FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1970's Vintage HUD and the City of Middletown

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
swohio75 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swohio75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 13 2010 at 9:13pm
The problem I had with this plan is it did not get the city out of the mall business and did not reduce their maintenance costs. For example, there was a canopy, just a newer one, over the fountain and storefronts on the north side of Central. The north concourse would have remained. All would have been climate controlled with the city bearing the burden.

Plus, Mr. Thatcher did not have anything lined up in terms of actual redevelopment for the south side of Central. He threw around Cristo's name, but Cristo wasn't doing commercial development and quite frankly, most of his recent residential development looks like crap. But that's just my $0.02.

It wasn't a matter of living in the past for me.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 14 2010 at 6:13am
"If people in Middletown spent as much time looking at the present and the future as they do lamenting about the past and what never was, maybe this town would move forward. It appears presently to many can't get over their childhoods and the 50'-60's", -wasteful.......

Guilty as charged wasteful. I'm one of the biggest perpetrators of this. For me, it's a comfort thing that evokes memories of a much more pleasant time in this town. I have not lost the fact that this town needs to be much more progressive in its thinking and am well aware that it is lagging far behind the surrounding areas and has since the early 80's. Unfortunately, I don't think we will get to where we want to go with the present administration running this town. That's why I have suggested numerous times that we gut and replace city council, fire the city manager and many of the department heads and start from the ground floor with new people with new attitudes. They (and past admin's) are part of the reason why we have remained stagnant in town growth.

Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 14 2010 at 9:14am
I agree with Vet....city hall needs a major cleaning out. Everyone there needs and should be fired. Gilleland would be the very first one to hit the street.

I'm like Vet,I live in the past because the past was a helluva lot better than anything we've got today. The younger generation doesn't understand this because they don't know any better and have never lived during simple times. I'll take the past any day over the present or future.
angelababy View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angelababy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 15 2010 at 11:44pm
Although the idea was a failure, I do miss the old mall sometimes.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic