FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Middletown Cemetery Fund

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Middletown Cemetery Fund
    Posted: Jun 05 2009 at 3:48pm
June 5, 2009
Friday
Ms Gilleland and City Council

I just called Mr. Ron Phelps to inquire where and how I was to be reimbursed the funds that I spent for the
Middletown Cemetery over the past several weeks. Mr. Phelps wanted to know how and why I had spent these funds. I explained that these were to be paid from my Middletown Cemetery Fund and that the account had a current balance of $1,195.11…he answered not any more. He then informed me that I would be paying for all the bagged mulch that was used at the cemetery last Saturday.
    Now for a little history….In 2005 the Middletown Historical Society agreed to act as the fiscal agent for the Middletown Cemetery Committee to obtain grants and donation for the
Middletown Cemetery. I do research for people from all over the country and this research money was placed in the Middletown Cemetery Fund at MHS. I later found out that the Middletown Historical Society could not account for some of the donations that were sent to the cemetery because of their poor accounting and the fact that they had no books. I called Ginger Smith and ask if the funds could be moved to the City because I needed a 5013C. On January 23, 2008 I deposited my research money in the amount of $1,298,41 into the Middletown Cemetery Fund at the City. Ginger Smith assured me that I would be the only person to have access to these funds….
    Last month I requested a $1,000 of my money from this account to make a payment to my attorney to save the vault and was refused the funds. However now I’m told that Mr. Phelps has ordered that payment for the mulch come from my account.
    I informed you in writing in February 2009 that I would no longer fund the Middletown Cemetery maintenance.
    I did not give anyone permission to use any of these funds.
    I would advise you speak with Mr. Ashworth and Mr. Mulligan about this matter.

Vivian Combs Moon   

VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 05 2009 at 4:51pm
Vivian- Questions beg to be asked from your information. First, why can't the Midd. Historical Society account for this money? No books to record money transactions? Bull! Didn't they give you a receipt for the deposit? Who was the money handler for them? If they can't account for the money, then it must be assumed that it was "appropriated" (a politically correct word for stolen) Did the city give you a receipt for the $1298.41 deposited with them? If not, why not? How can this Phelps guy just give you this "not anymore" crap? Does he have authority over the fund itself? If not, he should butt out. No way should the mulch be coming out of your pocket, especially since all this is the city's responsibility in the first place!! With Phelps ordering payment to you for the mulch, apparently Ginger Smith lied to you on you having control of the account.I guess that this proves that anytime you enter into a "partnership" with this city, you better have a legal contract signed with them as they appear to "change the rules of engagement" quite often. Another example of inviting the average citizen to participate and then sticking it to them--- kinda like the Finance and Street Committees where they invited the public in but wanted you to keep quiet while the "big adults" discussed business. Disgusting!
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 05 2009 at 5:47pm
First, why can't the Midd. Historical Society account for this money? No books to record money transactions?...NOPE!
Didn't they give you a receipt for the deposit?...NOPE!
Who was the money handler for them?...
Sam Ashwoth & Larry Mulligan 
Did the city give you a receipt for the $1298.41 deposited with them?...NOPE!
How can this Phelps guy just give you this "not anymore" crap? Does he have authority over the fund itself?...I don't have a clue who is over this fund. I was assured it was my money to be used only by me...This is the same money that I have used over the past 5 years for research and restoring the cemetery.   
No way should the mulch be coming out of your pocket, especially since all this is the city's responsibility in the first place!!...They just want to stick it to me one more time because  they want to shut me up.
I guess that this proves that anytime you enter into a "partnership" with this city, you better have a legal contract signed with them as they appear to "change the rules of engagement" quite often...You got that right!
Another example of inviting the average citizen to participate and then sticking it to them...I'm living proof of how the City of Middletown treats a volunteer. If I had known then what I do today you can bet I would never have walked into the Middletown Cemetery and started to restore it.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 05 2009 at 8:44pm
Until the people stand up and say enough is enough this is what you will get.
Smokey Burgess View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokey Burgess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 05 2009 at 9:02pm
Git 'Er Done!

Thanks Smokey

Please share my post with others and help save the Middletown Cemetery and Vault.
If you know of anyone that has family buriedin this cemetery please have them contact me at the number below...
The City can't win this WAR!
Thanks
Vivian Moon
727-1942
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 06 2009 at 8:28am
Vivian- I won't bother you at home with a phone call. You asked if anyone has family buried here. The answer for me is yes. My Grandfather's family is buried in the Pioneer Cemetery. The name is Stillwaugh.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 06 2009 at 10:28am

VietVet
I worked on your Stillwaugh family burial plot last year trimming the overgrown shrubs. In fact they really need to be cut down so they won’t damage the tombstone.  I just can’t believe that the City has no respect for the dead buried at the Middletown Cemetery.  

MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokey Burgess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 06 2009 at 12:12pm
Dear Miss Moon -

I expect to telephone you to get your postal address.Smile  Count on Smokey to send you $100 for your legal reply to the city.Clap

Dear MiddletownUSA Readers -

I hope that many of you will support Miss Moon.Clap  She is doing good things for Middletown.Star

It is sad to read these unbelievable things about our leaders, I mean dictators.Angry

Smokey
Bobbie View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 08 2009 at 10:25am
Last time I checked this is a form of embezzlement.  If they can do the crime they should do the time.  I am really surprised they want to use this for the mulch - I would assume they would want to spend this money for the demolition of the building.  That is what they want to spend all the HUD money for.
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 08 2009 at 2:50pm
I received an email from Ms Gilleland last Friday stating that I was NOT to perform any further work in the cemetery without written permission of the City.
    I emailed Ron Phelps and Doris Baden and told them that I and Cohen Bros had planted new shrubs and grasses last Saturday at the west front side of the cemetery that needed to be watered or they would die.
    So today I get another email:
Ms. Moon,
Please do not direct the city staff.  We do not have the staff to maintain new, let alone existing planting beds.  We are attempting to provide a coordinated approach to maintenance of city facilities. 
Judith A. Gilleland    

So not only did they steal money from my account now they are going to let the plants that I have planted for the past 5 years die from lack of water.
     Yes Sir….this is City PRIDE IN ACTION
Bobbie View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 08 2009 at 3:38pm
Sounds like an admission of guilt that they can not maintain their properties.  So therefore why are they sending out citations to individuals about their properties when so many are having hard times financially. 

MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 08 2009 at 4:34pm
Bobbie
    I think we need to set up a camera patrol to photograph all the well kept City property around Middletown and post them on a web site with dates and locations. I have some great photos to share Big%20smile. Maybe the City Council would let us do a show and tell during the next Council Meeting LOL
    I'm still waiting to see how they are going to solve all the problems of the
citizens with rusty gutters....then they are going into the business community and downtown to make it all pretty... 
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokey Burgess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 08 2009 at 5:02pm
Miss Vivian -

A friend of mine can get you addresses for foreclosed and seriously delinquent HUD-rehabbed houses involving the City.  This can show taxpayers how these funds were either wasted or doled out preferentially.

Watch out for the Queen of Middletown.  When you don't swear a 100% allegiance to her and her ideas, you are headed for the recycling bin.  My friend also learned this lesson like you have now.

God Bless You!  God forgive the elitists who (TEMPORARILY) control our government.

Smokey
Bobbie View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 09 2009 at 10:13am
I don't mind taking pictures, I always have a camera in my car.  I think they will pay attention to their properties when someone falls on the paver block around the city building and sues them.  That is in need of major repair or someone will hurt themselves. 
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokey Burgess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 16 2009 at 1:25pm
THIS COMMUNICATION WAS ALSO SENT TO CITY COUNCILMEN MARCONI, ARMBRUSTER, BECKER & SCHIAVONE  

Dr. Bronston, Wanda Glover & Dr. Foster -

The first African-American settlers in Middletown are also buried in the Historic Pioneer Cemetery.

Reva Owens, Walter Leap, Don Gardner, Geri Lynn Maples, Paul Renwick, Paul Nagy & Robyn M. French -

Also buried in the Historic Pioneer Cemetery are nearly 250 Revolutionary War, Civil War, Spanish-American War, World War One, World War Two and Korean war veterans.

NRS
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokey Burgess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 17 2009 at 6:43am
It seems as though all of Miss Scott Jones comments made about Miss Vivian Moon at last night's City Council meeting were not included in this morning's Middletown Journal story.  Those of us who know Miss Vivian are disturbed that she would be characterized unfavorably by a City Council member.Thumbs%20Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokey Burgess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 17 2009 at 6:54am
A very big "thank you" goes out to Tom Rapp for speaking out on behalf of the Historic Pioneer Cemetery and its' most ardent supporter Miss Vivian Moon at last night's City Council meeting!Clap

Despite your serious medical challenges, you routinely attend City Council meetings and always speak the truth on behalf of the citizens of Middletown!Clap

God bless you Tom!Star
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokey Burgess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 18 2009 at 8:52am

STATUS OF HOUSING CODE VIOLATION COMPLAINT FROM HISTORIC PIONEER CEMETERY VOLUNTEER STILL IGNORED BY COMMUNITY REVITALIZATION DEPARTMENT

On Monday, June 1st, Miss Vivian Moon called a senior staff member of the Community Revitalization Department to report tall weeds and grass at a vacant house next to her residence.  Now, some 17 days later the City of Middletown continues to ignore this reported problem.  Is this an oversight or retaliation against her??ConfusedConfusedConfused

Note:  all of last year Miss Moon was forced to maintain the yard at the property adjacent to her because she could get no satisfaction from the City of Middletown!!AngryAngryAngry
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 18 2009 at 10:32am
Based on the information that Vivian was advised to stop working at the cemetery by Gilleland, unless she had permission, I would suspect, based on the lack of appreciation from the city, that she would potentially be cited for attempting to mow the grass next door, without permission,of course!
Bobbie View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 18 2009 at 11:24am
I would be very thankful if someone would come take care of my yard.  I would keep track of any work that is done there as of now.  Since the city is on notice that Vivian filed a report, I am sure the grass and weeds will be taken care of for awhile now. 
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 18 2009 at 11:34am
Bobbie
    They don't have time to hide or repair 60 years of neglect before the the State of Ohio makes their visit...plus I have hundreds of photos showing before and after conditions at the cemetery.  
Bobbie View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 18 2009 at 12:14pm

Way to go Vivian.  They may say you went "out of order" - however I think you were very fair by letting them know in advance that you would file against them if they did not do anything.  You did more then you had to do as far as I am concerned.  You should not have to tell the city to take care of their responsibilities.  It almost seems to me some individuals think they are above what the law states they should do, as well as what they should do just out of respect. 

MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 18 2009 at 1:54pm
Bobbie
I warned then Mayor Noah Powers in 2005 that the City of Middletown was not in compliance with ORC 4767 regarding the care of the cemetery and that I would file against them if conditions didn't improve. The battle between I and the City has been going on for 4 years however I didn't make it public until this year. I think I have given them more than enough time to step up to the plate and do the right thing..
Middletown News View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown News Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 18 2009 at 2:56pm
Agreed Vivian, you gave the city plenty of time.
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokey Burgess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 18 2009 at 3:00pm
Dear Miss Vivian -

It's painfully obvious to a growing number of Middletonians that THE ALMIGHTY QUEEN OF MIDDLETOWN is always displeased when any one of her "servants" fails to toe the line!  Be careful of the wrath of the QUEEN!

Like former President Harry Truman reportedly said, "Keep giving 'em Hell Miss Vivian!

Smokey
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic