Google+ and Facebook

Home | Yearly News Archive | Advertisers | Blog | Contact Us
Saturday, April 20, 2024
FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

AGENDA 6-04-2013

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
over the hill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 06 2013 at 8:23pm
There was nothing wrong with him trying to reduce the # of vouchers it was all in the way he was doing it,and evidentally,HUD didn't like the way he was doing it either,so they're going to take a closer look.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 08 2013 at 3:47pm
Over The Hill,

The fact that HUD did not like the way the city was reducing Section 8 Vouchers is of no interest to me and a significant number of Middletown residents.  HUD to this date has provided no valid reason for not reducing the number of section 8 vouchers in the City of Middletown.  Many on this site have no knowledge how the city acquired so many vouchers.  The fact that the City Of Middletown has more vouchers per capita than the city of New York has should tell you something. 
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 08 2013 at 5:09pm
Then there are many on this site that cannot read Ms. Moon has told that many many times on this site along with others that have knowledge of how they got here.
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 08 2013 at 5:21pm

Pacman - The fact that HUD did not like the way the city was reducing Section 8 Vouchers is of no interest to me and a significant number of Middletown residents.  HUD to this date has provided no valid reason for not reducing the number of section 8 vouchers in the City of Middletown. 

Pacman, I admit I have limited knowledge of the inter workings of the Section 8 Program however every year the City of Middletown must submit a plan for the Section 8 Program and that plan must be approved by HUD. The city also must submit plans for the other HUD Programs also for HUD to approve. However the City of Middletown can not just run these people out of town because they are poor and on the Section 8 Program. The valid reason why HUD will not reduce the number of Section 8 Vouchers is simple...The numbers shown that Middletown is an area of GREAT NEED for this program.

Many on this site have no knowledge how the city acquired so many vouchers. 

Pacman, Some place on this blog I posted the proof that Mr. Kohler and City Council Members requested an increase in Section 8 Vouchers over a 5 year period until these vouchers reached the current number of 1662. The current contract between City Hall and HUD has not been approved therefore City Hall is not in compliance.

The fact that the City Of Middletown has more vouchers per capita than the city of New York has should tell you something. 

Yes..it tell me that City Hall wanted all that free federal program money.

Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 09 2013 at 6:33pm
Vivian,

You continue to share misinformation about the Cities intentions on reducing the number of S8 vouchers in Middletown.  The City WILL NOT throw anyone out the currently has a S8 voucher.  The City is going to reduce the vouchers by attrition.  In others words, As the voucher is turned, it will not be reissued until it hits the specific goal the City intends to reach.

HUD is just as much at fault as the City of Middletown Employees and Elected Officials for the large disproportionate number vouchers in Middletown by okaying the number of vouchers currently in use.  Mr. Adkins, Ms. Gilleland, and current elected council had no hand in the current up of vouchers in Middletown.  However, your friends at CONSOC and some current city employees did have a hand in this rapid increase in vouchers. 

Vivian, No One is being Hurt by the reduction of S8 Vouchers in Middletown.  The worse that could happen is that the voucher program is shuffled off to Butler County.  And the people who have vouchers in Middletown will continue to have vouchers in Middletown. 

PacmanCool

Libertarian View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Libertarian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 09 2013 at 6:53pm
Pacman -

You have never once provided substantive and relevant documentation regarding community development issues.  However, you are quick to condemn and malign people like Vivian.  She has painstakingly obtained information from city hall sources that enlighten us.  As for you, it's all conjecture.  Your comments and criticisms are baseless.  Have a good time slamming people who are really doing something to expose the truth and make local government accountable.  You continuously shoot from the hip.  It's time to unload your weapon.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 10 2013 at 1:50am

Vivian,

You continue to share misinformation about the Cities intentions on reducing the number of S8 vouchers in
Middletown.  The City WILL NOT throw anyone out the currently has a S8 voucher.  The City is going to reduce the vouchers by attrition.  In others words, As the voucher is turned, it will not be reissued until it hits the specific goal the City intends to reach.
Pacman, I do not believe that I have misinformed anyone about the Section 8 Program.
Several years when HUD replied to the city’s 96 page report they stated then that they would not reduce the number of vouchers because in their view the need was too great in the Middletown area.
Section 8 tenants that are on the waiting list are being denied available housing by Mr Adkins. This is a serious charge in the eyes of HUD

HUD is just as much at fault as the City of Middletown Employees and Elected Officials for the large disproportionate number vouchers in Middletown by okaying the number of vouchers currently in use. 
I do not agree with this statement

Mr. Adkins, Ms. Gilleland, and current elected council had no hand in the current up of vouchers in Middletown
I agree with this statement

However, your friends at CONSOC and some current city employees did have a hand in this rapid increase in vouchers. 
I’m not friends with the people at CONSCO however I did have a discussion with a council member at the time of the change and voiced my concerns about the way the inspections were going to be completed by a firm outside of Middletown and I believe I have been proven correct in my concerns.
and yes some of the current city employees were involved in the increase

Vivian, No One is being Hurt by the reduction of S8 Vouchers in
Middletown.  The worse that could happen is that the voucher program is shuffled off to Butler County.  And the people who have vouchers in Middletown will continue to have vouchers in Middletown
I guess we will need to wait and see what happens down at City Hall.
I still believe that HUD will not reduce the number of voucher here in
Middletown.

Pacman

processor View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote processor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 10 2013 at 11:26am
Vivian,
I don't know much about the history of section 8 in Middletown, but I do know that the huge number of vouchers in Middletown is very detrimental to the city and to the residents.  Our cost has gone way up and the quality of life in Middletown has gone way down.  I feel for the people who may not be getting the vouchers, but they need to go somewhere else and/or figure out a way to provide for themselves.  The huge numbers of section 8 is a huge drag on the city directly and indirectly.  The cost of police and schools are much higher than they would be without the section 8.  Increased crime is a huge cost to victims.  Major companies won't invest because the demographics (ie too many poor people) won't support their businesses and this reduces the amenities in Middletown which reduces the city's ability to attract new residents which reduces our property values which then continues the cycle.

I not only applaud city council for trying to reduce the number of vouchers, but also am pushing them to take them to ZERO.

I don't understand why you're concerned that the city follow HUD's direction.  They don't live here.  They don't have to put up with all of the negative impact and I'm not sure legally what they can do about the city reducing the vouchers.  Regardless I'm glad that the city is doing what it can to reduce them.  Let HUD sue us.
ktf1179 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ktf1179 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 10 2013 at 11:38am
Better yet, let's get our congressman John Boehner to call attention to this issue of cities having issues reducing Section 8 housing.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 10 2013 at 12:22pm
Someone make the call to Boehner!!!
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 10 2013 at 12:29pm

Proscessor-Vivian, I don't know much about the history of section 8 in Middletown, but I do know that the huge number of vouchers in Middletown is very detrimental to the city and to the residents.  Our cost has gone way up and the quality of life in Middletown has gone way down.  I feel for the people who may not be getting the vouchers, but they need to go somewhere else and/or figure out a way to provide for themselves.  The huge numbers of section 8 is a huge drag on the city directly and indirectly.  The cost of police and schools are much higher than they would be without the section 8.  Increased crime is a huge cost to victims.  Major companies won't invest because the demographics (ie too many poor people) won't support their businesses and this reduces the amenities in Middletown which reduces the city's ability to attract new residents which reduces our property values which then continues the cycle.

Processor
I agree with everything that you have stated above.
This was a ROYAL SCREW UP, a TOTAL FAILURE of City Hall from the City Council Members, City Managers, and Department Heads.
And just think, our tax dollars were used to pay their salaries while they destroyed our city.
With that said you must also remember that the landlords and the tenants have rights.

MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 10 2013 at 12:32pm

Over the Hill
I believe that City Hall has already contacted all our state officials.

Sports Mom View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sports Mom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 10 2013 at 3:44pm
Processor, while I agree with everything you said it's not as easy as let HUD sue us.  As Vivian stated before as a recipient of HUD monies, the City submits a plan to HUD as to what they will do with that money.  If you don't follow the plan, they simply cut off your money.  It's used for more than just Section 8 Housing and could do more harm than good to lose eligibility.  Vouchers need to be reduced but not at the cost of all HUD programs.
processor View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote processor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 10 2013 at 4:32pm
Vivian,
I don't understand what "rights" landlords and tenant have.  Rights are constitutionally given.  Rights are not a matter of law.  There is nothing constitutional about the HUD mess.  They don't have rights to federally subsidized rent.  Just because landlords have figured out how to suck money from the public tit, as have the section 8 tenants and just because it would financially hurt them if the program were cut off, doesn't mean they have "rights"

Sports Mom,
I agree that HUD could retaliate and cut off some funding, and probably would.  I don't agree that it would hurt Middletown to lose this money.  It may actually help.  I can't see where any of the city building purchases have amounted to a help for the citizens of Middletown.  In spite of their best of intentions I can't see where city leaders can invest money better than private individuals.  What value have the citizens received from all of the purchases, etc?  I can't think of any but may be missing some good that has come out of the HUD money.  I just don't see where "investments" that are determined by a political process come out good.  Not because of the people involved...many really do care...the process just doesn't support good decisions when it comes to investment.  IMO
TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 10 2013 at 4:59pm
Processor,

How do you come up with the idea that removing money from the local economy would be good for the city? What possesses you to decide that the poor should leave and "figure something out" to support themselves? Are you an employer? A moving company? Should we just give all the Sec. 8 families a one-way bus ticket? Your lack of compassion and understanding isn't really a surprise but I do wonder where you come up with this kind of logic.

Having said that, I agree that the city should never have accepted all those vouchers. However, what is done is done. The city needs to work with HUD to reduce the number of vouchers through attrition. A lawsuit would only drain more money from the city fighting a battle they are destined to lose. Middletown isn't getting out of the current death spiral until they can bring living wage jobs to the city. Until that happens, poverty and crime will continue and once those Sec. 8 vouchers are finally reduced, you won't have that excuse to use for why Middletown is in decline.
processor View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote processor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 10 2013 at 5:31pm
Tony,
I admire your compassion, however, I'm convinced that section 8 is a huge detriment to Middletown and until it is removed Middletown will never stand a chance of improving to any great degree.  I feel badly for the poor and the section 8 people but the good people of Middletown can only support so many people until their lives are so negatively impacted that they are no longer able to help.  Then everyone is worse off.  In addition helping people to learn to help themselves is a wonderful thing that I try to do daily, however, creating a dependent class of people causes harm to all.  Section 8 has, unfortunately, become a way of life for too many people.

Regarding removing money from the local economy, money spent unwisely or on the wrong things can cause more long term harm than not spending it in the first place.  More money does not always equal increased prosperity.  Middletown is a prime example.  Please show me where all of the Federal money spent in Middletown has kept us where we were in the 70's or 80's.  For example, did the downtown mall prevent the downtown from failing?  That was a lot of Federal money.  I'm sure it helped short term, but long term I think that it left us worse off that if the downtown merchants had been forced to re-define themselves when they were still reasonable financially strong.  I'm sure that the members of this board can think of hundreds of additional examples where Federal money helped short term, but left us worse in the long term.
TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 11 2013 at 7:21am
Processor,

The fact that the money the federal government gave to Middletown was spent poorly wasn't the fault of the Feds but the city. Poor plans and even poorer execution doomed the downtown mall and Lake Middletown. The fault here wasn't the money spent but how it was spent. No amount of money would have prevented the slide of prosperity in Middletown that wasn't associated with bring jobs to the city. Armco was the one-trick pony in town and when their employment started to decline and they moved their corporate headquarters out of town, the city started to decline as well.

I do hate to break this to you but we are all dependent. It's a complete fallacy to think that you are self sufficient when you don't grow your own food, produce your own electricity and supply your own water. The good people of Middletown do not support removing all Section 8 housing but there is no question that Section 8 is out of balance with the rest of the county, the state and the nation as a whole. There won't be a significant increase in the welfare of Middletown until living wage jobs are brought to town in large numbers.
Libertarian View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Libertarian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 11 2013 at 9:09am
Please remember what VietVet always says:  "Our first priority should have been and is to bring good jobs here."  He speaks the plain and simple truth.
processor View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote processor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 11 2013 at 11:16am
Tony,
I agree with you, and Libertarian, that what Middletown needs is a huge increase in high paying jobs.  However, I believe that the huge numbers of section 8 and housing projects and the resulting poor demographics and lack of amenities and low performing schools greatly reduce the chance of Middletown attracting employers that would offer these sorts of positions.  That until these underlying issues are addressed and solved there won't be improvement in the job opportunities just further degradation. 

Regarding the Federal money and how poorly it was spent, you've just made my point about the political process not being able to effectively spend our tax dollars especially when it comes to economic development.  If you can't spend the money effectively why wouldn't you leave it in private individual's hands and let them spend it as they see fit.

Regarding ARMCO, didn't they leave well after Middletown's slide?  I think they left as a result of the slide and weren't the cause of the slide though them leaving certainly didn't help.
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 11 2013 at 12:18pm
The AK workers were locked out for a year.I think that was a huge blow to Middletown economy then the economy nationally took a nose dive and Midd was never able to recover then a new admin came in with bad policies for Midd. Dayton was hit hard too and that effected Midd too then AK moved it's head quarters out of Midd. Midd will never be the same work force it was before. The work force of the future is service and tech areas,that's the jobs that will be needed so the work force needs to educate themselves in those areas.IMO
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic