FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Laubach feels Middletown is....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 04 2010 at 9:04am
Get rid of the obstructionists at City Hall and real investors might have a chance.  Throwing taxpayers' grandchildrens' money down the drain will get us NOWHERE!!!
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 04 2010 at 9:02am

Mr. Laubach:

My initial response to your comments is that as long as we have people such as Kohler and Robinette at City Hall doing all in their power to stifle all legitimate business that they deem as "too low class" for their tastes we will NEVER have any choices other than these government give-away type of sure losers!!!

If this was a legitimate opportunity, why wasn't anyone willing to try it risking their OWN money???  Simple answer???  They aren't FOOLS!!!
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
Jlaubach View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jlaubach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 04 2010 at 8:48am

MUSA,

I made last night’s comments for a reason. Given the situation, I feel it’s the best option to support this project do to the success of other Pendelton projects in other areas similiar to our downtown. We desperately need a presence of business and activity downtown. I believe without positive activity the downtown will further decline and attract more criminal activity. This situation is not desirable for Middletown and it cannot be left as is if there is any desire to stabilize and revive our city. I meant what I said and it’s my displeasure to hear the grief it may have caused some. As I stated last night, I have been conflicted about the project simply for the fact that it involves the spending of public money. However, I am no more pleased to have a piece of property sitting on the city's hands which sits vacant (which was purchased before my time). The Over-the-Rhine project is very impressive. In addition, the owner has also purchased historic property in vicinity of the center (A 19th century church to name one) and turned them into very successful ventures in previously abandoned areas. Indications are the same will be done here.

I am sorry to hear the loss of support from some of you. I live my life to try and do what I feel is the best and most principled thing. You can’t be all things to all people all the time. Sometimes no matter what you do half of the folks are going to love it and half are going to hate it. However, that is beside the point. I have to do what I think is best given the situation and circumstances given to me. If it were up to me, many things in government would be very different. I believe in the economic and governing principles laid out by Thomas Jefferson, Adam Smith and John Locke.  But I can only control so much with one vote on Middletown City Council. I must accept the constraints and conditions of previous council decisions, state and federal law and other matters that create the world we live in 2010. I would hope that folks on this site are intellectually honest enough to see that I am a puppet for no one, not on this site, not in the city building and not in the “heavy hitter” class. I cannot nor have I ever proclaimed to do things to make everybody happy. Again, if my words caused a loss of support, I am disheartened by that. However, I must act on what I feel is best for Middletown.

Sincerely,

Josh Laubach

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 04 2010 at 7:12am
Just read Mr. Laubach's comments in the Journal. Mr. Laubach, I have talked to you on occasion and you started out, during your campaign, to be a straight shooter and a refreshing change as opposed to the poor choices we had before for council. In all fairness, I must say, that with this decision, I am now regretting my support for you. Granted, I would never have supported the incumbant Marconi. His decisions were incorrect for the city throughout his years on council despite his indication that he cared for the city.

Could you tell us here on this site, and off the record, why you would think this "artzy" theme for the downtown area will boost interest and revitalize the area? What could Verdin and the arts possibly offer as to decent paying jobs, support jobs surrounding this facility, and in the generation of enough interest to keep the project going for a reasonable length of time? These "coffee shop" employment jobs couldn't pay more than 6 bucks an hour- same with any support jobs that would materialize from this venture. You know as well as I, that 6 bucks an hour isn't enough to live on. Josh, there is no decent employment opportunities in this idea, it will attract only a limited number of people on a monthly basis to the downtown area, you are endorsing the use of hard-earned taxpayer money rather than private funds to risk and it has a good chance of not lasting long because it offers so little to attract people. What could you possibly see in this idea that makes it attractive to you? I would be interested in hearing from Ms. Scott-Jones and Mr. Smith on this matter as well. If you supported this, why? Is there something we, on this site, are missing? How about you, Mr. Picard? You monitor this site as well. What are your "off the record" feelings on this?
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 03 2010 at 9:57pm
Originally posted by spiderjohn spiderjohn wrote:

And the citizens will continue to be fleeced and slaughtered.

When will these "stakeholders" start using their OWN money?
So--the city is on the hook for private investors AGAIN with no real gain in our future.
Spot on, Spider!!!

Once again, not even a mention of the "bagholders"!!!

Once again, absolutely NO REGARD for any of the rest of the residents who have no agenda except the desire for a safe city with sound infrastructure, and an interest in their children's and their grandchildren's tax money in the form of the debt racked up by those seeking to recoup their unfortunate, and often ill-advised, investments at taxpayers' expense.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 03 2010 at 9:43pm

According to The Journal, the Cincinnati Pendleton Arts Center (PAC) has “eight floors filled with hundreds of studios accommodating some 400 artists.” But, according to Law Director Landen (a member of the local illuminati), the Cinci PAC has only 250 artists yet it is out of space and has a waiting list!!! So, who is wrong--The Journal or Mr. Landen???

An “extensive amount of demographic research” was performed, according to Economic Development Director Robinette. But he doesn’t have “real, specific numbers” because they simply do not exist!!! Yet he said over and over that the other PACs have a “long, established track record”!!! If they have a “track records”, trot them out and show us!!!

Additionally, here we are, less than two weeks from implementing this deal and with much work already having been done, and with all of the boosters singing praises and seeming so certain what a great deal this is for our city, yet two main parts remain a complete mystery!!!

The first is “Additional compensation.” In addition to the compensation set forth in paragraph (a)(1) Developer shall complete the interior finishing of the first and second floor of the Property as specified in the final floor plan, attached hereto as Exhibit “B”.

The second is “Repairs.” Prior to the conveyance of the Property, the City shall repair or cause to be repaired, the items described in Exhibit “C”

But where are Exhibits “B” and “C”???

Less than two weeks before this “emergency” is to be acted upon, everyone is certain it is a wonderful deal, yet we don’t even know what “additional compensation” will be paid nor what “repairs” must be made by the city for the deal to happen!!!! How could there possibly have been any sort of financial analysis made on this deal without knowledge of these two important items???

How can either the buyer, Mr. Verdin, or the seller, the City of Middletown, have any idea about possible RETURN ON INVESTMENT???

This is nothing more than either a shot in the dark on a wing and a prayer (at best) or a corrupt, pork-filled, risky scheme to plunder the public treasure (at worst).

TANGO View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TANGO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 03 2010 at 7:43pm
wasteful based on things that tony voted for in his 4 years i dont whink that jump ship this quick
Nelson Self View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelson Self Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 03 2010 at 7:27pm
I'm beginning to regret my vote in the last contested Ward 3 election.

Thanks for attending tonight's City Council meeting, SpiderJohn.  What a let-down it must have been for you to see first-hand the two  young City Council members innocently follow the rest of the flock, etc..

Just how many times tonight did we hear Mike Robinette utter the feel-good planners term "stakeholders?"
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 03 2010 at 7:02pm
meek as lambs
Our new Councilmembers are now simply sheep to be led by the shepards.
And the citizens will continue to be fleeced and slaughtered.

When will these "stakeholders" start using their OWN money?
So--the city is on the hook for private investors AGAIN with no real gain in our future.

wasteful View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wasteful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 03 2010 at 6:52pm
No longer Middletown without it's downtown.  This is to bad for the other 80-90% of Middletown.  To bad the East End can not secede from Middletown and become it's own thriving City or Township.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic