
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2010 at 6:02pm

Pacman
And now for the rest of this story.
As I have stated many times on this blog I do not believe HUD will allow them to reduce the number of Section 8 Vouchers here in
Middletown
So the plan to let these voucher holders move to surrounding counties will not work because they don’t want them in their backyard or they would have signed up years ago for this HUD program. I believe that City may be hearing from the NAACP concerning this plan of action.
Now the only way that the City can take the heat off them is to make the Section 8 Landlords the whipping boys of this program and that is what they are going to do and have clearly stated at the bottom of page 82 of the Section 8 Report. The City is going to require more stringent inspection rules than are required by HUD and therefore many of the current Section 8 Rentals will fail the inspections and fall from the program…but what happens to the family that was living in this home? Where will they move to?
Business Friendly, I think not. City Hall has talked a great deal about being Business Friendly and yet they are using an inspection law to close down these landlords. This is like changing the rules of the game after it has already started. Whether you agree or not with the Section 8 program these landlords purchased empty houses here in
Middletown
and invested their hard earned money to bring them up to code and then rented them to Section 8 Voucher holders. Rental property is their BUSINESS.

Ahh yes City Hall, this is a fine mess that you have gotten us into.

Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2010 at 7:07pm
Vivian I see no issue with the steps outlined on Page 82:

"While the City does not employ a rental registration ordinance to regulate rental units, having a City Building Inspector perform initial inspections is advantageous in three ways. First, the timing, paperwork and other problems being experienced with initial inspections would be alleviated by direct scheduling between Consoc and the City on these inspections. Second, the inspector is a certified lead based paint risk assessor by the State of Ohio and this serves as a quality control check that proper lead based paint inspections are being performed and paperwork is being turned in with the Request for Tenancy Approval for new units. Finally, the inspector is also trained on inspecting to the standards in the International Property Maintenance Code, the local property code. Under 24 CFR § 982.306(c)(6), the PHA may deny approval of an assisted tenancy when the owner has a history or practice of renting units that fail to meet State or local housing codes. Utilizing the City’s code enforcement software, the inspector can run a report of prior violations by any owner or address to determine if such a history or practice exists. Where appropriate, documentation and reporting would be submitted to the program administrator for potential denial of the owner based on past practices.

Likely Result of Implementation

This proposed change provides a check and balance on lead based paint law compliance. In addition, all units that pass HQS but fail the International Property Maintenance Code will be cited with the appropriate violation. All Section 8 properties within the City should be brought up to IPMC compliance as they are brought onto the program.

Understand, HQS and IPMC compliance are two different processes. In theory, the unit could pass HQS and be approved for Section 8 tenancy while the IPMC violation is being worked by City code enforcement staff. If the IPMC violation is not corrected, the owner will be cited into court and convictions over time demonstrate a history or practice of renting units that fail to meet local housing codes. This will place an additional load of about 20 inspections per month on City staff."

The city is simply enforcing current laws and regulations that are on the books already.  If a property fails an inspection fix the issue if you want to continue in the program.  Vivian the rules are always change.  You think HUD never changes a rule come on. 

I also see no issue with the city employees doing the Initial inspection and TIG doing the renewals and complaint inspection.  As far as what happens down the road we will have to wait and see.  If the number of vouchers declines as is basically the idea, it will probably become likely that CONSOC and TIG will find that the program is no longer financially feasible for them and the city may very well take over the Administration of the program.

As far as other cities not wanting  "them in their backyard" If a landlord wants to rent to a Section 8 voucher holder and meets all of the requirements there is not much the city can say.

The NAACP, They would be better off dealing with the other issues which affect the Second and Parts of the First Ward, Than making a spectacle out of a city trying to revive itself.  Less than 40% of the voucher holders are black, no one who currently has a voucher will lose that voucher, no one is going to be thrown out of a home that is properly maintained, where is the beef.  Maybe it is time that we as concerned citizens organize as a Group for the betterment of Middletown as a whole and not just for the few.

Business Friendly is your other concern, what about the 100's of other businesses in town?  What about the many businesses who will never come to Middletown because of the high poverty rate and the stigma of having excessive Section 8?  I have invested well over $500,000.00 in this city in the last 5 years what about my business friendly rights and those of other businesses in town.  Much of the rental income leaves Middletown and is not spent here.  Vivian stop thinking of just now and look ahead, look down the road 5 years. 

I have two issues with the Cities plan:

1)  What is the time line to see a reduction in vouchers in the city?
2)  Lets start getting rid of these old dilapidated homes thats are inhabitable.  We don't need anymore being put on rental roles.  Anyone got some backhoes and dump trucks laying around they want to volunteer for a little demo.Big%20smile

MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2010 at 9:41pm
Business Friendly is your other concern, what about the 100's of other businesses in town?  What about the many businesses who will never come to Middletown because of the high poverty rate and the stigma of having excessive Section 8? 
I have never said that 1662 Section 8 Vouchers was a good thing for the City of Middletown.
It was City Hall "being asleep at the wheel" that has caused this entire mess.
This is the same inspection law that they can use to shut down your business.
Much of the rental income leaves Middletown and is not spent here. 
Most of the payroll of City Hall isn't spent here either
Vivian stop thinking of just now and look ahead, look down the road 5 years. 
Pacman, If we don't change the thinking of City Hall soon you and a lot of other business people will not have a business to worry about in five years.
What is going to happen when all these bank foreclosed homes and businesses hit the open market?  What will your property be worth then?

I have two issues with the Cities plan:
1)  What is the time line to see a reduction in vouchers in the city?
I do not believe that HUD will allow the City to reduce the vouchers
2)  Lets start getting rid of these old dilapidated homes thats are inhabitable.  We don't need anymore being put on rental roles.  Anyone got some backhoes and dump trucks laying around they want to volunteer for a little demo.Big%20smile
The City should have taken care of this problem for years. Many of these old houses have been sitting empty for years. Why don't you ask City Hall why they are still standing?

Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 11 2010 at 9:02am
Vivian I don't think you understand the plan that Mr. Adkins has laid out.  If you haven't seen the meeting at the end of June concerning this matter you should watch it.

No the city is not going to shut me down I just had a remodel done and have no lead based paint etc,, have no children living in my place of Business,

The fact that so many City Hall employees live out of town is disheartening but immaterial to this issue.

Yes It is the leadership that has gotten us into this mess, old news that has been discussed many times.

Personally I think Mr. Adkins is showing us some great out of the box thinking for this issue and I applaud what he has come up with.

If I understand Mr. Adkins plan it is not about HUD reducing the vouchers Middletown has NOW, it is about Middletown inducing the voucher holders to seek housing outside of the city.  MUCH LIKE THE CITY OF PARMA HAS DONE AND I BELIEVE THOUGH THEY HAVE 700-800 VOUCHERS ISSUED TO THEM THEY ONLY HAVE ABOUT 50-60 VOUCHER HOLDERS LIVING IN THE CITY OF PARMA.Clap

We all know the city should have taken care of this problem for years.  They should have done a lot of things but they didn't.  So maybe now if enough citizens start pushing for the city to do what needs to be done something will be accomplished.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 11 2010 at 9:36am
Pacman
I think you need to read the International Property Maintenance Code that does apply to your business.

Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 11 2010 at 12:13pm
Vivian I have looked at it.   You don't know where my business is located and who is responsible for what maintenance or upkeep wise.   I am confident I have no issues and if I were to have one I would simply cure the issue and move on.  I never said that the IPMC didn't apply to my business, but you want to imply that landlords of Section 8 rentals should be exempt from the Laws & Regs. simply so the City can be "Business Friendly" for them only.

I guess the next time the Fire Dept. comes around and finds one of my exit signs batteries is not working and they give me a notice to get it fixed, I should yell, "Business Friendly, Business Friendly".  I am sure that will work.

You know when/if someone ever actually gets hurt in one of these rentals you will be the first to hang every city official in Donham Square at High Noon. 
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 13 2010 at 3:58pm

Pacman
I have now read the Section 8 Report twice.

This is a well written report however....
Why didn’t City Hall do an impact study before they made Middletown
into the Section 8 Capital of Ohio?
In my opinion everyone that was involved in this mess should be fired today.
It is evident that City Hall didn’t tell City Council Members the truth about what was going on with this program or they were in on the plan also.
Year after year City Hall didn’t try to correct the problems of the Section 8 Program.
This is a very sad and upsetting report to read.
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 14 2010 at 7:49am
agree with pretty much of what was opined by Ms.Moon.
I congratulate Mr.A for his research and effort on this project, and commend him on having the balls to make his serious, community-changing recommendations.

Ship 25% of the Section 8 to east of I-75, and more business variances west ofr Breiel.

Sign ordinance violations are coming out in droves, though little to none going to violators in the Cin.-Dayton Rd.area and east. Instead those violators are requesting emergency signage variances only for their area(while avoiding similar citation letters). Gow will ED,planning,planning comm. and Council resolve these concerns and actions fairly and constructively?
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 15 2010 at 9:26am
Originally posted by Vivian Moon Vivian Moon wrote:

Pacman
I have now read the Section 8 Report twice.

This is a well written report however....
Why didn’t City Hall do an impact study before they made Middletown
into the Section 8 Capital of Ohio?
In my opinion everyone that was involved in this mess should be fired today.
It is evident that City Hall didn’t tell City Council Members the truth about what was going on with this program or they were in on the plan also.
Year after year City Hall didn’t try to correct the problems of the Section 8 Program.
This is a very sad and upsetting report to read.

Ms. Vivian, I agree with you 100%.  Although I am not buying that past Councils weren't aware of the Section 8 issue.  I also don't think that the Section 8 issue would have come to a head if we on this board had not started talking about it almost 2.5- 3 years ago.  There are a lot of people that are now aware of this issue from this board, yet refrain from ever posting.  The fact that you can contribute to a cities downfall in such a manner and still retain your job I find amazing.

No city admin.  where I have ever lived and that is about 20 different cities would ever take this approach to stabilizing there housing issues.  It is just not a practical or sensible action from any standpoint especially economically.  Yet they have gotten away with it, buy saying ooopppppppps.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 29 2010 at 9:24am
Below is HUD's response to the 96 page City of Middletown's Section 8 Analysis.

Attachment

Set forth below are direct quotes from the report along with HUD's clarification and/or correction:

SECTION 8 ANALYSIS REPORT: HUD's first point regarding reduction of vouchers was that they would not seriously consider a reduction of voucher levels while the City maintains a local preference for Middletown residents. Said another way, it 's hard to argue that you want less vouchers when you specifically target giving new vouchers to people living in the City. HUD stated that the local preference for Middletown residents must be removed before any further discussion about reduction of vouchers would occur.

When we discussed the possibility of partial voucher transfers, HUD referred us to HUD Notice PIH 2007-06 (HA), issued on March 7, 2007. Although this Notice lists a 2009 expiration date, HUD still operates under this Notice. In Paragraph 3: Eligibility, the Notice states that "All transfers of vouchers must be total permanent divestitures of one PHA's HCV program to one or more receiving PHA's. The Department will not approve voluntary partial transfers unless there is a substantiated compelling reason. (Emphasis added) The transfer must be between PHA's within the same metropolitan area, within the same non-metropolitan county, or within the same state where HCV program administration is voluntarily shifted from a city or county PHA to its state PHA or from a state PHA to one or more of its county or city PHA 's."

HUD's reliance upon a "substantiated compelling reason " started the staff process that lead to the creation of this report. If a substantiated compelling reason is required to transfer vouchers and HUD won't permit partial transfers while the City remains high in poverty, what else could be used as a compelling reason to gain HUD approval?

HUD RESPONSE: At no time did HUD officials make statements concerning reduction of vouchers relative to the City's local preference for Middletown residents. HUD's discussion with city staff centered upon deconcentrating poverty by expanding MPHA's jurisdictional boundaries from its current city limits (if legally pennissible) to include all of Butler County, reconsidering local preferences, consideration of higher payment standards in non-impacted areas in Butler County and reviewing the rent reasonableness system to ensure rental rates are accurately measured. It was suggested that this be reviewed in consultation with the Butler Metropolitan Housing Authority ("BMHA"). MPHA currently administers the program in the City of Middletown and families are ported to BMHA should the families choose to move outside of the city but within Butler County. An expansion of MPHA's boundaries would end the current portability arrangement and result in BMHA and MPHA co-existing within the county. This arrangement exists with Panna MHA and Cuyahoga MHA and fonnerly existed with Hamilton and Cincinnati MHA.

HUD Notice 2007-6, "Process for Public Housing Agency Voluntary Transfers of Housing Choice Vouchers, Project-Based Vouchers and Project-Based Certificates" issued March 7, 2007 does spell out the process for the pennanent transfer of a Housing Choice Voucher Program to another PHA. As noted in the report the transfer must be between PHA's within the same 7 metropolitan area, within the same non-metropolitan county, or within the same state where HCV program administration is voluntarily shifted. The Notice goes on to state that "The Department will not approve voluntary partial transfers unless there is a substantiated compelling reason". The Notice does not define substantiated compelling reason but in its limited use thus far, it has not been the intent to reduce the number of vouchers that serve a community's needy households.

Middletown should not act in anticipation that such a transfer request would be granted when the sole purpose is to reduce housing assistance to those in need in Middletown. Currently MPHA has around 1,500 families being served by the program as well as a lengthy waiting list. A partial or total transfer of the program to another PHA would not necessarily result in a reduction in the families served by the program but rather a change in administration of the program to another PHA.

SECTION 8 ANALYSIS REPORT: HUD's next point was that if we operated our program similar to the Parma program, we would keep all vouchers active, provide service to over 1600 low income families, be compliant with HUD program requirements, retain administrative income from the vouchers, execute the Master Plan objectives, and still achieve the reduction of vouchers within the City that we seek. Parma has 57 active vouchers within the City limits for 80,000 residents. HUD stated that until we utilize the regulations to reduce vouchers being used within the City, they would not seriously consider a reduction in voucher levels. Said another way, HUD stated that we must "help ourselves with all of the regulatory tools available, and then if you still have problems, come talk to us again. "

HUD RESPONSE: HUD's discussion about Parma operating within a larger jurisdiction with the ability of its participants to lease throughout the County was not in the context of HUD agreeing that Middletown should seek to reduce voucher holders, but rather that poverty deconcentration might be furthered by broadening jurisdiction and choice. In addition, statements in the report seem to indicate that Parma is typical of city programs and is one of the only other city programs in the nation. Parma is not typical -it was created by a federal desegregation court order. Many hundreds of municipal housing agencies are in operation across the nation. Michigan, for example, is one state with predominantly municipal housing agencies, and most vouchers are used within the City's boundaries.

SECTION 8 ANALYSIS REPORT: Staff recommends reducing the payment standard to 90% of FMR within the City of Middletown and setting the payment standard at 100% outside of the City ofMiddletown.

HUD RESPONSE: MPHA's payment standards are currently set at 100% of the FMR. In accordance with 24 CFR 982.505 9(c) (3) when the payment standard amount is decreased during the term of the HAP contract, the lower payment standard amount generally must be used to calculate the monthly housing assistance payment for the family beginning at the effective date of the family's second regular reexamination following the effective date of the decrease in the payment standard amount. Movers and new admissions within the city would be effected 8 immediately; however, payment standard amounts for families under HAP contracts cannot be reduced until the second reexamination.

HUD does monitor rent burdens of families assisted by the program and can require a PHA to increase payment standard amounts within the basic range when 40% or more of families occupying a particular unit size pay more than 30% of monthly adjusted income as the family share. It may well be that one payment standard within Middletown is not appropriate particularly if it is reduced. A geographic payment standard for different parts of Middletown can be set to tailor it to the market areas of the City. But if the City is lowering the payment standard for the sole purpose of eliminating the ability of units to be leased in Middletown, as seems to be the case, this would be directly counter to the program's intent and HUD this will closely monitor rent burden and success rates and will direct the City to increase the payment standard if appropriate.

In addition, if use of vouchers outside Middletown is done through portability, then Middletown's payment standard is not used; the receiving PHA's payment standards are used. For example, if a Middletown participant ports to Warren County, Warren MHA's payment standard is used. If Middletown continues to administer its program only in the City and a Middletown participant ports to an area within Butler County then BMHA's payment standard is used. Middletown cannot set a payment standard for an area outside of which it does not execute HAP contracts. If Middletown chose to operate throughout Butler County, then it could set a payment standard for that area.

SECTION 8 ANALYSIS REPORT: Under the MPHA Current Administrative Plan, Section XVI/(d): The dwelling unit shall be in compliance with HUD lead based paint regulations, 24 CFR, Part 35, issued pursuant to the Lead Based Paint Poisoning Prevention Act, 42 USC 28001, and owner shall provide a certification that the dwelling is in accordance with such HUD regulations. Recommended Changes:

The current plan language does little to document compliance with HUD regulations and/or Ohio lead based paint law. From a compliance standpoint and a policy standpoint, MPHA should expand the requirements for lead based paint compliance. As discussed above, this issue impacts almost 19000 housing units in Middletown, occupied primarily by low income families. We document compliance with all of our other HUD programs, and we need do so here as well. MPHA will require that a lead based paint risk assessment be completed for any housing units constructed prior to 1978 before HQS inspections are scheduled. Iflead based paint is discovered on assessment, the owner must abate each lead based paint suiface before commencement of assistance. If the unit is already occupied, the abatement must be completed within 30 days of notification to the owner. If the owner does not complete the abatement, the unit is in violation of HQS standards until the reduction is complete and no HAP payments will be made until the abatement is complete and a passing lead based paint clearance is submitted to the PHA.

HUD RESPONSE: The Housing Choice Voucher Program is subject to the following subparts of 24 CPR Part 35: Subpart A, Disclosure; Subpart B, General Lead-Based Paint Requirements 9 and Definitions for All Programs; Subpart M, Tenant-Based Rental Assistance; and Subpart R, Methods and Standards for Performing Lead Hazard Evaluation and Reduction Activities. Lead based paint performance requirements are included as part of the Housing Quality Standards ("HQS") inspections and must be met before a unit can be assisted or continue to be assisted where the unit and family are subjected to these requirements.

MPHA is proposing to require a risk assessment for any housing unit constructed prior to 1978 before the HQS inspection. If lead based paint is discovered on assessment, the owner must abate each lead based paint surface before commencement of assistance.

The changes to the HQS inspection process and HUD lead based paint requirements that MPHA is proposing to implement far exceed the requirements required by the regulations. HUD regulations exempt certain units from lead based paint requirements. Exempt units include units where a child under the age of six does not reside or is not expected to reside as well as efficiency units and Single Room Occupancy ("SRO") units. In addition, in the HCY program, risk assessments are only required where a child has been identified as having an environmental intervention blood lead level. To implement the changes that MPHA is proposing to require as part of HQS inspections would involve a variation to the HQS acceptability criteria and require HUD approval as provided in 24 CFR 982.401 (a) (4) (i).

Be advised that this office would not entertain such a proposal as it would severely restrict housing choice. Roughly 75% of rental occupied housing in Middletown would be impacted by such a change.

SECTION 8 ANALYSIS REPORT: For units constructed prior to 1978, owners must complete and submit the MPHA Lead Paint Owner's Certification, Housing Choice Voucher Program as part of the Request for Tenancy Approval (RTA). The lead based paint inspector must be licensed by the State of Ohio, and failure to supply the inspectors credentials and the completed Certification will be considered an incomplete RTA for purposes of review. Staff recommends that the following Certification be adopted by MPHA as part of the Request for Tenancy Approval process to fully document lead based paint compliance.

HUD RESPONSE: The form being proposed for use would incorporate standards that exceed HQS, as stated above, which this office will not consider. The referenced forms in the HUD Guidebook are only for units where a risk assessment is required, i.e. where a child is determined to have had an elevated blood lead level -not for all units.

SECTION 8 ANALYSIS REPORT: While the City does not employ a rental registration ordinance to regulate rental units, having a City Building Inspector perform initial inspections is advantageous in three ways. First, the timing, paperwork and other problems being experienced with initial inspections would be alleviated by direct scheduling between Consoc and the City on these inspections. Second, the inspector is a certified lead based paint risk assessor by the State of Ohio and this serves as a quality control check that proper lead based paint inspections are being performed and paperwork is being turned in with the Request for Tenancy Approval for 10 new units. Finally, the inspector is also trained on inspecting to the standards in the International Property Maintenance Code, the local property code. Under 24 CFR § 982.306(c)(6), the PHA may deny approval of an assisted tenancy when the owner has a history or practice of renting units that fail to meet State or local housing codes. Utilizing the City's code enforcement software, the inspector can run a report of prior violations by any owner or address to determine if such a history or practice exists. Where appropriate, documentation and reporting would be submitted to the program administrator for potential denial of the owner based on past practices.

HUD RESPONSE: MPHA is proposing to use the International Property Maintenance Code in conducting its HQS inspections. As noted above, this change to the inspection process would involve a variation to the HQS acceptability criteria and require HUD approval as provided in 24 CFR 982.401 (a) (4) (i).

A modification to MPHA's HQS inspections using portions of the International Property Maintenance Code was approved by this office in 2002. Any further modifications would require HUD approval.

SECTION 8 ANALYSIS REPORT: Local Preferences [24 CFR 982.207; HCVp. 4-16J

The PHA is permitted to establish local preferences and to give priority to serving families that meet those criteria. HUD specifically authorizes and places restrictions on certain types of local preferences. HUD also permits the PHA to establish other local preferences, at its discretion. Any local preferences established must be consistent with the PHA plan and the consolidated plan, and must be based on local housing needs and priorities that can be documented by generally accepted data sources.

HUD RESPONSE: Changes to the occupancy policies and preferences will require a modification to the 2010 PHA Plan submitted to this office. MPHA may not adopt the modification until a meeting of the Board of Commissioners/City Council is held and the meeting at which the modification is adopted is open to the public. Additionally, the modifications cannot be implemented until notification of the modification is provided to HUD and approved by HUD in accordance with the review procedures provided in 24 CFR 903.23 .

SECTION 8 ANALYSIS REPORT: The City has supported Hope House for years. We are utilizing HOME funds in 2010 to assist with $80,000 in renovations for the new Women's Shelter on Girard. The shelter will be a transitional shelter for 3-6 months to allow victims of domestic violence the opportunity to safely get away from their abuser and to rebuild their lives. We have recommended a local preference for victims of domestic violence. We have also recommended a large reduction in vouchers operating within the City. If it would be appropriate, expanding the number of vouchers in the SRO program would use more of the City of Middletown vouchers in support of victims of domestic violence. It would also mean that fewer vouchers are being used as regular rentals throughout the City. J J

HUD RESPONSE: The SRO Program is funded by HUD through the Office of Community and Planning Development. The ACC is separate and apart from the ACC for the Housing Choice Voucher Program. The subsidy is project based and has nothing to do with the Housing Choice Voucher Program. Vouchers are not used in SRO projects

Nelson Self View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelson Self Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 29 2010 at 9:53am
Miss Vivian -

Is it really true that One Donham Plaza senior staff are contemplating hiring a consultant attorney to handle this complex matter?
Nelson Self View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelson Self Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 29 2010 at 10:26am
Miss Vivian -

How sad that the public is mostly uninformed as to how the Community Revitalization Department is spending $400,000+ allocated by HUD for the HOME Program for the 2010-2111 Program Year that began on June 1, 2010.  Since $80,000 is being utilized for the Battered Women's Shelter on Girard, do we have any idea as to how and where the other $320,000 is being spent?

It was only 18 months ago when DETAILED budgetary and other information on the HOME and CDBG Programs was presented via PowerPoint at two required public hearings held by City Council.  Once the resolution to file said applications was granted City Council, applications were then sent to HUD - Columbus Field Office no later than the respective April 15th deadlines.

Similarly, until the latter part of 2008 the City of Middletown once had a geographically, vocationally and ethnically diverse HUD Consolidated Planning Advisory Committee that was subsequently scrapped by certain senior City staff.  This 13-member body had FULL ACCESS to proposed budgetary and programmatic information PRIOR TO CITY COUNCIL SUBMISSION.  Paul Renwick, Bert Grimes, Walter Leap, Rosa Lean Lindsey, Dr. Mitchell Foster, Wanda Glover, Chris Amburgey, etc. were active participants.  The present so-called Committee has a much lesser role and is apparently selected by Miss Judy and Doug.

Only until the City of Middletown has legitimate transparent and accountable governance will any of us really know what now goes on at One Donham Plaza.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 26 2010 at 9:06am
From the Journal article "Area residents thankful for many things"- 11/25/10........Steve Hightower, a local businessman and a supporter of the Dream Center, said, “the people who really need it is what keeps me close to it. It’s amazing the amount of poverty we’ve got in this community.” This, coming from an acknowledged prominent business man, recognized for the awards and accomplishments he has achieved. He has recognized the poverty. Why can't city hall see the light? Ironic observation, since the city leaders, past and present, created this poverty climate for the city. Another indictment on the "welfare town" theme they have created. Shameful.

His mother, Jennifer, said people could eat their meals there or take them home. Many of them also left with some food to eat later. “That’s the rule. You can’t leave here without a plate,” she said. “You’d be surprised about the number of people who don’t have anywhere to go (for a Thanksgiving meal).”

The economy is certainly a major player in contributing to the poverty and desperation, but the city did us no favors in saturating the city with people who are on the edge either.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 26 2010 at 9:49am

Vet
Please watch the last meeting and listen very carefully at what was said and not said. Remember the reduction of 800 vouchers.
They are NOT taking about REDUCTION they are now talking about the City building new public housing outside the city limits and moving some (very few) of the vouchers, Sooo you must ask who will benefit from this land deal? Who owns land outside of
Middletown? Do you really believe that Trenton and other areas will welcome the City of Middletown
building Section 8 Units in their back yards?
Keep your eye on this money deal…Big money to be made on this government funded project.
Also notice that Mr. Hurst stated that the entire program will now be web based…sooo we will now loose more jobs in
Middletown
because the local CONSOC office will close.
I will also bet that this time next year you will find out that the cost of this program operated by Nelson will be the same as CONSOC and we will have the same number of vouchers.
Yep…the CASH COW is still alive and well in
Middletown

wasteful View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wasteful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 26 2010 at 10:59am
Just out of curiosity where would this "outside the city limits" be located?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic