FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mall should allow CCW holders

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
bumper View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bumper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mall should allow CCW holders
    Posted: Dec 23 2014 at 9:48pm

Law-abiding concealed carry weapons permit holders should be allowed to carry their firearms in private businesses that cannot guarantee their customers will not encounter criminals! FACT!! THUGS take their guns anywhere they want!glad to hear the good guy came out on top and stopped the  middletown criminal from doing anymore crimes!!   those stupid little signs on the doors saying NO GUNS only helps the thugs do their crimes, most ccw lic holders like myself will not enter anywhere one is posted!! will just spend my money where i know, if i have the need, i got it..

Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 24 2014 at 10:34am
Bumper
I believe that it is time for all the Big Box Stores to stop selling, BB guns, pellet guns, air rifles, and guns of any kind in these stores. All Guns now need to be sold at a gun shop. If customers at the big box stores can’t keep these items secured in the boxes until they reach home then we need to change the policy.
over the hill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 24 2014 at 12:04pm
Why were teenagers carrying guns? Is there any statute on the books in Ohio as to age for carrying or having ccw?
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 24 2014 at 12:39pm
These kids shouldn't have any kind of a gun...All of these stories are breaking my heart.
I guess the Middletown teenager had a real gun however he had brought a pellet gun to school earlier this year.
But the point I was making was if anyone points a gun at me..in a split second ..how do I know if it's a real gun or not?
I sure do not want to take anyones life because they were playing around with a fake gun...
We need to come up with a better plan
bumper View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bumper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 24 2014 at 1:07pm
i would be willing to bet the teen had a stolen gun! might not had ammo for it, but it was real! and the teen paid the price for pointing at someone who he did not think had a gun coming out of the mall with signs on the doors saying NO GUNS allowed! the ccw lic holder must have not seen the sign or maybe he just did not care that there are signs when going in the mall, then coming out , his gun saved his life !!  plus he got to keep his tennis shoes...
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 24 2014 at 1:37pm

Sad but you are probably correct Bumper.
My prayers go out to all that were involved

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 24 2014 at 7:31pm
Mom, living in Columbus. Dad and son living in Middletown with dad working out of town on multiple jobs to make ends meet. The son, with no supervision, including a mentor, running with the wrong crowd and now dead because no one was there to tell him he was on the wrong path. Couple that with the inability of the kid to make wise life choices but instead choosing the criminal record route. Parents duty to teach the kid right from wrong. They failed. Look in the mirror for the problem.

Other similar recent issues not conducive to proper behavior......

4 or 5 cops take down a large minority male with a choke hold applied to the guy even after he said he couldn't breath and ended up dying. Why didn't the dam cop let lose of the throat grip after he was down on the ground with 4 cops sitting on him? Cop should be prosecuted. His actions were wayyyy over the top for the situation. Usually take the cops side on things. Not this time. This, all because he was going to another state, purchasing cigarettes and selling 'em back in NY, making a profit. Was the selling of cigarettes worth him losing his life over? Don't think so.

Teenage kid waving a gun, out of the package, around a Beavercreek Wal-Mart. Told to put the gun down. Failed to comply with the cops instructions and now dead. Parents duty to teach a kid right from wrong. They failed and have the audacity to get on TV and take it to another level when THEY were the catalyst for the initial issue. The fault is in the mirror if they would look at themselves.

Ferguson Mo. and the total idiocy going on there with the retribution from the minority community coming in the form of burning and looting everything in sight.....IN THEIR OWN NEIGHBORHOOD. This, in lieu of holding the kid responsible for his actions and the parents teaching the kid the correct behavior for society acceptance. If the MAN is the problem, why not go the where the MAN lives and burn their neighborhood down. Instead, they torch their own surroundings. Incredible.

All of these incidents.......total wastes of life, and sadly, now we are all seeing it as a trend. Button down the hatches and get your guns out. It's the wild west again folks
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 24 2014 at 8:24pm

Posted: 1:24 p.m. Wednesday, Dec. 24, 2014

Man arrested after pointing fake gun at motorists

By Breaking News Staff

DAYTON 

A man was arrested on an inducing panic charge after he pointed a fake gun at passing motorists, according to a police report.

Bennie Coleman, 20, was arrested on Tuesday morning and booked in Montgomery County Jail. Police observed him in a firing stance, pointing the gun at passing motorists and waving the gun back and forth from left to right, according to a Dayton police report.

Police were called to the area after a woman called 911 and reported a male was walking north on Keowee Street carrying a pistol with an orange tip, and when she drove by, he pointed the gun at her.

Police ordered Coleman to drop the gun, and he replied, “It’s a toy,” as he raised his hands waist high with the gun still in his hand, according to the report. The responding officer said he started to draw his service weapon from the holster and ordered Coleman again to drop the weapon, according to the report. Coleman then complied and dropped the gun.

Coleman told police he pointed the gun at people to “just have some fun since it was Christmas time,” according to the report.

Mercy...what on earth are these young people thinking to something this dumb?

Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 28 2014 at 5:50pm
I don't think that any one ever had to tell me not to point guns at cops or try to take their gun and beat them up, or go around pointing toy guns at other people and or cops and not expect to get shot! Now I guess that the answer is to take guns away from everyone because of these idiots? Or make them less accessible To law abiding citizens? Maybe we should just rely on government to protect us I trust politicians about as far as I can throw them. obama, eric holder al sharpton and the media seem to fanning the flames and want civil unrest. Building shrines to a thug that robbed a store then tried to beat a cop and take his gun winds up dead made into a hero and the cops the bad guy? 
over the hill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 29 2014 at 11:21am
If you are stupid enough to point a gun at police,then expect consequences. IMO
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 29 2014 at 1:37pm
This issue has played on my mind since it has come up again

On my businesses, I had the stickers stating no firearms allowed inside. I was a Chamber member, BusinessWatch member and served on the Citizens' Advisory Board to the Police Dept. At our scheduled meetings, police dept.representatives brought these stickers, passed them out and encouraged their posting. I thought long and hard, then complied.

My reasoning was(and still is):

I have been arm-robbed at least a half-dozen times in my business lifetime, and have dealt with weapons on/in hand on other occasions. It is scary, dangerous and lives are at stake. Simply having a robber holding a weapon on a co-worker and/or myself is a life-changing experience at it's most fortunate.

I have never experienced another person pulling out a weapon to confront an armed robber, and hopefully never will. Rule pretty much everywhere is to co-operate with the robber by slowly doing what the robber demands without any resistance. Lives are worth FAR more than $$ and property. Get it over with as quickly and safely as possible.

I don't see how another person pulling out a weapon for confrontation would save anyone, and my worst nightmare scenario would have been to have an armed shoot-out take place in an open customer/employee populated space. The damage(un-controlled) could be more than catastrophic. Give up the $$ and end the situation as quickly and painlessly as possible.

Would allowing weapons on patrons deter robberies?
I don't know--I can't say that it would in most situations.

Other opinions?
Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 29 2014 at 2:47pm
So I guess that is your option as a business owner (or former one) to only allow the criminals to possess fire arms in your store. I do find it strange for the Middletown police to be passing out the no fire arms allowed stickers though seeing how the few times my family has had to call them in the past 30 years or so that they never seem to show up and if they do its a long time.I do agree with you that its not worth any ones life to stop a robber from taking a few dollars but if said robber has other intentions and decides to start shooting then YES I would take any and all means to protect my life as well as my family's. 
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 29 2014 at 3:04pm
Say the situation would have turned out differently. Say the person did not have a weapon to shoot the kid attempting to do armed robbery for shoes. Say the kid would have gotten away with it.

Isn't there a chance that the kid might have thought how easy it was to get what he wanted simply by waving a gun in someone's face, and kept repeating this many times? IMO, there needs to be a deterrent to counteract bad, sometimes life threatening behavior. The deterrent is the CC gun holder for the instant remedy at the time. Can't wait to call 911 and wait for a cop when a gun is in your face.

As in today's soft school environment, the deterrent has been removed (corporal punishment in the schools case), and the acts go unpunished. The problem student has no respect for the system and it becomes a joke to them. Same with the criminal who has no respect for law and order. Death Row and prison time are the deterrents for them. We have just added another deterrent in the form of CC.

Your comment:

"Would allowing weapons on patrons deter robberies?"

Some criminals may be intimidated by this. Others probably don't care enough about their lives, are willing to roll the dice and take the risk on a continual basis, betting the victim doesn't have a weapon.

"I have never experienced another person pulling out a weapon to confront an armed robber, and hopefully never will. Rule pretty much everywhere is to co-operate with the robber by slowly doing what the robber demands without any resistance"

Yeah, I would give the the armed robber what he wanted (the shoes) with a gun pointed in my face, then, as he left and turned his back, follow him out to the parking lot with my CC. He wouldn't be expecting that now would he? I believe that to be fair. He put my life on the line.....now it's his turn. Just something about someone holding my life in their hands, especially with a weapon, that tells me I must get even. Guess that's called being a vigilante. An actual situation would be the decider.
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
bumper View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bumper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 29 2014 at 9:04pm
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 29 2014 at 9:24pm
Studies have shown repeatedly, unless one is a trained daily in rapid response, such as a police officer, in almost any situation where your life is on the line, you'll freeze, miss the target, and be killed.

I would never shop where a concealed weapon was allowed. Firstly, if one is put into situation where they confront an angry person, and they are angry, its easy to kill someone. I was in Birmingham Alabama a few years ago, when the woman got angry at another driver, ran her off the exit, and charged the driver. The driver carried a gun, and shot her a foot from the door. When confronted, there is a tendency to over react when armed. I used to live in PA years ago in college, and had a few state troopers tell me how many truckers killed individuals over road rage, when they'd be trailed, a mad driver ran up to truck cab. Trucker reaches back, pulls out a shotgun, kills road raged driver, and gets life for second degree murder.

Stray bullets are bad. Hate to be in a store when wild bullets go through air, hitting innocent by-standers,

That's my opinion.

'An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.' - Winston Churchill
Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 30 2014 at 2:58am
Acclaro are these studies just studies you speak of or actual incidents? There seems to be several incidents lately of "untrained" citizens defending their lives against criminals quite well actually. Can any one here say that if their were armed and trained teachers and or personnel at the Sandy Hook school that December day that their would not have been lives saved? My Grandson won't start school for 3 or 4 years but if you ask me if I would like to see some armed employees (teachers, janitors, administrators etc..) that are competent with their weapons at the schools then I for one would feel at a little more at ease. I know this is an emotional issue and I understand the other view point, Its just my opinion that the only way to stop a criminal with a gun is a good guy with a gun. 

bumper View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bumper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 30 2014 at 7:56am
there is many of ccw lic holders that are very deadly serious when carrying just like the man at the mall that was Concealed  when he had a gun in his face! the bad boy was not ready for what was getting ready to happen, many who carry not only do the class to get the lic we also take defensive carry classes, i will be taking another very soon with 5 of my buds, lol  really do need to stay fresh and we target shoot alot because its just fun to me also have the glock 42 380 cal sweet shooting!! it is for real when carrying and of what might happen when you walk out the door! i also walk 5 to 8 miles a day to stay in shape, the city i live in now is way more safe to do the walking i do, i have had a real big bull looking dog come a hair from ripping off my leg, i drew on it and was doing a whole lot of yelling at it to keep it away from me, with cell in other hand calling the PD, i have them on fast dial!Smile lucky i was able to back away from it, then the owners opened their door and called their dog back, the cops came and the dog warden came and took the dog because this was not the first time these people let this dog out and came after other people, i was told i would have to let the monster head bite me before i could legally shoot the stinking thing!!   the thing is i did not expect a monster type dog to come after me that day! and it had me shaking, i was in the street with gun out trying to back up too the other side of the road with the dog charging and to get in the grass cause i had my 45 on me and thinking i could miss or shoot it  and it going thru the stinking dog and bouncing off the blacktop  and kill someone in their home so i did not fire because also common sense told me not to!!   just because i carry i sure hope to god i never have to draw on anybody or thing and have to pull that trigger!!  but if i have to i am going to try my best to come out on top!       
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 30 2014 at 1:23pm
bo and vet--was only considering robbery

of course I was barring bad people from bringing in weapons also. no one ever showed a weapon(ccw or otherwise) and I never asked. I assume many weapons were brought in to my businesses. quietly concealed--no issue--just doing what was best for business, co-workers and patrons

as for a crazy shooter coming in to kill someone/everyone?
prayed every day for it not to happen. no hostage situations ever--thank goodness. who knows how that would play out if a ccw patron became involved--could go any way

though I had a drugged suicidal employee bring a gun to work, contemplating killing his ex-wife(also co-worker) and himself. talked him into coming in to the office with me--told adjacent bookkeeper to lock door and notify police if she heard or saw anything dangerous(lol).
Talked the guy out of it, the told him that I had to terminate him. That he had to leave quietly immediately and promise to never come back + seek help and lose the weapon. In return I promised not to call police(and I didn't). Nothing worse ever came of it, thank goodness.

I could go on about robberies, weapon issues, bomb threats, arson etc.
if you all only knew.....

sometimes you have to forget about the vigilante gunslinger approach and best to be hopefully protector of the flock

jmo of course
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 31 2014 at 12:03am
I want to thank sj for his commitment to the store(s) over many years. One can only imagine what he confronted in the situations briefly described. I have a friend whom is a Regional VP of Costco and I could not believe the perishment from thieves in Costco, and members trying to take items to the point hidden shoppers disguised as members daily, when executive memberships run about 120 a year. I have been in Krogers when women have been arrested for stuffing pork chops down their jacket. I have driven down Vine Street visiting UC in Clifton, and praying I wasn't shot or hit by a stray bullet.

The city is dangerous, and high risk poker for a retailer. I'd pack it in instead of dealing with the headaches and serious risk to potential bodily harm  At some point, and soon, the risk in living in the city outweighs the benefit, if there is one.
'An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.' - Winston Churchill
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 31 2014 at 1:10am
honestly I was a lucky one, acclaro
many could tell of FAR worse, and did it for a LOT less
just glad not to be involved with any type disaster that we read about so often any more

people scare me a lot more than guns, though in the wrong hand, it can be a tragic combination
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 31 2014 at 4:03am
Oh and Spidejohn didn't include all the bad checks and stolen Food Stamp Card that he had to deal with...
And people just can't understand why it is so difficult for a small business owner to operate.

SpiderI would like to Thank You also for feeding me for so many years...I sure do miss your Fried Chicken and your friendly smile.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic