Middletown Ohio

Find us on
 Google+ and Facebook

Home | Yearly News Archive | Advertisers | Blog | Contact Us
Friday, April 26, 2024
FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Will CBL's Towne Mall become "Middletown Village"?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
John Beagle View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Will CBL's Towne Mall become "Middletown Village"?
    Posted: May 25 2007 at 2:32pm
The Towne Mall in Middletown, Ohio is rumored to be remodeled after the Streets of Westchester, called Middletown Village.

We invite comments from merchants and shoppers of the mall.

John Beagle

Middletown USA

News of, for and by the people of Middletown, Ohio.
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2007 at 2:38pm
There are more than two dozen unoccupied store spaces inside the mall, and most of the surviving merchants say the mall's owner is keeping them in the dark about Towne Mall's future.

John Beagle

Middletown USA

MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 13 2007 at 2:15pm
Three New Freestanding Buildings Proposed For Towne Mall

Middletown's Planning Commission is looking at a plan to build three new freestanding buildings on portions of the parking area south of the mall.

See Towne Mall Live Snapshots

One of the buildings is to be for current mall tenant Rogers Jewelers, projected at 5,105 square feet. A second 10,000 square foot building is being planned for undisclosed tenants who will be leasing the building. The third 6,400 square foot building does not as of yet have a prospective tenant. The new buildings will be the initial phase of the proposed mall redevelopment.

original source:Towne Mall
John Beagle

Middletown USA

MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 13 2007 at 5:31pm
The Citys 2005 Master Plan recognized the importance of Towne Malls redevelopment to the overall success of the Citys EastEnd/Renaissance district.
John Beagle

Middletown USA

MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 26 2007 at 2:56pm
I have spoken to the Towne Mall Marketing Director, Rachel Olszwski regarding future plans for the mall.

The current vacancy rate is 44% according to Ms. Olswski.

I am in touch with Katie Reinsmidt at CBL Properties for further discussion. Stay tuned for additional details on the mall. Specifically these two questions:

Is the Towne Mall for Sale?
Can the Towne Mall be a Premier, Upscale Mall?

John Beagle

Middletown USA

MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 27 2007 at 12:58pm
CBL owns, holds interests in or manages 131 properties, including 79 enclosed regional malls and open-air centers.

The properties are located in 27 states and total 74.6 million square feet including 2.0 million square feet of non-owned shopping centers managed for third parties.

John Beagle

Middletown USA

Tom Sawyer View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Sawyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 29 2007 at 11:40am
Surely the Mall would want to invest in our community. They are just playin' opossum. Give em the abatement's and they will build. Give them nothing and that's what they will do, nothing.

Business strategy 1202, negotatiate all the free money you can. Stalling is an excellent negotiation strategy.
He had discovered a great law of human action, without knowing it--namely, that in order to make a man or a boy covet a thing, it is only necessary to make the thing difficult to attain.
arwendt View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arwendt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 15 2007 at 12:07pm
I love that quote in your signature Tom Sawyer.

And I love looking at the Live Towne Mall Cam on bad days full of snow and slush like today.
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2008 at 9:32am
From Bill Murphy, City of Middletown:

The Towne Mall is another issue all together. We are first going to try and work with CBL (the owners of the mall) on a redevelopment. With Dillards leaving it gives some flexibility to CBL that they didnt have prior to the announcement. You may know that the anchor tenants own their buildings and associated parking. We have engaged Property Advisors on a retail recruitment strategy that we believe demonstrates a favorable environment for additional retail at I-75/122. Warren County in fact partnered with us to pay for the study and will be working with us at the International Council of Shopping Centers conference to tell our story. We have added an additional section to our website about our retail strategy (www.cityofmiddletown.org/retail).
John Beagle

Middletown USA

MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Beagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2008 at 9:42am
Bill Murphy and others from the City of Middletown and the mall owners, CBL have traveled to Las Vegas for the Mall Developers Show

Will the city staff and CBL come back from Vegas with a plan?

I will ask Bill Murphy that very question, as soon as he gets back from his trip later this week.
John Beagle

Middletown USA

Middletown News View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown News Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2008 at 11:04am
I just can't wait to see what they come up with.
HereIam View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HereIam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 10 2008 at 3:39pm
Whatever happened to these plans?  More stores are moving out, but nothing has happened yet.
arwendt View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arwendt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 10 2008 at 4:27pm
I will go out on a limb here and say I don't think the current mall ownership is capable of conceiving a plan that will save this property.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 10 2008 at 4:41pm
Personally, I think the mall owners, CBL, are worried about the citizens of Middletown supporting any kind of Commericial/Retail project they build there.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 18 2008 at 10:49am
Good point Pacman- Goes back to the idea that retail, in any form, will not locate in this town UNTIL, Mr. Murphy and the crew at city hall start making it a priority to attract higher paying jobs that allow for descretionary spending. It makes sense that you wouldn't want to invest in a business venture that will shortly die on the vine because the residents here can barely afford to pay the bills, much less go out to eat or to buy new clothes, etc. Again,decent paying JOBS must come first as the source of the money flow, to assure new businessess that they will have a customer base to survive. If true, why is city hall trying to get the retail first without the needed income source from the customers?
HereIam View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HereIam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 18 2008 at 12:30pm
Then again, what is there at the present time to draw people to the Towne Mall.  Very vew shops and not top of the line at that.  Most people in Middletown and the surrounding area go to the Dayton Mall or Tri-County Mall if they want to shop.  CBL needed to step it up but failed
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 25 2008 at 10:01am

Appears CBL is giving lip service only, of course the way retail is dropping like flies around here what do you expect.

No word yet on mall's future

CBL promised to contact city with redevelopment plans in 30 days but is silent so far.

By Ed Richter

Staff Writer

Wednesday, June 25, 2008

MIDDLETOWN — As officials in Monroe prepare to break ground today, June 25, on a new 440,000-square-foot, 120-store outlet mall, officials here are still awaiting word on the future of one of this city's primary shopping venues.

It's been more than a month since Middletown officials met with CBL & Associates in Las Vegas to discuss the fate of Towne Mall. At that time, representatives of CBL, which owns the mall, told city leaders they were working on a redevelopment proposal and would contact the city within 30 days for further talks.

As of Monday, the city had not heard from CBL, said Bill Murphy, the city's economic development director. Murphy said he would be getting in touch with the Chattanooga, Tenn.-based company in the next few days.

arwendt View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arwendt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 25 2008 at 3:37pm

I met a fellow at work the other day. He was chatting with my co-worker about a new store he was opening. It sounded very interesting and I could not help but ask where the store would be. He replied "right here at the Towne Mall". All I could think of to say was "wow, to bad"

Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 25 2008 at 4:48pm
Towne Mall as in the Towne Mall in its current state?  Hey if he wants to throw his money away send him my way.Wink
HereIam View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HereIam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 26 2008 at 5:10pm
If someone is going to open a store in the Mall - we should encourage them and support them.  It's talk like this that discourages others from coming to Middletown.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2008 at 6:30am
HereIam I am all for supporting local retail.  It just is not good business sense at this time to go into the Towne Mall unless they are giving free rent and very short term leases.  I stay out of Walmart and spend as much of my money locally as I can, but it is difficult in Middletown with the lack of even the basic retail establishments.

This is just my opinion but it seems that a significant number of citizens of Middletown are resigned to just have things the way they are now.  Many can't picure anyother than what Middletown is now.

You don't need to become a West Chester to be a vibrant community to have people want to move here, but you also must improve what you have now and I don't see the citizens of Middletown wanting to do that.  Whether they are just content to stay the way it is now, I don't know.  But Council is nnot doing anyone in Middletown any favors with their action or lack of action on the major issues.
.308 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2008 at 8:47am

So Pacman,

If I am CBL, and the Mall is "mine", and I just don't care if it's a raging retail success or just a nice place for a semi to park for an overnight, and you of course are the city, what again are you going to do about it?

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2008 at 10:37am
.308- There's probably an ordinance prohibiting trucks from parking for extended periods of time in places not designated for long term parking activities. The Towne Mall would probably be one of them. If so, cite the truck owner for the violation and/or the mall owners for allowing the infraction. To the point of risking severe criticism here, I'll "take a shot" on the subject. Because vacant business buildings( and residential houses) are at an epidemic proportion, all over town now,and most becoming an eyesore, I would propose that the owners of said buildings either " fill it or fund it". Meaning- If you own a building and you lose your tenant, the building may sit empty for a specified period of time while you work to find a new tenant. After that specified time, you will be required to place a specified amount of money, into a fund to "encourage you" to find a tenant.The sooner you find a tenant, the quicker your "contribution" stops.What about returning the "contributions" to the owners after they have successfully completed the vacancy requirements? Perhaps we could eliminate the situation downtown where we have stores along Central Avenue that have sat empty for decades with no business interests in site and the owners of the properties so apathetic that they will never be filled.Now- that starts the discussion. Business owners, let's hear your ideas on how to fill stores that have sat empty for decades. I tend to oversimplify these things.
.308 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 27 2008 at 11:49am

No criticism here and I find your thinking very original. Without that type of thinking we will be hard pressed improve the community because IMHO many of our problems have gone way past the point of being easily solved by traditional means.

FYI: I have a friend who lives in Iowa. He drives a semi for a living. He has often spent the night in the Lowes parking lot with no hassle. I wonder if he avoids the the mall becasue of the little security guy driving around all the time in that pickup truck? Perhaps that scares off truckers and shoppers.. LOL
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 20 2008 at 12:08pm
Looks like more Lip Service from the Mall developers.  We will get back to you in June with a plan, yeah right.  Might as well pave over the mall it would look better anyways.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic