FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rusty Gutters

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
here&now View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote here&now Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rusty Gutters
    Posted: Mar 26 2009 at 12:11pm
I came home from work yesterday and had a letter from the City of Middletown and The US Department of Housing and urban Development (HUD) waiting for me. In short it said that my gutters were rusty and need to be replaced or I could face city code enforcement. After looking up the "code" I found that this means the if not done in 30 days the city will replace them for me and send the bill. Are my gutters rusty? sure they are, there gutters and they tend to get that way. Did I need to the City to tell me this?No I did not! So after calling the number given, and asking for someone to come out and tell me why this is such a problem for Middletown (No one came). I decided drive around town taking pictures of what I thought  were bigger issues that "they" should be concerned with. And believe me when I say I could have drove all day.

My point is this: In a time when people are struggling to keep their jobs and their houses it behooves me to think that I  must now go spend money that I don't have to replace what wasn't bothering me in the first place. Instead for being concerned with all the boarded up houses in town and the failing businesses, It's my gutters that are a problem for the City.

Click here if you would like to see pics of my outrageous gutters and here for the other pictures I took yesterday.

Click here for large image
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2009 at 12:36pm
here&now- Work computer system won't allow me to look at your pictures.Given that, there are two ways to decifer this. Are the gutters actually rusted through and leaking water OR- gutters are discolored with a rust color and need to be painted ,not replaced??? If only rust colored, a few hours on a ladder and a gallon of paint should satisfy the requirement and be a cheap fix. However, rust color may bleed through. Hope it's not a total replacement for you. Will try to look at your pictures on the home computer with no filters after work.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2009 at 12:41pm
This is a joke from a city whose infrastructure is crumbling, has more brownfields and abandonded buildings than New Orleans after Katrina and they are going to start this.  Trying to get the city to fix anything is a like pulling teeth....."we don't have the money" they continually say.Thumbs%20Down

Time to storm City Council with several 100 or even better several 1000 and demand some answers and action.
When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.

Thomas Jefferson
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2009 at 12:49pm
Here&now:
Is it possible that you have upset someone at City Hall recently??

Just a thought...don't know why it crossed my mind.
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2009 at 1:09pm
If that is the case Mike look out, they will probably bring the whole inspection Dept. to your home. Big%20smile 
When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.

Thomas Jefferson
Bwood View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2009 at 1:11pm
Didn't Middletown just get some money for housing renovations? Maybe you are eligible to get them replaced with that money.

Community Development Block Grant (CDBG)
The City of Middletown, as an entitlement community, receives an allocation of CDBG funds each year. The City's program year runs from May 1 to April 30. Each year the city must submit to HUD a plan for the use of these funds. Current projects include:

Emergency Home Repair - This program is intended to provide minor home repair grants to low income homeowners of Middletown. Eligible repairs are those which pose an immediate or crucial threat to the health and safety of the household. Such repairs include:

• Structural Issues
  • Roof Repair/Replacement
  • Furnace Replacement
  • Electrical Improvements
  • Plumbing Improvements
  • Water Heaters

For more information, please contact Kyle Fuchs at (513) 425-7950.

Looking for news or information on display technology? If so Visit the Monitor Blog
here&now View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote here&now Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2009 at 2:10pm
VietVet- The gutters are just rusted, not leaking or falling off and  some paint is enough to fix the problem. I just thought it was funny that this is  what our City has to worry about. I do plan on painting them this weekend, but is not how I wanted to spend my days off.
I do hope you can check out the pictures, I believe you'll get a kick out of the things I saw.

Mike- I did not upset anyone at City Hall but it was the first thing I thought of as well.  Big%20smile
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2009 at 2:19pm
Pacman- Let me know when you have this planned and you can count me in. I have a few questions I would like to see if they can answer.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2009 at 5:35pm
Originally posted by Pacman Pacman wrote:

If that is the case Mike look out, they will probably bring the whole inspection Dept. to your home. Big%20smile 
LOL LOL  Bring 'em on!!  They'll have to deal with my wife--she does all of the maintenance here!! 
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2009 at 5:38pm
Originally posted by Pacman Pacman wrote:

Time to storm City Council with several 100 or even better several 1000 and demand some answers and action.
Count me in!!

Ooops...wait...how fast must one be able to move to be qualified to "STORM"??? LOL LOL
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2009 at 6:14pm
Mike for you we will make it a Hurricaine you know one of those Florida ones that just slowly moves up the coast over a few days.  Ah I don't miss those suckers.

But truthfully the only way to get some answers at a council meeting would be for a large, very large group to show up.  Citizens comments, I think Council just sits their and day dreams now and says next...........

Need a few good speakers and lots of backup.Big%20smile

Thomas Jefferson
MadisonMom View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadisonMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2009 at 6:48pm
So...would a City employee actually fix the gutters...OR...would they hire a business inside/outside the City to fix your gutters.....

I truly don't understand unless your house if falling apart.
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2009 at 6:48pm

I will be speaking at the next City Council Meeting April 7, 2009.

here&now View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote here&now Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2009 at 7:05pm

MadisonMom- That is a very good question you asked and to answer you. No the house is in really good shape, are there things I would like to improve upon? Of course but what home owner doesn't have things they would like to do to there house?

MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2009 at 7:12pm
Originally posted by Vivian Moon Vivian Moon wrote:

I will be speaking at the next City Council Meeting April 7, 2009.

Ms. Moon:
Are the gutters rusty on the vault in Pioneer Cemetery???  Perhaps we should send an appropriately edited version of Mr. Tuttle's letter to the City!!!
Impala SS View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Impala SS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2009 at 7:43pm
So are we going to storm city hall council meeting on April 7, 2009? If so count me in also, we need to tell them to wash the windows on second floor. You can barely see through them check em out.
tomahawk35 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomahawk35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2009 at 9:38pm
Count me in as a backup, you don't me to speak because of my short temper when I speak to morons.
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 27 2009 at 3:10pm
hey--at least two of my co-workers recieved the same letter, so there are probably a lot of these notices out there. I wouldn't worry about it.

HEY CITY PEOPLE:
Times are tough, and families living in these homes being scrutinized hardly have the funding for major home repairs, UNLESS y'all are ready to start using the HUD,CDBG and other grant funding towards those who need it, INSTEAD of down S.Main St. on the old mansions.

Why not start by visiting citizens to first encourage cleaning off their front porches,front yards,back yards and alleys? These efforts would only require a sincere effort and would cost next to nothing. Plus it would dramatically improve the overall appearance of our community and maybe inspire neighborhoods to maintain a good look.

The city is going to need the citizens come November, and currently there isn't much sympathy/support for the municipals. If ya want to slam the door shut now, go right ahead! The yob u save may be yer own!
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 29 2009 at 10:33am

Mike Presta 

Ms. Moon

Are the gutters rusty on the vault in Pioneer Cemetery???  Perhaps we should send an appropriately edited version of Mr. Tuttle's letter to the City!!!

Hey Mike
I have a SPECIAL GIFT for Mr. Tuttle at the next Council Meeting.
The vault doesn't even have any gutters or downspouts anymore because they rusted away years ago. The VIOLATIONS on the vault at the cemetery could fill an entire page....but the City doesn't have the money because times are tough....REALLY!

However now the City is sending these letters to Senior citizens who can hardly pay their Duke bills and demanding they improve their properties...to young couples that have lost their jobs and living on unemployment and demanding they repair their properties....I'm afraid the the City has made a major mistake this time. I believe a Citizen's Revolt is about to occur.

Spider has the correct approach to this "Clean Up Project".

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 29 2009 at 12:04pm
If this is really important to the city that they are sending out letters to property owners, Ann Mort's group is taking ideas for their list to improve Middletown. Perhaps Mort needs to place these "rusty gutter" projects on her list as they present the types of problems that Mort and her group want corrected to improve the image of the town. Property owner buys the paint- Mort's group supplies the elbow grease if the property owners are unable to do so. Just a suggestion. How about a barter system where the owner gets this work done in exchange for donating some time to one of Mort's projects.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 29 2009 at 2:30pm
Gee I just wonder how many times the city has violated it's own ordinances and used the excuse we don't have the money to fix the problem, or is the City exempt from fixing any of the issues it is responsible for?

Thomas Jefferson
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 29 2009 at 3:39pm

Pacman
I have complained every spring over the past 6 years about several areas and businesses that needed to be cleaned up. I was told by the City that they really couldn't do much to enforce the law...Well it seems that was yet another lie that they told me...Or maybe it is just the poor, weak and old that the City likes to bully.

If they can force the homeowners to clean and repair their propety then you can also make a business owner clean up their property...If Mr. Tuttle needs any help  I have about 150 photographs that I'll be happy to share with him.
Hey I'm such a sweet little old lady that I'm even willing to do a "Show & Tell" at a Council Meeting.
here&now View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote here&now Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 30 2009 at 11:11am
So here is the latest on my gutter situation. I found a phone number to call about this "assistance" the city has for these repairs of my gutters and the countless other people that received letters like mine.  And the truth is there is not much "assistance at all. In fact a was told that I could fill out an application for a loan from the city at 3 percent and pay it back over 15 years. Now 3 percent is a great rate, I just found it funny that a city that is broke can loan me money at such a great rate.
I did ask for the application to be mailed to me,why not ? Wink

I would like to thank everyone for all the comments and if we are storming City Hall please let me know when.

retired co View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote retired co Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 31 2009 at 12:10pm
Being retired and somewhat disabled myself I can sympathize with a lot of these poor folks.  However why don't they get on these section 8 slum lords that folks are living in houses that should be condemned homes.
  I have complained about a rental with trash trees growing up all over the back yard the condition of the roof on the house and was told they can't make the landlord cut the trees or clean up the brush . The area is a breeding ground for mosquitos in the summer also we have opossums and racoons using the area. I try to maintain my place as best as I can but I have had to hire somethings done for the up keep. I know of 2 instances of where an elderly lady had a notice sent to her about her privacy fence being replaced because rentals next door have destroyed it. I also know of a woman who has to paint the dormers windows in her place which is nearly impossible to get to without a lift.
 While across the street from her are windows broken out yards look like rumpke mountain  junk cars sitting on the streets .  Same lady has to put a roof on a old garage
within 30 days and she has been told by her employer no pay raises in the next few years .
  SO if you live on a fixed income , you are laid off, lost a job, or can't expect any pay raises for a few years you get notices to fix it. Well Middletown where is the money they are going to get their money trees are bare. I believe that come election time some of the ones on council will be joining some of our less fortunate in the unemployment line.
  I'll say it for those less fortunate folks that are citizens of this armpit of a town. What part of we don't have the money for your demands don't you understand.

spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 31 2009 at 3:43pm
I read where 2300 of these letters have been mailed.

Wouldn't it be interesting if all 2300 contested the allegations and requested a court hearing? Mr.Adkins might be tied up for quite a while, also upsetting the criminal docket and prep.

Still--a united visit to the next Council session could be an option.

Would everyone be given an opportunity to speak, like during the Section 8 session?
Remember--these are citizens, not accused of any crime, and would be expressing their right to address their "accuser"(in this case the city).
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic