FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

AIN'T NO WAY!!!!!!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AIN'T NO WAY!!!!!!!!
    Posted: Jan 11 2010 at 7:01am
The Municipal Court in Middletown has hired Schiavone to do some "projects" like develop a plan for when the frikkin' power goes out and, no doubt, when the toilets don't flush in the restrooms. WHAT??????? Russy Carolus says the city didn't hire him--- that he falls under the court jurisdiction. Then why did the Council develop an ordinance creating this special job for Schiavone? This hiring would not have happened if the council had not created the position. If it doesn't involve the city, as Carolus says, why is Council getting involved? Why is he being hired when his past record in Mason and Hamilton, in the court system, has led to two terminations for poor performance/goofing off on the job related issues? He has been a liability on his past jobs- why take the chance? He is being held to 35 hours per week at a $24.66/hour pay rate to keep him part time. Is Schiavone even qualified for this job? Was the job position bid out or was it "specially created", given to him by his council cronies? This has got to stop people. This council behavior only opens the division even more between council and the residents. Just adds to the "no trust" label given to our city government. This reeks of back room politics. Enough is enough! Kick those who approved this off council- NOW! A recall, as soon as law will allow, is in order here for those who agreed to this.
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 11 2010 at 8:59am
Wow--did anyone do a backround check on this individual?
Might uncover a very ?able work ethic and honesty issues.
 Will his work time be monitored, and by whom?
Mr.Rossi?
So--the court has this much extra $$ in a budget crisis, while the city lays off 7(with 5 weeks severance INSTEAD of simply working these employees 5 more weeks!).
Did Dave Schiavone vote to create this position during his last Council meeting, then accept this position as soon as his Council term expire?
I wonder if there were any other applicants or interviews for the position?

Council, the court system and Admin all look bad on this one, and obviously they aren't in need of $$.
Please remember this one when the city asks for additional tax revenue.
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 11 2010 at 9:08am
I am looking into this as we speak. Have a few emails out there right now, waiting for a responses. I got a call from a city official  this morning on this subject and there were not happy.
Call me for a www.CameraSecurityNow.com quote 513-422-1907 x357
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 11 2010 at 9:20am
I'm going back to sleep.  I am obviously dreaming and this is part of a terrible nightmare.  Later, I will awaken, fully refreshed and feeling fine. Sleepy
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
Nelson R. Self View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelson R. Self Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 11 2010 at 10:15am
Josh & A.J. --

The image of Middletown's government gets another black eye on this one.  I wish you both well as City Council members.  You both have what it takes to make our government transparent and accountable.

Thank you!
A.J. Smith View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A.J. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 11 2010 at 10:28am
Folks, I apologize for the way this has all happened. When this ordinance was put forth, I personally was not privy to the info that David Schiavone was going to get the job, or even be considered for that matter. Had I known, I would have voted the emergency down and hoped for it to be tabled it for two weeks.

I'm very frustrated about this and I understand everyone's frustration. Once again, my deepest apologies.
Jlaubach View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jlaubach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 11 2010 at 10:45am

Council was not privy to the hiring of Mr. Schiavone. I am extremely upset over the matter and how it reflects on our city government as awhole. There are questions to be answered and I intend to find them. Mr. Self. since you cannot attend the meetings, I will be glad to bring up the issues you have outlined.

Bobbie View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 11 2010 at 10:51am
I am not surprised you did not know this AJ, but I guarentee some of your counter parts there did.  This is really a shame and about as low as you can get.  I don't wish any bad on Schiavone - but this is not right.  Was this a posted position that anyone could apply for?  If so was it posted in December prior to his leaving counsel? 
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 11 2010 at 11:05am
City Leaders and Councilmembers........How was this whole scenario presented to Council for ordinance adoption? Who were the originators of the Council proposal for ordinance adoption? What was the reason to justify this special event to occur? IE- that ONLY Schiavone be permitted to assume this special job opening? Who made the decision that Schiavone was qualified to do this job? Was his past questionable work record considered before he was offered the job? Who, in the Municipal Court, approved his hiring? Was anyone else interviewed for this position or was it a done deal? Seems awfully convenient that as soon as Schiavone vacates the Council seat, he is set up with a decent paying job within the Municipal Court building, perhaps doing a job that he is not qualified to do. Why was there no hesitation to investigate the situation and another rubber stamp issued on this? SOME Councilpeople just say yes to anything and everything that comes down the path, don't they?

Do you city leaders know how bad this looks to the citizens? It reeks of impropriety, convenience and favoritism. Not a team building/favorable communication exercise with the general public folks!

You've opened up another scandal saga on this one.
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 11 2010 at 11:30am
Another glaring example of the improper usage of emergency lwgislation.

So--what exactly was the emergency here?

Every election campaign, Council wannabes talk about how they will end the mis-use of emergency legislation, however once elected, none ever follow through on that campaign promise.

Mr.Laubaugh and Mr.Smith were both very vocal about this concern.
What happened guys?

So--we have retained Ms.Ford as a new member of the Board of Health, and Mr.Schiavone in this new position.
Any thoughts on where/how Mr.Marconi will re-surface?
Council/Admin communications liason or spokesperson?
Smartman View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smartman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 11 2010 at 11:31am
Here we go again Vet!! Same ole same oleAngry
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 11 2010 at 12:15pm
Taken from the Middletown Journal

Finance Director Russ Carolus said Schiavone stands to make around $5,000 for working several 35-hour weeks. The approved position pays around $24.66 per hour.

Carolus said the city typically tries to keep all part-time employees below the 35-hour threshold to ensure nobody will claim the position is actually full-time.

The city had “absolutely no say” in Schiavone’s hiring, Carolus said, as the municipal court appoints and fires its own people without city input.

“They’re not part of civil service, so we have no ability to say ‘no’ or ‘yes’ or anything like that,” Carolus said.

I am confussed: I the city had no say in the matter, why were they asked to pass an  ordinance creating the position of Special projects Manager? Someone please explain that to me.
Jlaubach View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jlaubach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 11 2010 at 12:24pm
SJ, Others,
No excuses. I am furious. Council gave the Staff Report credit for what it said ( and this is that the position was needed to meet Ohio surpreme court Standards while having no financial impact. The money was already in the budget for 2010)  Why Mr. Schiavone was hired is beyond me (Council did not hire David. The court side did after we ok'd the temp postion. Had I and at least two of the other council members known this, there is no way this would have passed.) I have many questions as well.
Bobbie View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 11 2010 at 12:32pm
Can we also find out why the journal took off the comments section on this article?
Hermes View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hermes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 11 2010 at 12:54pm
As I stated in a previous posting here when I asked about this position I said something to the fact about a "flunky getting the job" and apparently I was 100% correct. People this is more of the same, the good ole boy syndrome. I have no doubt that AJ & Josh were in the dark about this back room deal because if they had knowledge of it I believe they would have fought this tooth and nail.

Again I questioned the reason for the emergency declaration and now we know why. Landen pushed it as fast as possible before anyone could ask questions. I'm sure you all would agree with me when I say it's time or past time to vacate several positions in  city hall once and for all. Demand a new law director and new city manager. Like Vet said this crap has to stop and stop now !!
No more democrats no more republicans,vote Constitution Party !!
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelson R. Self Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 11 2010 at 12:57pm
Thank you Joshua!  It's been nearly one year since I "RESIGNED??" my position as Community Development Administrator thanks to the considerable "encouragement" of Ginger Smith and Miss Judy.  And, the last 18 months of my life have included some of the darkest emotional moments that anyone of sound mind would care to experience.  Thanks to the help of my doctors, family and friends I'm trying to rebuild my life. 

I actively campaingned for you Joshua and still believe that you're that "breath of fresh air" that our City Council so badly needs.  You may be young age wise but, you display much wisdom, common sense and a commitment to transparent/accountable government.

My only advice is to keep an "eye out."  Your predecessor was seeking answers to some of the HUD mess before certain senior City staff, a couple of key City Council members, and some politically influential power brokers in the community intervened.  Tony told me that last March that he'd no longer be able to ask questions or seek answers to most of the "swept unde the rug" matters involving HUD.  He stated that the politically powerful were after him and were supporting you or other potential candidates for the Ward 3 City Council seat.

Keep an eye out, Joshua.  I have also told A.J. the same thing.  I know of what I speak.

Thank you again Josh!  I, too, believe in a constitutional republic and empowering all citizens!
A.J. Smith View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A.J. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 11 2010 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by VietVet VietVet wrote:

City Leaders and Councilmembers........How was this whole scenario presented to Council for ordinance adoption? Who were the originators of the Council proposal for ordinance adoption? What was the reason to justify this special event to occur? IE- that ONLY Schiavone be permitted to assume this special job opening? Who made the decision that Schiavone was qualified to do this job? Was his past questionable work record considered before he was offered the job? Who, in the Municipal Court, approved his hiring? Was anyone else interviewed for this position or was it a done deal? Seems awfully convenient that as soon as Schiavone vacates the Council seat, he is set up with a decent paying job within the Municipal Court building, perhaps doing a job that he is not qualified to do. Why was there no hesitation to investigate the situation and another rubber stamp issued on this? SOME Councilpeople just say yes to anything and everything that comes down the path, don't they?

Do you city leaders know how bad this looks to the citizens? It reeks of impropriety, convenience and favoritism. Not a team building/favorable communication exercise with the general public folks!

You've opened up another scandal saga on this one.

Sir, here is the information that we had to make our decision. Now that there is a huge uproar in the community, as it should, more information has surfaced that we should have known before we voted on this ordinance. I assure you that I am just as upset as you about this. Once again, I apologize to all of you, and this is something that we're going to try and make right the best we can.

S T A F F   R E P O R T

For the Business Meeting of  January 5, 2010

January 11, 2010

PURPOSE

BACKGROUND and FINDINGS

Due to continuing new legal mandates and upgrades to Court programs, we find it necessary to add a position of special projects manager to the Court.  The Municipal Court is required to comply with the Ohio Supreme Court Rules of Superintendance as well as legislative statutes.  These rules include developing and implementing a Court Security Policy and Procedure Manual (Sup.R.9).  Included in that manual is developing and implementing an Emergency Preparedness Manual and a Continuity of Operations Manual (Standards 3& 4).  In addition the Court is upgrading the case maintenance software for the Civil Division.  This will upgrade a system originally installed in 1989 to more modern software that provides the public internet access to civil case information.  The Court is also reviewing collection practices to improve enforcement of financial sanctions.  

FINANCIAL IMPACT

EMERGENCY/NON EMERGENCY

MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelson R. Self Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 11 2010 at 1:23pm
A.J. -

I also have faith that you and Josh will be competent, fair-minded City Council members.

By the way, I can remember two former and one current City Council members telling me that I wouldn't be forced out of my former job in July 2008 at luncheon meeting on Roosevelt Boulevard.  Of course, those turned out to be empty promises..

This hiring deal sends another bad impression about what goes on in Middletown.  And, why is the City Council always asked to approve legislation on an EMERGENCY basis?  Maybe certain senior City staff should start having periodic DIALOGUE with the citizenry of Middletown?
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 11 2010 at 1:59pm
OK AJ and Josh. You and others adopted an ordinance proposed for emergency legislation by Landen, for the purpose of satisfying a Special Projects Manager to the Courts. You made this decision based on the info. provided from Landen in this post. Next thing everyone notices is that Schiavone is hired to fill the position without Council's knowledge. (Bet some on Council knew it was Schiavone before the hiring took place)

Question: Now that we know it is Schiavone who got a golden parachute after his stint on Council, and we know what kind of working background Schiavone has (ie- a supervisor in the court system, both in Mason and in Hamilton and, more recently, a real estate agent) and we know that he was dismissed from BOTH supervisor positions for performance issues/ goofing off on the job- (this is documented in previous Journal stories)--- who made the decision to hire him based on his qualifications/abilities to write court manuals on Emergency Preparedness, Continuity of Operations, Implementation of a Court Security Policy/ Procedures Manual, and what in his past working experience, gives him sole candidacy for this job over others? Does he really have the experience from his previous jobs to write this documentation? Perhaps a meeting with Rossi for an explanation on qualifications?????? Why did Rossi hire him with so much baggage, anyway? Hmmm.

A suggestion- in the future, when Landen asks for emergency legislation, instead of MOST OF COUNCIL, sitting there like a bump on a log, start asking why the emergency is needed, ask specifics about the necessity of the legislation, ask in-depth about the SPECIFICS AND INTENT of the legislation and ask who is currently being considered for the position. If a name like Schiavone pops up, bells and whistles should be going off and an immediate reluctance on your part should occur. Would also suggest that a clause be included to recind your decision to protect and correct any back room antics like this from happening and to lessen the hassle of future explanations.
LMAO View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LMAO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 11 2010 at 2:40pm
I think its time for ole Les and Ms Judy to pack there bags and move out of there postion's they hold. After they are gone then start working on Jimbob,and Billyboy. No wonder no bussiness wants to come to Middletucky we have a few clowns in office. All these so called "EMERGENCY" is just a crock of $$$T.Hope the  knew members can start putting the breaks on what has been happening in the city.But as of many,I wont believe it till I see it.Smile
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 11 2010 at 2:58pm

I have attempted to contact all council members to ask about this situation. I have spoken with a few and a few could not be reached or haven't returned my calls. Those I have spoken to are not happy about what looks like a trick being played on them and causing even more distrust by the citizens. The next council meeting should be very interesting.

Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 11 2010 at 3:35pm

Go figure how this happened what are Schiavones qualifications for this job? Just goes to show that anything is possible.Don't forget that Dave has a brother that is well known around these parts.

Bobbie View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 11 2010 at 3:40pm
Does anyone know what the standards are for something to considered an emergency legislation.  In hindsight - if this position is really needed, did it have to be declared an emergency.  Emergency should be more a life or death type of situation.  Not to get an ex counsil man a job. 
Randy can you list which ones you have spoken with and which ones have not returned your calls.  I would bet the ones that have not called you back are the ones that knew who was getting the job.
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 11 2010 at 4:18pm
why get bent out of shape by the sos?
we had 3 new Council members(1st meeting) who were suckered into a seemingly normal vote on a mandated situation(or so "they" say).

The ?s should probably directed at the judicial dept. and their hiring practices(particularly in this incident).
Our judge is an elected official(and a good, honest man) with the buck stopping at his desk.
He should be the "answer man" in this situation(as I see it).
This situation just came about.
I would expect answers/explanations to come, especially if the public continues to ? and turn up the heat(understandably).

Hey--maybe the guy will do a good job!!!! 
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 11 2010 at 4:26pm
Originally posted by Randy can you list which ones you have spoken with and which ones have not returned your calls.  I would bet the ones that have not called you back are the ones that knew who was getting the job.[/QUOTE Randy can you list which ones you have spoken with and which ones have not returned your calls.  I would bet the ones that have not called you back are the ones that knew who was getting the job.[/QUOTE wrote:

I will give the names of the ones that have not returned my calls after i feel they have had plenty of time to do so. But i will say so far it's the Standard names.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic