FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

4th Ward gas???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 4th Ward gas???
    Posted: Jul 15 2010 at 5:57am

I spent some time last evening, and into the wee hours of this morning, in Mr. Picard’s Fourth Ward. I purposely went there to see what the “word on the street” and in the popular gathering places was concerning this apparent problem we have with the encroachment of gas lines into sanitary sewer lines.

What I found out was frightening.

First, a little background:

I do not have a copy of the International Property Maintenance Code, but if memory serves (always a risky proposition in my case) it incorporates by reference a number of standards which are common in the construction world. I would be amazed if, by reference or otherwise, a separation of at least 18” was not mandated for natural gas lines crossing sanitary sewer lines, and an even greater separation for such lines running parallel to one another. (As an aside, there are similar requirement for the separation of sewer lines and potable water lines, but that is a discussion for another day.)

Failing to abide by such mandates, is not just “naughty”. Such violations are not to be compared to, say, an individual innocently placing a shed a foot or two too close to a lot line, or perhaps accidentally parking a car too long in front of his home.

These code violation are actually dangerous to life, limb and property and may be completely hidden not only to the current owners or residents of properties, but also to innocent passers-by and future residents.

Even worse, the “word on the street” is that:

This is NOT the first such incident;

That other such incidents have been covered up;

That city officials are aware of many such violations but have chosen to “look the other way”;

That some gas laterals to homes were actually run INSIDE the sanitary laterals! (As cynical as I can be, even I cannot belief this one, but I have been assured it is true!);

That C,G&E/Duke directed/approved of such installations;

That most members of City Council are aware of these violations!

So, what about it, Mr. Picard???

I post here over my real name, and you DO know who I am, so I ask:

Mr. Picard, are YOU aware of this situation, and if so, what do YOU intend to do to protect the citizens of YOUR Fourth Ward and the rest of the city of Middletown?

Do YOU intend to call for an INDEPENDENT investigation to learn if Middletown City officials were aware of this situation and turned a blind eye?

What DO you intend to do to ascertain the extent of this situation, and rectify it?

Has this subject EVER been discussed by four or more Council members OUTSIDE of a City Council meeting?

“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 15 2010 at 7:21am
Master Plan Steering Committee meets 2nite @ 6pm 4th floor of the city building.
Meetings r open 2 the public, though as listeners only.

2nite's topic is economic development, with group facilitator Mr.Kohler and ED director Mr.Robinette scheduled to attend and speak.

hope that the gas lines there(and under our homes/businesses) are not in violation, and more importantly, damgerous.

Mr.P--I emailed the Council Mr.P concerning the Supthin St.mess. He was very thorough and polite in his multiple responses, which is far more than I have recieved from most past and current Councilmembers.
Credit to him for taking time from his real life schedule.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 15 2010 at 9:12am
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 15 2010 at 3:04pm
Interesting video Pacman thanks for posting.

I get the feeling the energy companies don't really give a rats petuty just as long as the pipe gets laid. If it gets laid with minimal cost then thats the route to go no doubt. If a house explodes in 20 years hey it wasn't our fault must have been another crew that did that.
No more democrats no more republicans,vote Constitution Party !!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic