FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Driving around Middletown

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
chmoore1 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chmoore1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Driving around Middletown
    Posted: Sep 02 2014 at 10:42pm
Questions while driving around Middletown: (1) Tytus at Nelbar---why do we still have to wait for the green turn signal before turning right onto Nelbar? Don't we know how to safely turn right on red?(2)why does it take FOREVER for the light to change while sitting at Rosedale and Breiel? and more importantly...(3) driving east on Central, why does traffic stop at the point with First Avenue? It would be safer for traffic to stop while driving on First. It is safer for a driver to look over his left shoulder to look for traffic than to try to maneuver himself to strain to his right, especially if he is driving a panel truck or van with no side windows. Also, it IS Central Avenue that continues, NOT First. Things to ponder while driving around the town.   just 1chmoore.
ktf1179 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ktf1179 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 02 2014 at 10:44pm
My main question is why is there so many one way streets in downtown Middletown? Why don't they make them 2 way like Dayton and so many cities are doing?
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 03 2014 at 6:26am
Originally posted by ktf1179 ktf1179 wrote:

My main question is why is there so many one way streets in downtown Middletown? Why don't they make them 2 way like Dayton and so many cities are doing?

Back in the day (1950's for me), when the downtown was crowded and there were many people shopping and working down there, to avoid congestion, Central Ave. and Manchester Ave. (one-way) provided the inbound traffic route and First Ave's one-way double lane design relieved the congestion on Central at 5PM go-home time. First Ave. was the designated outbound route. Actually still is to this date although the traffic has diminished considerably. JMO
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 03 2014 at 6:41am
Originally posted by chmoore1 chmoore1 wrote:

Questions while driving around Middletown: (1) Tytus at Nelbar---why do we still have to wait for the green turn signal before turning right onto Nelbar? Don't we know how to safely turn right on red?(2)why does it take FOREVER for the light to change while sitting at Rosedale and Breiel? and more importantly...(3) driving east on Central, why does traffic stop at the point with First Avenue? It would be safer for traffic to stop while driving on First. It is safer for a driver to look over his left shoulder to look for traffic than to try to maneuver himself to strain to his right, especially if he is driving a panel truck or van with no side windows. Also, it IS Central Avenue that continues, NOT First. Things to ponder while driving around the town.   just 1chmoore.

My guess? There is a long sweeping turn off of northbound University onto Nelbar and, perhaps, the thinking is that as one turns left onto Nelbar heading to the train overpass, they get some speed in the turn and might not allow enough of a chance, without risk, of one being able to make the right turn in a safe manner off of southbound University.

Rosedale has much less traffic than Breiel. Perhaps a matter of numbers?? Much more efficient to hold up a few cars on Rosedale a little longer than the many on Breiel? A "Keep the boulevards moving" concept perhaps? Dunno.

Since First Ave. was designed to keep traffic moving out of the downtown, and because it is a one-way two lane street with more traffic volume (we're talking years ago now when there actually was a high traffic volume coming out of downtown) and because Central is one lane heading east and out of the downtown, perhaps the city engineers, at the time, thought it would be safer for Central to stop the one lane rather than to stop the two lane First Ave. faster moving traffic. Just guessing here. Gotta stop one of them and since First had a higher volume at the time, they probably decided to keep it moving first. Again, just guessing here.
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
409 View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 409 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 03 2014 at 10:23am
The stop at Central & First occurred years ago when First Ave. was a part of SR122. Recall that First & Manchester were part of SR122 before the beltway was built, Reinartz overpass existed, and even before the Nelbar underpass was built.
Every morning is the dawn of a new error...
over the hill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 03 2014 at 10:37am
My question is why we have added so many "no turn on red" signs? If any one remembers, during the "gas crisis" of the early '80's legislation was passed to allow more signs to be erected in an effort to save on gas as opposed to sitting at lights when a right turn on red was possible. We use to be able to turn right at the Towne Mall on to 122 but no more. The light at Cinn-Day and 122 does not allow right turn on red. Never have understood that. There was plenty of land area by the car rental place to allow for the extra lane. The turn arrow at Tytus and Nelbar is a figment of your imagination. If I see that turn arrow once in 6months I think it is a call for celebration. Any one from enginering jump in any time would love to hear the rationale as to why we could at one time and now we can't.
middletownscouter View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote middletownscouter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 03 2014 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by chmoore1 chmoore1 wrote:

2)why does it take FOREVER for the light to change while sitting at Rosedale and Breiel?

This one annoys me as well. Back in my school days in the early 1990's one of my teachers related it as a "five Hail Mary" stop. I realize Breiel is one of the busier streets in town but perhaps the only time of day that it would be so congested as to be a hindrance to shorten the wait at that light would be right before the start of the day at the high school and likewise right after dismissal for the day.

It reminds me of when the traffic light went in at Manchester and Marshall. We had to wait F.O.R.E.V.E.R. for that light to change. They finally shortened the cycle time but took years of complaints.

With the additional businesses that have gone in right at that traffic light over the last decade and a half along with Rosedale being extended all the way to Marshall you'd think it would be a benefit to shorten the wait time at that light.
chmoore1 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chmoore1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 03 2014 at 2:29pm
Mscouter: Rosedale/Breiel has been going on for over 12 years, when my kids went to HS. I suppose that there is a sensor in the pavement that seems to be activated only after 3 or more cars accumulate at the intersection. This, along with the fact that if one car is going straight across Breiel (going east), the car(s) behind can't turn right because there's no room to get by the first. Street department/engineering: can you help?    just 1chmoore.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic