FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Questions And Answers With Daniel Picard

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Questions And Answers With Daniel Picard
    Posted: Jul 20 2009 at 8:25am
Fourth Ward Candidate Daniel Picard Answers Some Questions.

Tell us a little about yourself and what qualifies you to represent your ward?

I was born in Fort Kent, Maine on May 28, 1956 and I lived in northern Maine until I was a sophomore in High School when we moved to St. Mary's PA. We lived there until 1976 when our family moved to Middletown.  My father worked his entire life in the Paper industry and when we moved to Middletown he was named vice president of The Sorg Paper Company. I had started my college education at Mercyhurst College in Erie Pennsylvania and  I finished my last two years at Miami University with one year at MUM and my senior year in Oxford.   After graduating, I went on to the University of Dayton School of Law. 

View all his answers here  Questions And Answers With City Council Candidate Daniel Picard

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 20 2009 at 9:17am
Mr. Picard seems to provide some decent answers but again, would like to have heard a little more in-depth discussion on HOW he would like to accomplish his goals. We have heard the "WHAT he'd like to do" in these responses. On the surface, he sounds like a decent choice for the 4th Ward. One way to find out. Try him. If he turns out like the current crop, boot him after one term. Like the comments about helping small businesses, both new and established ones. Was especially pleased to hear his ideas of reducing Section 8. City doesn't need to be a welfare town. Hurts the town and the schools. Like to see Council put more pressure on the Econ Dev department for a more proactive effort on growing some kind of company location/ob creation in the city. Nothing happened of merit under Murphy and nothing is happening under the current Director's efforts (or lack of effort). This department has been a bust for several years now. Need to elect a strong Council, one that will put some pressure on the city manager and her friends to change oourse or be replaced. Clean house if there is resistance. We can no longer afford to be on the failed course that this city administrator has taken us.
2000+ View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2000+ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 20 2009 at 9:48am
I would like for Mr. Picard to tell us if he has any connections to Middletown Moving Forward or Moving Middletown Forward or whatever they are calling themselves this week...as in:

Were you recruited by MMF?
Has MMF contributed any monies to your campaign?

Of course, if he doesn't answer, we can always go to the Board of Elections and pull his campaign reports to see who the big money donors are...
danpicard View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danpicard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 20 2009 at 1:52pm
I do not know who or what Middletown Moving Forward or Moving Middletown Forward is.  The only time I have ever heard the name was during a meeting of the Charter Review Committee earlier this year.  Dan Picard
Dan Picard
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 20 2009 at 2:10pm
I liked his answers about downtown & the east side. I believe he is 100% correct about downtown,it should be preserved and declared historical because there is nothing else you can do with it,it's dead,so bury it.

Again he is on the button concerning the east side development. Thats where everything is headed whether anyone like it or not.
No more democrats no more republicans,vote Constitution Party !!
Solutionbased View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Solutionbased Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 23 2009 at 12:01am
Hello,
I'd very much like to speak with you or hear about how you plan to market the potential Mtown has to offer. I'm  originally from Mtown borned and breed. I came home for a visit and was shocked to see the condition of the city and the poor quality of life that rest there. I'm in Atlanta Ga and am in marketing strategist with expertise in internet marketing. I'd love to hear more about your plans and offer my services in any way possible. Mtown needs to be revitalized and the only way to do it is through jobs jobs and more jobs...
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 23 2009 at 5:14am
Originally posted by danpicard danpicard wrote:

I do not know who or what Middletown Moving Forward or Moving Middletown Forward is.  The only time I have ever heard the name was during a meeting of the Charter Review Committee earlier this year.  Dan Picard
Mr. Picard:
I am somewhat surprised at this statement.  Some of this city's (and surrounding cities') leading citizen's serve on the Board of ONE of these organizations.  It is a "Community Improvement Corporation" and lists several key City Hall notables along with the aforementioned citizens on the Board.  One might think that anyone running for City Council would at least have heard of it.
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
accuro View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote accuro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 23 2009 at 9:27am
Mr. Picard- you are opening a law practice in Monroe, and selling your home by the hospital. My questions is, why do you want this job? Visibility for new law office, influence on tax credits you referenced, and are you moving to Monroe? In summary, why do you want the job, instead of what are your qualifications. 
An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out. - Will Rogers
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 23 2009 at 10:15am
I echo Mike's comments.
Virtually everyone following the local political/economic adventure is familiar with the long-existing MMF organization. Since your involvement with many members on the Charter Review Committee, and you endorsed their written agenda verbatim concerning changing Council make-up.

It will be interesting to see your list of campaign contributors and the $$ raised. I would imagine many of the same names associated with MMF would be listed, even though you claim to know nothing about their existence.

If you sell your residence and move outside of the ward where you are hoping to represent, will you resign your Council position? Actiually, if you are planning to move to another area, why run for this particular ward position at all(especially since you don't support the ward system)? Granted--my ?ing is based on the mentioned statement that you have maketed your residence.

Thank you for coming here to participate in discussion, and all of the best to you. In no way do I doubt your intentions or qualifications/desire to serve our community.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 23 2009 at 10:38am
If he moves to Monroe or resides outside Ward 4, how can he still maintain a seat on Council, living in another city and how can he represent Ward 4 as a non-resident of the ward? Won't he be automatically removed from Council as being non-qualified by residency? Anyone? Even the side show committees have a residency requirement to be a legitimate member (although that has been abused if you check the zip codes by the names on the committee lists.)
danpicard View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danpicard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 23 2009 at 11:13am
I have been trying to sell my house since March with no luck.  If I do sell it, I will be buying a house in the Renaissance area next to Bishop Fenwick High School which is still in the 4th ward.

I have opend an law office in Monroe which has one employee.  I am still the part owner of a small business in Middletown which now has more than 15 employees.  Last  year at this time it had almost 100 employees.

Dan Picard
Dan Picard
here&now View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote here&now Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 23 2009 at 11:47am
Mr Picard, I would like to thank you for taking the time to come to this forum and answer questions from the bloggers  here. You have been the only one to do so  thus far. I did not see Mrs. Ford come on after her answers were posted here.
For that you are to be commended. I believe you will find that the people that contribute to the forum are very intelligent and only want what is best for a city.

I do have a question for you, how do you feel about the Keep Middletown Beautiful program?
I think they city "had" good intentions to start but have gotten out of hand and have bigger issues than worrying if my gutters are rusty or not. please view the links below to familiarize your self with the topic of Rusty Gutters   and  Rusty Gutters Are Back!!

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 23 2009 at 11:56am
I didn't realize that the 4th Ward went out to Fenwick. That's the Hunter area. Still part of Middletown out there? Thought Fenwick's address was listed as Franklin. Where's the cutoff out there? Anyone? Can't get to the ward map on this computer. Keeps blocking me for some reason. I second here & now's statement concerning your responses here. Your participation is appreciated.
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 23 2009 at 12:12pm
Originally posted by VietVet VietVet wrote:

I didn't realize that the 4th Ward went out to Fenwick. That's the Hunter area. Still part of Middletown out there? Thought Fenwick's address was listed as Franklin. Where's the cutoff out there? Anyone? Can't get to the ward map on this computer. Keeps blocking me for some reason. I second here & now's statement concerning your responses here. Your participation is appreciated.
This is about the best I could do for you. I hope to you can read it. The 4th ward is in pink

Ward%204%20Map%20
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 23 2009 at 4:42pm
Strange that Franklin would have jurisdictional authority over the area including the Atrium in law, but the Hunter area is within 4th Ward? Don't believe that is correct. Middletown gets payroll taxes from Atrium, Franklin gets property tax. If property taxes are going to Franklin, how on earth is the Hunter area near Fenwick in the 4th Ward? Don't think so, but moot anyway, Dan lives near the hospital.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic