FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SunCoke - EPA Meeting

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Middletown News View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown News Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SunCoke - EPA Meeting
    Posted: Jun 18 2009 at 1:34pm
Hamilton County Department of Environmental Services and Ohio EPA will hold a meeting at 6:30 p.m. on June 25, 2009.

The meeting will be held in the City Council Chambers on the lower level of the Middletown City Building, One Donham Plaza, Middletown.

Read: SunCoke: We have enough Emission Reduction Credits
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown News Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 22 2009 at 4:21pm
This meeting is coming up Thursday. Anyone planning on attending?
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 22 2009 at 6:51pm
Does anyone know with Sun Cokes' ERC if the smell will still be present or have they found a way to eliminate the smell ?
No more democrats no more republicans,vote Constitution Party !!
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 22 2009 at 6:52pm
And yes I plan to be there.Thumbs%20Up
Gary Barge View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Barge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 23 2009 at 1:05am
Angry ALL OF MIDDLETOWN GO TO THIS
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 23 2009 at 8:40am
Gary and Hermes:

If everything works properly (and I realize that is a big "IF") it will not have the smell of the Middletown Works coke plant.

The vast majority of what you currently smell is volatile gasses from which they try to recover by-products. (I have WAY over-simplified here!)

This process will not even attempt any recovery of by-products.  The coal/coke will be heated to a much higher temperature, past that at which all such substances will have been burned up.  This higher heat (sometimes termed "waste heat") is what allows the "co-generation" of electricity by steam generation.

Ask Mr. Bob Snook, Lemon Township trustee, in case I am not completely technically correct.  Even though he is against the project, I believe that he is a stand-up guy.  He is certainly more technically savvy about this process than I am (and probably more than nearly any other local resident.)  I know that he will be pleased to correct any errors in my explanation or explain more fully if you desire.

“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 23 2009 at 9:04am
Thanks Mike for that summary. The smell is my biggest concern,but if they have developed ways to eliminate it or even reduce it thats great. I have been in areas where coke plants have been located and the smell is horrific.
lrisner View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lrisner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 23 2009 at 12:57pm
< ="text/">

The key Point in this whole thing is "Emission Reduction Credits". That really is the bone of contention to my understanding. AK Steel permanently shut down it's Middletown Works Sinter Plant in June 2003.  The Sinter Plant was a major source of Pollution and the root cause of many complaints over the years. AK "collected" Emission Reduction Credits for shutting it down. As a quasi "partner" with AK in the Coke Plant Project the Law supposedly allows the transfer of these Credits to Sun Coke who want to use them for the Coke Plant. It is my understanding that Sun Coke waited too long to start construction and the Credits are thus expired (according to an anti-Sun Coke source).

I personally am hesitant to agree to their use as we really don't know how dirty it will allow the Plant to be. Of course Sun says it will be spotless, but one would have to be naive to believe what they say in this regard. Remember
, the Credits purpose is to allow Sun Coke to operate this Plant less cleanly than they could . I found the whole Haverhill trip to be silly as the credit will allow Sun to have they Middletown Coke much dirtier than Haverhill.

After 30 years at AK, I know how much spin can be put on an Environmental issue. Support this with caution!

MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 23 2009 at 10:17pm
Originally posted by Hermes Hermes wrote:

Thanks Mike for that summary. The smell is my biggest concern,but if they have developed ways to eliminate it or even reduce it thats great. I have been in areas where coke plants have been located and the smell is horrific.

Hermes: The great majority of the coke plants in the USA are of the “by-products recovery” type. I would think that is the type you have been near. SunCoke plans to build a “non-recovery” type plant. This is a huge difference.

(If you would tell me where the facilities you were near were located, I can probably tell you which type they were, as I have been to a majority of American coke plants, and a few in foreign countries.)

The coal (the “raw material” used) will still smell like coal, and the coke (the “finished product”) will still smell like coke. However, few people find these odors objectionable. (In the past, these items were used as heating fuels in homes and were stockpiled near home furnaces and fireplaces.)

As long as everything is working properly (and that is the key phrase), I doubt that the odor will be a problem.

“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
lrisner View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lrisner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 24 2009 at 8:26am
Originally posted by Mike_Presta Mike_Presta wrote:

However, few people find these odors objectionable.

LOL....I actually kinda liked the smell of Fresh Coke!
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown News Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 24 2009 at 4:19pm
I don't think there is much interest in attending from the Monroe community according to John Beagle, the city isn't sending a representative, just a letter.
The Voice: SunCoke - EPA Meeting Thursday 6/25
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 24 2009 at 9:21pm
Originally posted by lrisner lrisner wrote:

Originally posted by Mike_Presta Mike_Presta wrote:

However, few people find these odors objectionable.

LOL....I actually kinda liked the smell of Fresh Coke!
LOL...Actually, most people confuse the smell of the by-products and various volatiles with the smell of the actual coke.  I don't find the actual coke to be very odoriferous at all.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic