FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Weatherwax-Revisited

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Weatherwax-Revisited
    Posted: Apr 22 2013 at 6:34am
Journal story....

Investors interested in Weatherwax

If city council decides to “dump” Weatherwax Golf Course for less than 50 percent of its market value, Dave Tieman, longtime golf director, said potential buyers will line up.

Ever since a majority of Middletown City Council members said they’re willing to sell the 41-year-old Weatherwax Golf Course, Tieman said he has been contacted by six investment groups “very interested” in purchasing the 36-hole course. He refused to name the groups.

Tieman has told council that Weatherwax, just 10 years ago, was valued at $4.5 million to $5 million, but today, because of the weak economy and health of the golf industry, he estimated its worth at $1.2 million.

If City Council votes to sell the course, and it sets a price at $500,000, Tieman predicted it won’t be on the market long, even though he told council that golf courses aren’t selling right now.

The future of Weatherwax is precarious because of nearly $1 million still owed on a bond for past improvements made to the course, and money already invested in the course that could not be recouped if the city sold the land.

The 2012 subsidy — which was $403,000 including the $222,559 debt payment — was the largest ever.

Weatherwax has become a hot political topic because of its performance in 2011 and 2012, both Tieman blamed on weather.

SELL IT. IT HAS BECOME A WHITE ELEPHANT FINANCIALLY, IT BENEFITS A SMALL PERCENTAGE OF THE CITY'S POPULATION AND THE CITY LOSES MONEY ON IT EVERY YEAR, RIGHT? WITH THE CITY CLAIMING THEY ARE STRAPPED FOR CASH (EXCEPT WHEN THEY "FIND" SOME MONEY TO DO THEIR "SPECIAL" PROJECTS FOR THEIR FRIENDS) IT WOULD MAKE SENSE TO UNLOAD IT INTO PRIVATE INVESTOR HANDS. THE AIRPORT ALSO. LET'S GET BACK TO PROVIDING THE BASICS, DOING THAT WELL, DOWNSIZING THE GOVERNMENT OPERATION UNTIL THE CITY BUILDS REVENUE THROUGH JOB CREATION, STABILIZES, AND THEN MOVE ON TO ADDING THE FRILLS. UNTIL THE ECONOMY IMPROVES, UNTIL THE CITY HEALTH IMPROVES, IT IT TIME TO PULL BACK UNNECESSARY SPENDING WHILE PURSUING REVENUE SOURCES. JMO

Council member opinions range from A.J. Smith, who didn’t know how many holes were at Weatherwax, who said to sell the course immediately to Vice Mayor Dan Picard who said he’s willing to give the course another year to increase revenues

DANNY, WE ALREADY HAVE A TRACK RECORD ESTABLISHED FOR CITY FINANCIAL INTERVENTION AT THE COURSE. EVERY YEAR, LIKE CLOCKWORK, THE CITY SPENDS MONEY TO KEEP THE COURSE OPERATION AFLOAT. ONE MORE YEAR, AS YOU SUGGEST, IS NOT GOING TO REMEDY THE SITUATION AND WILL MEAN ANOTHER $400,000 BUCKS OUT OF THE CITY COFFERS TO MAINTAIN WHAT SHOULD BE A PRIVATELY RUN BUSINESS. THE COURSE CAN'T MAKE UP THE DIFFERENCE OF 400 THOU TO OFFSET THE CITY MONEY. IT WON'T BREAK EVEN AND THE CITY WILL AGAIN, WASTE MONEY TO MAKE UP THE DIFFERENCE.
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 22 2013 at 6:48am
Similar story from the Journal...

Middletown airport to have new manager soon

Start Aviation is set to be the permanent manager at the Middletown Regional Airport/Hook Field, after serving as the interim manager since January.

Middletown Economic Development Program Manager Matt Eisenbraun, who is the city’s employee liaison to the airport commission, said a contract is “working its way through the system” to award Start Aviation the contract

THE ECON DEV. DEPT. NEEDS A DIRECTOR AND A "PROGRAM MANAGER"? AND WHAT WOULD THIS PROGRAM MANAGER DO THAT THE DIRECTOR CAN'T DO? ANOTHER TOP-HEAVY DEPT. IN THE CITY BUILDING?

Start Aviation, owned by John Hart, was awarded a 90-day contract to take over as the airport manager on a temporary basis after the resignation of Rich Bevis, owner of B&B Aero. Bevis said in a scathing resignation letter that he was leaving because of issues he had with City Manager Judy Gilleland, claiming she “mishandled” business contracts costing the airport tens of thousands of dollars

IF TRUE, ANOTHER REASON WHY CITY PEOPLE SHOULD KEEP THEIR NOSES OUT OF THE BUSINESS OF NEGOTIATIONS, ESPECIALLY GILLELAND, WHO SEEMS RATHER INEPT AT TIMES.

Council is expected to vote on the contract at one of its two regularly scheduled meetings, but a few changes in the contract will help save the city between $20,000 to $25,000 a year. The city spends about $90,000 a year to subsidize the operations of the airport, and a goal of Start Aviation, the airport commission and Eisenbraun is to reduce that subsidy to zero

90 THOU A YEAR PLOWED INTO THE AIRPORT, AGAIN, FROM A CITY THAT CLAIMS THAT MONEY IS TIGHT. LIKE WEATHERWAX, THERE IS A NEED TO ELIMINATE THIS COST FROM THE BUDGET. THIS CITY, FOR BEING POOR, SURE SUBSIDIZES ALOT OF OPERATIONS THAT SHOULD BE IN THE HANDS OF THE PRIVATE SECTOR.

The contract will include Start Aviation provide all of its lawn maintenance and snow removal equipment, which was provided by the city. The contract will be increased from $50,000 to $70,000 a year, but Eisenbraun said the city had paid $37,000 last year for Bevis and his crew to use that equipment

AND THAT'S 37 THOU MORE. IT ALL ADDS UP.

I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
mitchEMG01 View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mitchEMG01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 22 2013 at 9:20am
My family and I came to Middletown in 1987, fell in love with the area, and especially the Weatherwax golf course. 
I came here for one 3-month job at Armco, and stayed there for over 4 years.  Then found employment  in Cincinnati, and then Dayton.  Now I am retired and plan to stay here. 

I have made many friends here, and have owned my home for 22 years.  My step-daughter has married into a good family, and her children are happy in John 23rd.  I still love the area and the local sports teams.  However, I have been saddened by several things:  1) the "Lake Middletown" project on the Great Miami, 2) the mere existence of the mall in the heart of Middletown (fortunately removed), 3) the poor management of the Towne Mall, 4) the upkeep of "favorite", not most used, streets (excepting University), 5) the prevalence of bad influence on young people.  Perhaps a committee should be sent to Wausau, WS, or even to Lebanon, Ohio to see what can be done with a small town.  (If it were done though, it would probably be members of the council and would result in nada.) 

Now the thought of selling Weatherwax is to me, the most inane idea to come to the town leadership yet.  Towns across the country would love to have a 36 hole course with bent grass.  I have been told in the past, that Weatherwax has been used as a "piggy bank" by the special interests of Middletown leaders.  Politics is another "four-letter" word to me.  But I believe that is what selling Weatherwax would be about - not saving money, but getting some cash in hand to further pet projects that benefit only a few.  Far fewer than the number of folks that play golf at Weatherwax.  Ignoring long-term benefits.  I know people that come from more affluent areas than Middletown just to golf Weatherwax.

Why not promote Weatherwax?  Let regional business leaders know about the course, and the great fairways and greens.  The beautiful vista from the fairways,  the wildlife, the pleasant company, the VERY resonable cost to the players.  I have never met a person on a golf course that I did not like.  I have met a goodly number in Middletown proper though.  Why does this very web site promote a golf tournament at ANOTHER golf course? 

Some promotion from the leaders of Middletown would be a great help to get the attendance back up to where it was 20 years ago.
Concerned citizen of Middletown, OH
enough is enough View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote enough is enough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 22 2013 at 3:12pm
If the city is serious about selling Weatherwax then why is there a new fleet of golf carts? Were these purchased or leased? Also why is money being spent on improvements to the outside of the clubhouse? If the asking price is $500,000 then it will probably be snatched up pretty quick. Why not ask at least 1 milion and at least pay off the debt?

Dave Tieman IMO has done an excellent job. If you want to talk about the hey day of the course remember that back then we had Armco executives living in town who played golf and we were not over run with unemployment, Section 8 and crack houses. Just a thought.
Enough is Enough
Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 22 2013 at 3:25pm
maybe donald trump will buy it, maybe the city should call trumps people and offer incentives for him to buy it. could you imagine what a boost that would give the are ,and we have an airport close by  just a thought Wink
LMAO View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LMAO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 22 2013 at 4:07pm
We all should know what are "SPINELESS ONES" will do.They do it all the time.Either they will give it away or they will lose money on the deal.They have a pattern on sticking it to the taxpayers.Cry
Enough I believe the fleet your talking about they are leasing them.If I remeber right they robed peter to pay paul to get them.Again,their thought process only last for a few seconds.LOL
I'm working on a deal to sell my properties so I can get the hell out of this town.Praying and keeping fingers crossed that it happens.The "SPINELESS ONES" are going to continue to do the opposite of what the people want.Unless your a friend or a family member of course.LOL
tk1 View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tk1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 27 2013 at 8:09pm
Weatherwax Golf Course is a real asset for the city of Middletown. It brings many people to Middletown who would otherwise not come to the city and spend their money.

Weatherwax is well known to all golfers in the tristate area. To sell it at this time, or anytime, would be a serious mistake.

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 28 2013 at 2:53pm
Originally posted by tk1 tk1 wrote:

Weatherwax Golf Course is a real asset for the city of Middletown. It brings many people to Middletown who would otherwise not come to the city and spend their money.

Weatherwax is well known to all golfers in the tristate area. To sell it at this time, or anytime, would be a serious mistake.

Even with the out of town patrons, it is costing the city $400,000 per year and still goes in the red on budget. It attracts only a small percentage of the Middletown population and is a money loser in a city budget that is cash starved (ie- money starved until the MMF wants $95,000 for a building purchase or the Moorman's want some free forgivable taxpayer loan cash for their little artzy empire they are trying to build or the Manchester gets some foregivable taxpayer loan money)

Putting the desire to play the game of golf aside, (if you are a golfer that is), are you sure it is financially wise to keep throwing $400 thou in a project that hasn't shown it can stand on it's own and loses money every year? Not wise finances nor ROI, is it?
tk1 View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tk1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 28 2013 at 3:15pm
It hasn't lost money every year. In fact, most years it has made money including servicing the debt. The last 2 years have not been financially good due to weather conditions.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 28 2013 at 3:43pm
Fair enough. We agree to disagree whether this is a white elephant or not. Just don't think enough of the population benefits from what the course offers to substantiate the amount of city help it has received in the past. It has been publicized many times over the years that this course has not been self sufficient. Many more basic, immediate priorities for this city for money investment other than a golf course, starting with the streets. JMO
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 28 2013 at 9:08pm
vet---you don't get it because you don't want to get it imo.
weatherwax has done well over the long run.
every golf club around is struggling.
i just finished playing a beautiful course in Fla. @ $15 per player--Sunday evening rate.
you have no problem shilling for the Senior Center levy because you benefit from it.
So quit being hypocritical.
Not everyone belongs to Wildwood or BRCC
Golf is cheap everywhere these days.
Should we fire sale a beautiful asset--no f'n way!
if it is sold, it should be sold for top $$ instead of enough to pay the debt or fund more giveaway follies in the former downtown area.
Weatherwax is one of our best amenities and attractions imo.
Can't wait to get out there!
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 29 2013 at 6:14am
Spider....

I can understand why you and perhaps the others who like to golf want this to remain in city hands.

Spider: "vet---you don't get it because you don't want to get it imo"

No, It's not a matter of me "getting it". I am just coming from a different direction than you on the courses importance to the community. I see selling the course to the private sector and placing the money that would have been spent on the course, on the streets. You will agree the streets are one of the top priorities won't you? Higher than the golf course?

Spider: "weatherwax has done well over the long run"

Then why have we heard stories in the Journal that the city is subsidizing it each year for hundreds of thousands of dollars? It is not a stand alone entity. It is not self-sufficient. Hasn't been for years.

Spider: "you have no problem shilling for the Senior Center levy because you benefit from it"

This is true. Our family does benefit through Meals On Wheels and the transport services. So do many people. The population of this town......this state....this country is getting older. I would imagine more seniors facilities will be needed and used as we, the Baby Boomers get a little older. You may start using the center and their services at some point, you never know Spider. There are no guarantees in life that your/your family's health will hold out. I hope it does but sh-- happens in life that is unexpected and tragic. One big difference....the people of this town had an opportunity to vote to keep the seniors center afloat and where to direct our money. Right outcome or wrong, the people had a say. The people have never had a vote on whether to keep the golf course. The cost to maintain the course is forced on the taxpayer by the city.

Spider: "Should we fire sale a beautiful asset--no f'n way!
if it is sold, it should be sold for top $$ instead of enough to pay the debt or fund more giveaway follies in the former downtown area.
Weatherwax is one of our best amenities and attractions imo"

Likewise, should we use the money from a cash-starved budget to subsidize a golf course, used by a small percentage of Middletown area people, for years on end? Couldn't this money be used for a higher priority than golf? You tell me when you think the course will break even, so as not to be a burden on the budget. You play, most don't. Just askin'.
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 29 2013 at 8:39am
correction my way vet
u did not shill for the levy--simply supported it

our city is approaching cash-poor because of ridiculous over-spending on useless properties(which have to be given away or torn down-yet few ever get demo'ed) and incentives to poorly located businesses that have no chance otherwise.

short-term thinking is usually bad thinking
just look at m29's move to eliminate dedicated infrastructure funding to pump the general fund piggy bank.
and a majority voted for this--i did not
typiucal RINO thinking---and this town is full of RINOs

this town is beginning to come back because of private businesss funding/efforts and broad personal community involvement/willpower despite the backwards meddling from Council, admin and DMI/MMF
even our Chamber doesn't get it

sigh--if only i was in charge--lol
ktf1179 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ktf1179 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 29 2013 at 10:11am
If private investment will take better care of Weatherwax and increase the use of the golf course, I say sell it. Or figure out a way to do a public/private partnership to help share the cost and up keep of the golf course. 

Personally it doesn't make any sense to operate a golf course as far as I know is not even within Middletown city limits. That should be left to the township or even Trenton to operate.

Unless Middletown could annex the land around Weatherwax. Then they could attract upscale housing development around it. Very similar to Heatherwood in Springboro, and Yankee Trace in Centerville. Not only would they get more use out of the golf course by the local residents, but also a increased income by attracting upper income families to the area.

Otherwise let a private company operate it.

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 29 2013 at 11:17am
Agree with all that you have said here.

Spider:

"sigh--if only i was in charge--lol"

You make light of this comment but there are people in town (usually longtimers) that would like to see that happen with you joined by 5 or 6 others from the same mold. You have demonstrated common sense and good sound ideas over the years and council and the other fools, both past and present, could learn from your suggestions.    

I still don't know who M29 is but suspect he/she is from the 8o's era on council with the comment concerning eliminating infrastructure funding (street fund) and placing that money in the general fund....for decades and to this date. Gotta be Becker or someone who served with him.

Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 29 2013 at 11:53am
Thanx vet
I had hoped to make a run this year, I am not able because of business/family issues.
Also my family does not want me to run .
Plus-- my time here may be short

Actually, I don't really care who owns the golf course
It may well be better maintained and operated by a private firm.
Just hate to see the city paid a pittance probably to be spent on wages/bennies and/or more property purchases followed by giveaways, especially in the former downtown area. Funny how these properties become worthless after we pay good money for them.
Plus--they always seem to go to a small group of investors who could afford to pay but won't(because they know that they will get them for free).
jmo
over the hill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 29 2013 at 2:13pm
everyone keeps talking about the golf course as if it was sold it will disappear off the face of the earth. It will still be located in the same spot. Would'nt it still be operated as a golf course? would'nt we still have people playing the course?
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 29 2013 at 3:17pm
Originally posted by over the hill over the hill wrote:

everyone keeps talking about the golf course as if it was sold it will disappear off the face of the earth. It will still be located in the same spot. Would'nt it still be operated as a golf course? would'nt we still have people playing the course?

Sure. I was just trying to suggest that the city unload it to free up some money to add to the streets, which. IMO, are a higher priority than a recreational budget drain. No guarantee that the money saved would be put toward the streets even if they unloaded the course. We all know how they run this city......if it's logical, forget about it. They will make the most assinine decisions one could imagine. Have in the past and will continue to do so until they are removed from their positions.   
over the hill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 29 2013 at 4:23pm
completely agree!!
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 29 2013 at 6:34pm
Spider:

"Plus-- my time here may be short"

NO! SAY IT AIN'T SO SPIDER!!!! WE NEED GOOD PEOPLE LIKE YOU TO HELP US POLICE THE POOR CITY LEADERSHIP. HOPEFULLY, SOMEDAY, WE WILL ALL GET ENOUGH OF THE NONSENSE AND DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT BESIDE TALK ON A BLOG. WHILE WE ARE WAITING FOR THE RESIDENTS TO WAKE UP, PERHAPS IN A FUTILE MODE, WE WILL DISCUSS ON THIS SITE, THE DAY TO DAY CRAP THAT THE PEOPLE ENDURE FROM INEPT THINKING DEALT OUT BY CITY OFFICIALS. FOR THE SAKE OF THE CITY, THESE PEOPLE CANNOT WIN THE FIGHT. THEY HAVE ALREADY DONE TOO MUCH DAMAGE.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic