FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rusty Gutters

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rusty Gutters
    Posted: Apr 05 2009 at 5:47pm

After fighting with the City behind closed doors for over five years
I decided that it wasn’t the City that needed to change…IT WAS ME
So this time I have decided to make War on them in a public forum so all of
Middletown
will be able to see and hear their response.
It’s time for us to stand up before City Council and tell them what we really think.
Join me Tuesday night…fill the seats at City Hall and LET CHANGE BEGIN WITH US

Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 05 2009 at 4:37pm

Hahahaha my obsession.  Lets compare that to yours and the leaders of Middletown who can't even sit down look at the camera and say we have some serious issues to solve.  I am not obsessed with Middletowns problems, what I am obsessed with is that something be done about them.  Something more than "Middletown has a bright Future'.  Gee Spider I spent the day picking up 10 bags of leaves, twigs and gabage, can I get on the list to Forbes now.  My God you people can't see the forest for the trees.

Who is dissing this group?  I have not heard one person say that their cleanup effort is not admirable.  What people are saying is that they are doing it for the wrong reason, The Forbes article.  Or they don't agree with the tactics the city is using.  Or they are dissatisfied with the Leadership of the City. 

You say I am obsessed yet the Journal does repeated articles on the same issue "Pride In Action" over and over and over again and yet you think that is wonderful.  Just because some of us don't share the "Middletown has a Bright Future" because we do a cleanup that we should be doing anyways, without all of the hoopla.  I'll tell you what the Next time I cleanup around here I'll hire the High School band, which I enjoy listening to in the afternoon and evenings during their practices, to play the Middie School Song while I do it and call the Journal out for a Photo Op.Big%20smile
When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.

Thomas Jefferson
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 05 2009 at 3:13pm

pacman--I am not missing any of this.

Forbes article just caused this group to begin the spruce up effort. Doesn't even mention the problems that have become your obsession. We will be a cleaner city and will have hopefully formed new constructive friendships that lead to eventual political action groups. Melding different political ideologies while working side by side improving the appearance of the community could be a giant step forward. It is worth the effort.

Sitting here pounding on a keyboard doesn't seem to be accomplishing much. You have 755 posts here and have accomplished just what?

Are you in contact with your ward Councilperson about your concerns? The at-large Councilmembers? Have you editorialized in the MJ? Are you a regular speaker at Council meetings?

There is no one wearing blinders around here. Most are VERY aware of the problems and issues.

Middletown ELITE?
I don't know anyone around here feeling entitled or special right now.
PRIDE members are ELITE? LOL
Maybe you should put away your keyboard for a while and join up to do some work and interact with these people. Espouse your beliefs while working with them.

You hardly know what makes me happy or how I prioritize local concerns. I am simply not going to diss this group for doing what they are doing. I am grateful for their efforts.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 05 2009 at 1:44pm

Spider you seem to miss the whole point and are happy to let this group contact Forbes next year and present their list and have nothing accomplished other than picking up some garbage, which is fine.  But at the end of the day we will Still be Number 10 on the dying City list.

You are happy to let the little issues take the day while the larger issues are pushed to the back.  That is the thinking that has Middletown in the mess it is.  Knock yourself out.  Maybe I have found a new product to sell in my store, blinders for the Middletown Elite.

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.

Thomas Jefferson
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 05 2009 at 11:53am
Maybe y'all should quit trying to connect the Pride clean-up group with the political/economic mess in our city. They are not united--only in the minds of a few here.

Pacman--I hear your message(hourly/daily/weekly/monthly). This is obviously not a political group at this time, and the younger names mentioned are all sharp thinkers with minds of their own. They are hardly tied to the city thinking and dark sider stranglehold. You may not know much about them(your loss--do the research), but I am familiar with all of them to varying degrees. I have confidence in every one of them, but NO--they might not be in lock-step with YOUR thinking either. None of them(including Mort and Ashworth) have a f'n thing to do with Section 8 or rusty gutters(although Ms.Edwards works with the city manager I believe).

Vet---it's just a small hopefully positive beginning. I'll guarantee that you will get a better listen and understanding from these younger names. They have a lot of younger friends who think a lot more like us also. This old guard is firmly entrenched, and we won't take them out quickly or easily.
BUT WE WILL TAKE THEM OUT.
WE WILL FIND A WAY--AND IT WILL BE SUPPORTED BY A LARGE COMMUNITY MAJORITY.

Just let this group do THEIR thing, hopefully with your blessing and support. Why not spend a few days helping them and getting to know them? Then come back here to post your thoughts.

The govt./economic mess is bigger than all of us and the city leaders. A lot happening is not in our or their control. Let's just work on what we can. 
here&now View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote here&now Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 05 2009 at 11:20am
Today is such a beautiful  day that I think I will spend the afternoon painting my horrid gutters. So if you drive down the street and see a skinny guy on a ladder yelling at his wife to go back inside Big%20smile , please feel free to stop and have a beer.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 05 2009 at 10:54am

MadisonMom & Spider
I don’t have a problem with the concept of “Pride In Action”.
Middletown could use a good SCRUB DOWN. I do have a problem that it is the same people on every committee and that Ann & Sam are the only ones to get the glory.
I also have a real problem and many questions about the current “Building Code Enforcement” situation. Did they send out letters to business owners or just home owners? Why hasn’t the City been enforcing these laws over the years? Why did the City let
Middletown
get into such a run-down condition? Where has all this PRIDE been hiding? Why does the law only apply to the citizens and not the City? Many citizens have complained for years about these same problems and all were ignored.
Well…I’m tired of being ignored by the City. I have warned them for over 5 years that “I don’t play well with others”. Tuesday night the City Council will learn just what that statement really means.

MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 05 2009 at 10:41am

MadisonMom & Spider
I don’t have a problem with the concept of “Pride In Action”.
Middletown could use a good SCRUB DOWN. I do have a real problem and many questions about the current “Building Code Enforcement” situation. Did they send out letters to business owners or just home owners? Why hasn’t the City been enforcing these laws over the years? Why did the City let Middletown
get into such a run-down condition? Where has all this PRIDE been hiding? Why does the law only apply to the citizens and not the City? Many citizens have complained for years about these same problems and all were ignored.
Well…I’m tired of being ignored by the City. I have warned the City for over 5 years that “I don’t play well with others”. Tuesday night the City Council will learn just what that statement really means.

Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 05 2009 at 10:34am
The 4 people other than Mort and Ashworth on the Board were hand picked by Mort and Ashworth, prior to the first meeting the selection had been made, so you draw your own conclusions as to what influence Mort and Ashworth have with them.

Thomas Jefferson
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 05 2009 at 10:16am
Spider- I hope you're correct in your statement about the beginning of change in the old guard around here. We need it. I'm still not sure about how some new under 40 people on a community cleanup project might transition to the old guard change you mention, but if it happens, it might be a good thing. Probably can't be any worse than the we have running the town now. If they do take the step of running for office in the future, I hope they won't allow the current crew to influence their thinking. If they allow that, we won't be any better off in the future than we are now- just younger people, with closed minds, carrying on the same failed thinking of the current regime, oblivious to the wishes of the people.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 05 2009 at 9:58am
"Best thing they could do is quickly replace Ann & Sam as the figurehead leaders."

Spider, you can change the leadership, but if you don't change the message what is the sense?  If the younger crowd as they are called ignore the true issues, their actions become detrimental to the City as a whole.  It mis-leads the citizenry, it does not deal with our most pressing problems, it only does a dis-service to the community.

If "Pride In Action" is on a mission to clean up the City go for itClap, but do it with the right message and not with the pretense that Forbes is going to come to town and bless the City.

"No--these groups won't drastically alter the economic situations mentioned by packman,mike and Forbes, but it WILL make an overall improvement on our community."

I don't think anyone is disputing that it is good for the community, it is the message that is being used by the group that at least I find mis-leading and a distraction to the true issues.

As much as I hate to recommend another committee for a City over run by committees, this City needs a Committee which is not shackled by, who you are, who you know, what business you own, who you work for and will truly have the ear of The Council and City Administration at this time neither the City nor the Admin is prepared to face the true issues bringing Middletown down.  You need a true Citizens led group, made up of Citizens from all wards, businesses of all type big and small, no Council members, No city admin, no citizen employees to ry and steer the committee in the direction they want.

The City and Council seem to be in Distraction mode and content to mis-lead the Citizens and just go on as they have for the last 30 years, with little accomplishments to their names.

Thomas Jefferson
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 05 2009 at 7:14am

hey mad mom

KEEP MIDDLETOWN BEAUTIFUL has been around a long time and doeas a lot year round.
The current version, led by Mr.Michel, has been extremely active and picking up steam. This group actually gets the bodies together and physically does the work mostly through private donations.

The PRIDE group is mostly organizational. With the younger group leaders, it shows  long-term potential. Best thing they could do is quickly replace Ann & Sam as the figurehead leaders. The concept is encouraging(as you mention), and these younger names/faces are quality citizens with tremendous potential as future city leaders.

And in our current condition, we might as well step into the future now!!

No--these groups won't drastically alter the economic situations mentioned by packman,mike and Forbes, but it WILL make an overall improvement on our community. It will possibly also begin new political liasons among the younger volunteers to foster more openness and involvement of those differing concepts towards management of our city.

I see it as a good thing, and the beginning of a changing of the OLD guard around here.
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 05 2009 at 3:14am
Well said, Pacman.

And this latest Middletown Journal article seemed to somehow try to put Sam on the same level as George Verity!!!  How unkind and insensitive to Mr. Verity's descendents.

Ask anyone who knew Mr. Verity.  Sam Ashworth is no George Verity!!!

And just as with trying to get Middletown off the Forbes "fastest dying cities" list, wishing won't make it so!!!
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 05 2009 at 2:12am

MadisonMom I have no problem with them cleaning the whole state of Ohio if they like.  The problem comes in when Mort & Ashworth put out statements that they are going to show Forbes that Middletown is not dying and we are going to send them a list of all the tidying up we did and invite them to come to Middletown and see what a lovely job we did.   This has gone on and on and on since the Forbes article.

Now if they would stop using the Forbes article as the reason they are doing this when the Forbes article absolutely stated nothing about cleaning up and painting some fences, etc.

What it did list as the issues are:

"Forbes magazine declared Middletown one of the U.S.’s fastest dying towns Tuesday, ranking No. 10 in the nation.

According to Forbes, Middletown’s poverty level jumped from 12 percent in 2000 to 22 percent in 2007. The town’s median household income is only $37,000. Both were factors in the ranking.

Forbes also took into account the education level of a town’s residents. In Middletown, 12.2 percent of residents have a bachelor’s degree or better. Forbes listed education levels as one factor in a town’s financial well-being.

Forbes based its rankings on data compiled by the U.S. Census Bureau from 2005-2007."

Now no one from this group including Mort and Ashworth even acknowledges publicly that these are serious issues in Middletown.  They are hiding behind taking care of some medians and taking care of back alley's, which is fine but don't pretend that these were the issues that Forbes used to determine Middletown was number 10 on the dying list. 

The Journal runs article after article about Mort and Ashworth and not one time that I have read where they asked Mort and Ashworth about the real issues as listed in the article and why they don't speak out on these issues, which are the real issues surrounding Middletown's decline.  Not trash on a median strip on Roosevelt Blvd.

Mort and Ashworth's group get Journal coverage time after time that says the exact same thing.  Why isn't the Journal, covering more on Section 8, subsidized housing, Low Average income, Educational issues, The current high Poverty rate.  Just because the Council pounds their fists on a table and states it's not true and makes excuses for the problems means we shove them under a damn rug, and stick our heads in the sand.  Then we create a PR group to make it look like the issues with Forbes are as simple as making a long list of cleanup projects that we all should be doing anyways and invite Forbes to Town to see we are not dying.  If I was Forbes I would look at the leaders and tell them, "you have serious problems and you are trying to cover them up with some paint and garbage bags, good bye".

Please someone show us where Forbes listed cosmetics as an issue, even though Middletown could use a face lift in some areas, in Middletown when making their determination:

10. Middletown, Ohio

Situated between Dayton and Cincinnati, Middletown has declined in step with much of Greater Ohio. The town's median household income is $37,000, and its poverty level has jumped from 12% in 2000 to 22% in 2007. And it's not likely to get better anytime soon. With only 12.2% of residents possessing bachelor's degrees or better, the city isn't a prime candidate to attract highly skilled jobs that have lifted some other post-industrial cities.

Thomas Jefferson
MadisonMom View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadisonMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 04 2009 at 10:13pm
Originally posted by Vivian Moon Vivian Moon wrote:

<P =NormalWeb16 style=": white; MARGIN: 10pt 0in"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Comic Sans MS'; mso-bidi-font-family: Arial">April 4, 2009 Middletown Journal

”So Ashworth, along with longtime city advocate Ann Mort, and six committee members — all under the age of 40 — met and compiled a list of potential community projects.

</SPAN><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Comic Sans MS'; mso-bidi-font-family: Arial">    As of right now, Ashworth said there are 186 projects that are completed, in progress or on the drawing board. He said community members, along with nonprofits and business owners, have responded to the call.”

<P =NormalWeb16 style=": white; MARGIN: 10pt 0in"><?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p>Hmmm...On December 18, 2009 Sam Ashworth & Ann Mort announced their new project "Pride In Action"...and at the same time Mr. Tuttle of the City starts roaming the entire City looking for Building Code Violations. Maybe this group volunteered their time to help the City with these 2,500 violations.</o:p></SPAN>

I really don't understand why you guys have a problem with this. They are volunteers. What is wrong with cleaning up? Of course I know you'll say "that's not gonna fix the problem with City Council" etc.......... Who gives a crap at this point? They are not using tax payer money,,,,,I would think you'd be happy with that?
What is the different between Price In Action and Keep Middletown Beautiful? Who only seem to work a couple of months a year? Oh and by the way, receives grant money.
MadisonMom View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadisonMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 04 2009 at 10:07pm
Originally posted by wannaknow wannaknow wrote:

I wonder if they inspected the Riverside mobile home community on Rt. 4. They had a sting there a few years ago, police and health inspectors, and told the park to clean it up. The noise died down and it's worse than ever. Abandoned trailers for the homeless and drug users to hide in to do their drugs, hundreds of cats and dogs. It should be leveled.

A Trailer Park is considered 1 owner. I learned this from Ike blowing thru. Catalina had lots of damage
from the storm. They were without electricity (the longest in Madison Township, Butler County) BECAUSE they were considered 1 owner/1 resident.
Red Cross helped them out with ice, etc. The students of Madison were allowed to take showers at the schools if they needed.

Maybe that's where the problem lies? Landlords? I have noticed lots of empty trailers in the last month at Riverside.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 04 2009 at 4:56pm
Pride in Action

Co-Chairs Ann Mort and Sam Ashworth

Division Chairs
Chris Papakirk
Maria Langendorf
Jeff Michel
Marie Edwards

Thomas Jefferson
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 04 2009 at 8:50am

Now, now boys....you really need to show a little PRIDE in your City.
I’m sure the City will explain everything to us at the next Council Meeting April 7th,  After all… our City Manager
said “the Building Code Violation Enforcement” is for the good of the community…Yes Sir!...That’s what she said.

And don't you think we should ALL obey the Laws of our City and State?

Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 04 2009 at 8:19am
Maybe that is why we have only "POTENTIAL VIOLATIONS". Wink

Thomas Jefferson
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 04 2009 at 7:56am
It certainly would have been nice if the six "other committee members" would have had their names mentioned.  Even just a little bit of recognition would have been nice.
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 04 2009 at 7:41am

April 4, 2009 Middletown Journal

”So Ashworth, along with longtime city advocate Ann Mort, and six committee members — all under the age of 40 — met and compiled a list of potential community projects.
    As of right now, Ashworth said there are 186 projects that are completed, in progress or on the drawing board. He said community members, along with nonprofits and business owners, have responded to the call.”

Hmmm...On December 18, 2009 Sam Ashworth & Ann Mort announced their new project "Pride In Action"...and at the same time Mr. Tuttle of the City starts roaming the entire City looking for Building Code Violations. Maybe this group volunteered their time to help the City with these 2,500 violations.

wannaknow View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wannaknow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 02 2009 at 5:35am
I wonder if they inspected the Riverside mobile home community on Rt. 4. They had a sting there a few years ago, police and health inspectors, and told the park to clean it up. The noise died down and it's worse than ever. Abandoned trailers for the homeless and drug users to hide in to do their drugs, hundreds of cats and dogs. It should be leveled.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 02 2009 at 4:19am

Spider
I don’t think the entire City has been inspected. As you said most of the old buildings downtown have code violations.

Maybe at the next Council Meeting they will inform us of which wards or areas have been inspected and by whom.

MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 01 2009 at 6:15pm

Has anyone heard from that "alien" poster???

He seemed to know all about "Moving Middletown Forward", maybe he could help us out on this mystery, too.
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 01 2009 at 5:30pm
OK--envision our downtown area, with all of the new storefronts, and east up Central without the new storefronts.

Look above those new storefronts and up Central to notice all of the broken windows, broken window sills, destroyed roofing, brick work and GUTTERS.

I WONDER JUST HOW MANY OF THOSE BUILDING OWNERS WERE CITED?

Also--if 2300 notifications were issued, then we could assume that the entire city was inspected. Why else would the city send out so many letters if the job of inspecting the entire city had not been completed? Surely there wouldn't be other areas to be inspected later, would there?

So--how long did this take, and who actually did the work?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic