Print Page | Close Window

Thieves steal bike from child with disability

Printed From: MiddletownUSA.com
Category: Outside World
Forum Name: News, Info and Happenings outside Middletown
Forum Description: It might be happening outside Middletown, but it affects us here at home.
URL: http://www.middletownusa.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3552
Printed Date: Apr 28 2024 at 3:33am

Topic: Thieves steal bike from child with disability
Posted By: Bocephus
Subject: Thieves steal bike from child with disability
Date Posted: Dec 22 2010 at 4:19pm
This is sad.

Thieves steal bike from child with disability

By Jessica Heffner, Staff Writer 3:18 PM Wednesday, December 22, 2010

MIDDLETOWN — It may have just been a bike theft, but to the Brewer family the thieves who recently took the cycle from their garage may prove to be the Grinches who stole Christmas.

The bike was the only item 16-year-old Cody Brewer got for Christmas last year. The custom-made red tricycle with heavy black Mag wheels cost single mom, Karla Brewer, almost $600 but was worth every penny. Cody has cerebral palsy and cannot walk long distances. But on his bike he could go anywhere.

“It’s the only way he could get around,” she said. “Everybody knows him as the kid on the three wheel bike.”

Karla Brewer had the Mag wheels put on the bike because Cody leans heavily to one side due to his disability. She had the brakes specially fashioned so he only had to use his left hand to stop because he cannot use his right hand. The bike gave Cody the freedom to get around without a wheelchair.

Last Saturday, Karla Brewer woke up to find the lock busted off her garage and the doors hanging wide open. Gone was Cody’s special red bike, along with his brother’s maroon Schwinn chopper-style bicycle and a pack of cigarettes from her van.

Tracks in the snow led through the Brewer’s backyard onto the road to a church on Tytus Avenue. From there the trail ran cold. The family has filed a police report and talked to neighbors about the theft, but so far there have been no leads.

Karla Brewer hasn’t been able to tell Cody about the theft. Prone to seizures, she is afraid of what the news may do to his health — and his heart.

“I was very upset because the only thing he can do is ride that bike,” she said while fighting back tears. “That is the one special thing he had for Christmas. He loves that bike.”

Even though the bike is expensive, Cody’s grandmother, Korky Lawson, said what it meant to the child is what makes it so valuable.

“I wouldn’t even call the thieves Americans. That is just so unAmerican,” Lawson said. “How can you do that to a crippled kid?”

“He is so sweet and talks to everyone. He doesn’t know what a stranger is,” she added.

Karla Brewer said she is hoping the bike is returned intact “and not in pieces.”

Anyone with information is asked to call Middletown police at (513) 425-7700.

Contact this reporter at (513) 705-2843 or jheffner@coxohio.com.

http://www.middletownjournal.com/news/middletown-news/thieves-steal-bike-from-child-with-disability-1036137.html - http://www.middletownjournal.com/news/middletown-news/thieves-steal-bike-from-child-with-disability-1036137.html  

Replies:
Posted By: randy
Date Posted: Dec 22 2010 at 4:52pm
WTF!!!! OK MUSA we gotta fix this!! Who will help me ??

-------------
Call me for a www.CameraSecurityNow.com" rel="nofollow - www.CameraSecurityNow.com quote 513-422-1907 x357

Date Posted: Dec 22 2010 at 5:57pm
Ok you bunch of Grinch's, it is time to step up and show some holiday spirit. This story is horrible. I have been in the past to play Santa, but this year I am asking for help from MUSA readers and people that think this is just an awful thing for this child.

I am in the process of contacting the the mother to see just what kind of bike this was and where can one be purchased. If the cost holds true to the store in the paper. Then we would be looking at $600, that is $6 from 100 people.

Is anyone out there willing to step up and help me here??

-------------
Call me for a www.CameraSecurityNow.com" rel="nofollow - www.CameraSecurityNow.com quote 513-422-1907 x357

Posted By: Paul Nagy
Date Posted: Dec 22 2010 at 6:00pm
Randy,
        Will you take credit cards?
           pn

Posted By: firewater
Date Posted: Dec 22 2010 at 6:16pm

I just can't undrestand how someone could do something like this to a child of any kind. It makes me so mad!!!Angry 

Count me in and we need to get his brother a bike too.

"MUSA Santa" Randy, how can we help?Big%20smile

Posted By: VietVet
Date Posted: Dec 22 2010 at 6:24pm
I have the 6 bucks Randy. Got a few bucks if you need it for the brother too. Where and when do you need it?

Date Posted: Dec 22 2010 at 6:49pm
Alright guys hers the deal, i just spoke with Karla ( very nice) the cost of the bike is $600 and was made custom by a shop in Mason ( I am going to call them in a few)

Here is what I would like to do, If you have cash and want to donate it call me on my cell phone 513-594-9026 and I will come meet you write you a receipt or you can stop by my office tomorrow, we are closed Friday but back in on Monday. The office is 6730 Roosevelt Ave, the big white building nest to Lone Star. We are on the first floor.

If you wanna donate using a credit or debit card call me in my office Monday morning and we can do that too. Office number is 513-422-1907x357.

Vet, thank you. Give me a call.

Again this story is pretty sad and we should all step up to do something about it . I am not looking for $6

I am looking for any amount you can afford, if it is $1 that helps.

As for the other bike that was taken I will ask about it.

-------------

Posted By: Pacman
Date Posted: Dec 22 2010 at 6:53pm
Randy I will kick in $200.00 if you want to come by and pick it up at work.

Date Posted: Dec 22 2010 at 6:59pm
Thanks Pac I will stop by.

-------------

Posted By: firewater
Date Posted: Dec 22 2010 at 7:09pm
Pca Man ClapClapClap That is awesome!!!!!!
In fact all the MUSA readers are. I am so proud of all of you.Approve
I will give what we can. Randy you know how to get a hold of me. My family loves to help others in need, and are willing to do what ever we can.

Posted By: 409
Date Posted: Dec 22 2010 at 7:13pm
Randy....count me in.....I'll stop by your office.

Posted By: Vivian Moon
Date Posted: Dec 22 2010 at 8:14pm
Randy
Count me in also
I will drop it off to you tomorrow

Posted By: tomahawk35
Date Posted: Dec 22 2010 at 9:35pm
Originally posted by randy randy wrote:

Randy, put me down for $50. How do you want to collect this? Just let me know

Date Posted: Dec 22 2010 at 9:38pm
Originally posted by tomahawk35 tomahawk35 wrote:

Hell it's Christmas, put me down for $100, What is the latest time you will be at your office.

Posted By: Bocephus
Date Posted: Dec 22 2010 at 9:55pm
Wow this is pretty awsum.

Randy I know where your office building is and my family would like to contribute just tell me who to ask for so I can leave the cash with the right person tomorrow.

And Thanks all for getting this done.

Date Posted: Dec 22 2010 at 10:57pm
Anyone that wants to drop off donations tomorrow can do so. I wont be in the office, but when you walk in ask for Adam Lewis ( thats my younger brother) he will help you out.

I really do want to thank everyone for the support here. I dont care what anyone says about MUSA and it's readers. We are what makes this town great. Merry Christmas all.  Clap

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 22 2010 at 11:00pm

Hell it's Christmas, put me down for $100, What is the latest time you will be at your office.

I wont be in tomorrow but my younger brother Adam will be there. If you wanna wait till Monday I work 9:00 am till 8pm stop by any time.  

-------------

Posted By: Bobbie
Date Posted: Dec 23 2010 at 8:50am
Randy - I work out of town all day - I will call you on Monday. 

Posted By: Terry Wills
Date Posted: Dec 23 2010 at 11:12am
OK Randy. You have my donation. Gave it to Adam this morning. Nice idea on your part.

Posted By: arwendt
Date Posted: Dec 23 2010 at 11:27am
Just a quick thank you to all who have stopped in this morning to donate!

Merry Christmas to all of you and all of our readers!

-------------
“Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.” Benjamin Franklin - More at my http://wordsoffreedom.wordpress.com/ - Words of Freedom website.

Posted By: John Beagle
Date Posted: Dec 23 2010 at 11:37am
Randy count me in too. Nice work with the community!

This isn't the first time Randy got involved. I remember last year

http://www.middletownusa.com/view_news.asp?a=4813%20 - MiddletownUSA.com's Randy Lewis Helps Girls Christmas Wish Come True

-------------
http://www.johnbeagle.com/" rel="nofollow - John Beagle

Middletown USA

News of, for and by the people of Middletown, Ohio.

Posted By: graymatta
Date Posted: Dec 23 2010 at 11:52am
I saw this article on Twitter,

It was Tweeted by Andy Wednt...I think this is a HORRIBLE travesty to happen at Christmas time. I would like to Donate, but I'm in DC. What can be done?

Luke 17:2 It would be better to be thrown into the sea with a millstone hung around your neck than to cause one of these little ones to fall into sin

I know it's not completely accurate in this situation, but it's how I felt reading this story.

Posted By: arwendt
Date Posted: Dec 23 2010 at 12:15pm
GrayMatta,

Thanks for your twitter reply and your post.. and most of all thanks for your desire to help.

Anyone wishing to donate could simply send a check to:

MiddletownUSA C/O Brewer Bike
6730 Roosevelt Ave
Franklin, Ohio 45005

Simply make the check out to Xponex Media and in the memo line write MiddletownUSA C/O Brewer Bike.

If anyone has any questions give me a call or an email at any time.

Thanks!
Andy Wendt
Xponex Media
513-422-1907 x226
andy@xponex.com

-------------
“Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.” Benjamin Franklin - More at my http://wordsoffreedom.wordpress.com/ - Words of Freedom website.

Posted By: graymatta
Date Posted: Dec 23 2010 at 12:29pm
Thanks, will do

Date Posted: Dec 23 2010 at 12:59pm
Now that we see Randall Sue get involved with good deeds within the community, we need to find him a real football team to support. How can someone be so compassionate on things like this and be so misguided on choosing a decent football team? Defies logic.

Posted By: 409
Date Posted: Dec 23 2010 at 1:51pm
From the MJ:

Residents step up to help disabled teen whose bike was stolen

By Jessica Heffner, Staff Writer Updated 11:18 AM Thursday, December 23, 2010

MIDDLETOWN — After a local teenager with cerebral palsy had his custom-made bike stolen, Middletown residents have rallied to replace the cycle.

On Saturday, thieves broke into a garage on Bryant Street and stole a custom-made bike belonging to 16-year-old Cody Brewer. The teen has cerebral palsy and is unable to walk long distances or use his right arm. The red tricycle with heavy black mag wheels cost Cody’s single mom, Karla Brewer, almost $600, but was “the only way he could get around,” Karla Brewer said.

Because of the boy’s health issues, his mother has not told him the bike was stolen and was hoping it would be returned or replaced before he found out. Karla Brewer filed a police report, but there have been no leads on the stolen bike.

Since Wednesday — when The Journal http://www.middletownjournal.com/news/middletown-news/thieves-steal-bike-fro%20m-teenager-with-disability-1036137.html - published a story about the theft — dozens of residents have called and e-mailed offering to help the Brewer family replace the bike.

Karla Brewer said she is meeting with Middletown resident Randy Lewis today to drive down to Mason and order a new bike for Cody, as well as new bikes for her sons, Austin, 13, and Tyler, 11, who also had their bikes stolen from the garage. Another local businessman has also offered to fix her damaged garage and replace the lock free of charge.

“(The community is) great. They are awesome. This is the greatest thing in the world,” Karla Brewer said. “I never thought I would get so many calls especially around Christmas. There are so many people in need right now, not just me so this is great.”

Cody Brewer’s aunt, Becky Pennington, said the response from the community has been wonderful.

“This will do so much good for the family and for Cody. It is just great,” Pennington said.

Posted By: John Beagle
Date Posted: Dec 23 2010 at 3:14pm
I heard the Journal refused to mention that Randy works at MiddletownUSA.com.

Funny because the story is unfolding right now and many people have come here, to the MiddletownUSA building to drop off a donation. Fox 19 News was just here and did a video story with Randy at his desk.

I hope the Journal sees a way to cover the whole story, just like other area news outlets.

-------------
http://www.johnbeagle.com/" rel="nofollow - John Beagle

Middletown USA

News of, for and by the people of Middletown, Ohio.

Date Posted: Dec 23 2010 at 3:18pm
That's typical MJ leave out half the story, nothing new for them.. Heard local TV may have picked up on this and MiddletownUSA may get a mention there.

Posted By: Richard Saunders
Date Posted: Dec 23 2010 at 4:06pm
Originally posted by 409 409 wrote:

From the MJ:

Residents step up to help disabled teen whose bike was stolen

By Jessica Heffner, Staff Writer Updated 11:18 AM Thursday, December 23, 2010

MIDDLETOWN

Since Wednesday — when The Journal http://www.middletownjournal.com/news/middletown-news/thieves-steal-bike-fro%20m-teenager-with-disability-1036137.html - published a story about the theft — dozens of residents have called and e-mailed offering to help the Brewer family replace the bike.
Goodness gracious! Ben Franklin must be rolling over in his grave!  Does "that poor excuse for a newspaper" (I refuse to type its name) have no shame?

Shouldn't that line of the story read:  "Since Wednesday —when MiddletownUSA posted a story on their web forum about the theft — dozens of MiddletownUSA's regular users have called and e-mailed offering to help the Brewer family replace the bike."

That poor excuse for a newspaper's story was obviously in error and grossly misleading, and a retraction is in order!

Posted By: FmrMidE
Date Posted: Dec 23 2010 at 4:09pm
Ok,ok-so the city of Monroe blackballs y'all and The Voice and Middletown city officials have labeled MUSA as pariahs-that's one thing. But to knowingly refuse to acknowledge the source of a good deed is just plain crappy-regradless of the reasons. Having a long standing relationship with your forums I know the good and bad side of things that can evolve from them but I have always felt that they do a helluva' lot more good than evil (sometimes despite my best efforts..) So screw the MJ-everyone involved in this effort is on Santa's GOOD list!
Merry Christmas to all!
FmrMidE/ClarkWestern1

Posted By: Richard Saunders
Date Posted: Dec 23 2010 at 4:44pm

There once was a newspaper called a journal,

Reporting both by day and nocturnal.

They’re a news source no more…

Now just an eyesore.

Inaccurate, ungrammatical, infernal!

Date Posted: Dec 23 2010 at 5:29pm
And now, let's hear from a blue-collar, unrefined poet, much different than Richard Saunder's eloquent prose.....

The Middletown Journal,
Is in bed with the city.
The people get no truth,
Now ain't that a pity.

They print what they're told,
They've sold out for sure.
The grammar and spelling,
There ain't no cure.

They're bought and paid for,
They're bias is pure.
With the loss of subscriptions,
How can they endure?

It's nice to be part of,
A forum that pesters.
The Journal and others,
The city court jesters.   

Posted By: bumper
Date Posted: Dec 23 2010 at 6:38pm
wtg MUSA!! and randy Clap just saw 19newsClap the real news sourse along with MUSAClap all you will get from the MJ is a  Ouch and increased rates LOL 

Posted By: bumper
Date Posted: Dec 23 2010 at 6:40pm
oooops ( source)LOL

Date Posted: Dec 23 2010 at 7:53pm

Thieves steal special needs bike; community works to replace it

Posted: wnRenderDate('Thursday, December 23, 2010 6:59 PM EST', '', true); Dec 23, 2010 6:59 PM EST Updated: wnRenderDate('Thursday, December 23, 2010 7:47 PM EST', '', true); Dec 23, 2010 7:47 PM EST
http://WXIX.images.worldnow.com/images/13735745_BG1.jpg -  
By Tiffany Teasley

MIDDLETOWN, OH (FOX19) - Just days before Christmas thieves steal three bikes from a Middletown home, including a custom made bike, built for a teen with special needs.

"Wheeled them right through there, all three of them," said Corky Lawson as she pointed out the footprints still fresh in the snow where she says thieves wheeled her grandson's bicycle away. 

She says they busted the lock on her daughter's garage and stole all  three bikes inside. 

"I was pretty mad," said Austin Brewer, who's biked was stolen.

Austin and Tyler are even more upset about their brother Cody's bike being stolen.

"He can't just walk up and down the street to visit the neighbor and stuff, so he rides his bike," Lawson said.

Cody has Cerebral Palsy and often has to use a wheelchair, he can also have sudden seizures which is why the family hasn't told him about the theft. The $600 bike built especially for him, now in the hands of thieves.

"It's sickening," Lawson said.

But, the community is helping Cody and his brothers get back on their bikes. Randy Lewis heard about the story and posted on his website MiddletownUSA.com, and within hours the donations came pouring in.

"Right now we have close to $500, we really need to do something about this, it's Christmas, we wish that we could get the bike today," Lewis said.

The custom bike won't be finished in time for Christmas, but the boys say so long as they can push the pedals a late present will do.

"I think it's pretty cool," Brewer said.

"It's unbelievable, I thank everyone," Lawson said.

The community support comes right on time, today is Cody's 17th birthday.

Date Posted: Dec 23 2010 at 8:33pm
Originally posted by Pacman Pacman wrote:

Thieves steal special needs bike; community works to replace it

Posted: wnRenderDate('Thursday, December 23, 2010 6:59 PM EST', '', true); Dec 23, 2010 6:59 PM EST Updated: wnRenderDate('Thursday, December 23, 2010 7:47 PM EST', '', true); Dec 23, 2010 7:47 PM EST
http://WXIX.images.worldnow.com/images/13735745_BG1.jpg -  
By Tiffany Teasley

MIDDLETOWN, OH (FOX19) - Just days before Christmas thieves steal three bikes from a Middletown home, including a custom made bike, built for a teen with special needs.

"Wheeled them right through there, all three of them," said Corky Lawson as she pointed out the footprints still fresh in the snow where she says thieves wheeled her grandson's bicycle away. 

She says they busted the lock on her daughter's garage and stole all  three bikes inside. 

"I was pretty mad," said Austin Brewer, who's biked was stolen.

Austin and Tyler are even more upset about their brother Cody's bike being stolen.

"He can't just walk up and down the street to visit the neighbor and stuff, so he rides his bike," Lawson said.

Cody has Cerebral Palsy and often has to use a wheelchair, he can also have sudden seizures which is why the family hasn't told him about the theft. The $600 bike built especially for him, now in the hands of thieves.

"It's sickening," Lawson said.

But, the community is helping Cody and his brothers get back on their bikes. Randy Lewis heard about the story and posted on his website MiddletownUSA.com, and within hours the donations came pouring in.

"Right now we have close to $500, we really need to do something about this, it's Christmas, we wish that we could get the bike today," Lewis said.

The custom bike won't be finished in time for Christmas, but the boys say so long as they can push the pedals a late present will do.

"I think it's pretty cool," Brewer said.

"It's unbelievable, I thank everyone," Lawson said.

The community support comes right on time, today is Cody's 17th birthday.

Date Posted: Dec 23 2010 at 8:35pm
Merry Christmas and Happy Birthday Cody.Hug

Date Posted: Dec 23 2010 at 10:17pm
I just want to thank everyone that came in to the office today, sorry I wasn't there to meet you in person. I also want to thank everyone that called me and gave money to help with this great cause. MUSA and it's readers are the best the city has to offer. To all those that are sending checks Thank You.

I did meet with Fox 19 reporter Tiffany this afternoon here is the link to that story and news clip http://www.fox19.com/Global/story.asp?S=13735745 - http://www.fox19.com/Global/story.asp?S=13735745

This whole thing has been wonderfuly....Thank you everyone. Expect the Journal Big%20smile

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 01 2011 at 11:53am
Sad. but true commentary from the Journal and Heffner concerning this incident. Not a mention as to what Randy did for the boys.

From the Journal's editorial section.....

"True Christmas spirit was felt throughout area"

"Hours after staff writer Jessica Heffner’s story appeared online about a Middletown family that needed a stolen custom tricycle made for a special-needs teenager replaced, residents jumped in to help.
Thieves broke into a garage on Bryant Street and stole the bike that belonged to Cody Brewer, 16, who has cerebral palsy and is unable to walk long distances or use his right arm.
Dozens of residents called and e-mailed offers of help to the Brewer family to replace the bike. Karla Brewer said her phone “blew up” with calls from people as far away as Boston.
The boy’s bike, plus the bikes that belonged to Cody’s brothers, 13-year-old Austin and 11-year-old Tyler, are all scheduled to be replaced".

The Journal....a shell of what it use to be.

Print Page | Close Window