FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Conversation With a Council Member

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Conversation With a Council Member
    Posted: Dec 14 2010 at 4:18pm

I had a phone conversation with Vice Mayor Scott- Jones yesterday and I am sad to say that she has informed me that she will no longer take part in responding to questions asked of her on MUSA. She feels lines were crossed and things were said about her on a personal level. When I first meet Mrs. Scott-Jones and asked her to join us here and hear what the citizens had to say about decisions being made by council, she agreed and was the first and most frequent sitting council member to come to MUSA and answer questions.

I am sorry that she has made the choice to no longer take part. I did explain to her that things are said in the heat of the moment and that people are aggravated by the things council are doing. From the PAC deal, Cincy State and the last being the Union fiasco at the latest meeting. Added together people are up in arms with this council.

Anita and I had become friends over the years, friends aside I take this site and the right of the people to say what they feel, within the rules of the site very serious. I just wanted to inform all of you that do not expect her to return any time soon.

Call me for a www.CameraSecurityNow.com quote 513-422-1907 x357
wasteful View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wasteful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 14 2010 at 6:04pm
And how many times did we all hear during council meetings words to the affect of, "I don't care what people have to say or think".  Those were Mrs Scott-Jones famous last words over and over again.  I think lines are crossed many times in this city, but that hasn't stopped many of us from posting.  If you are that thinned skinned maybe it is time to get out of the game.  Obviously she did care and can't handle some who may cross the line in disagreeing with her.
Bill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 14 2010 at 7:16pm
Years ago someone in the public eye could avoid most criticism that wasn't in the newspaper.  Now with websites and blogs the temptation to check out what is being said is hard to ignore.

It's unfortunate that she won't respond anymore.  I will say she is a fine, dedicated member of council but think she creates some of her own problems with a frosty, demanding attitude toward people during council meetings as well as airing some of her own dirty laundry and problems when no one asked.  That laundry later gets thrown back in her face.
Smartman View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smartman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 14 2010 at 7:17pm
How right you are Wasteful. She does not like people disagreeing with her. I was not going to comment but saw this first hand. It  was a major retailer here in town. I was behind her in line at the customer service counnter and she did not get her way. She said to the clerk " Its obvious you do not know who I am! I am the Vice mayor of Middletown" Trying to throw her title around. Then she said Im going to call the Middletown Journal and report this lack of customer service.

Special treatment because you are Vice Mayor Ms. Jones? Really?? You are no better than AJ Smith. You need to go too!!  Bye Bye Now!!!!
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 14 2010 at 7:45pm
Liked Ms. Scott-Jones. Liked the way she asked questions and had the mini-battles with many on council about a variety of topics. I still think she is a breath of fresh air compared to Becker, Mulligan, Picard, or Allen. Perhaps that's not really saying alot. At least she didn't appear aloof on a consistent basis as they seem to do. Disagreed with some of her thinking on certain topics. She was always willing to talk to you. Let you have your say, then responded. Still, at times, if she wanted to play the role of representing the common citizen, would like to have had her offer more information to those common citizens for our understanding as to why the decisions were made as they were. She, along with Mr. Laubach, would have been a nice resource in the fight against the camp hell-bent on ruining this city, including the above-mentioned council members. Even though she has chosen not to participate here any longer, I do hope she continues her inquisitive nature on council. Perhaps someday, the truth about all that is hidden now, will be revealed by an honest group of people on council, instead of what we have now.
Bocephus View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bocephus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 14 2010 at 9:18pm
I say don't let the door hit you in the arse on the way out.
Mtown View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mtown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 14 2010 at 9:54pm
Another example how the MiddletownUSA regulars are focused on tearing the community apart for their own misguided personal gratification.

Businesses should boycott advertising on this site.
randy View Drop Down
MUSA Official
MUSA Official

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote randy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 14 2010 at 10:02pm
Mtown, why dont you boycott this site please!!!
Call me for a www.CameraSecurityNow.com quote 513-422-1907 x357
Nelson...Himself View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelson...Himself Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 15 2010 at 6:30am
I've grown to respect and support Josh Laubach because of his integrity, courage as well as fiscal responsibility.

This isn't true of three past members who exploited (not helped) city staff who tried to expose waste and mismanagement.

Their primary objectives were were mostly about ousting two high-ranking city staff and not to address millions in lost funds.

Then, there's a current member who betrayed the confidence of city staff who was being forced out because they knew too many secrets.

Stay the course, Josh!  Your one bright ray of hope in an otherwise dark, dismal sky hovering over all of us.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 15 2010 at 6:45am
Originally posted by Mtown Mtown wrote:

Another example how the MiddletownUSA regulars are focused on tearing the community apart for their own misguided personal gratification.

Businesses should boycott advertising on this site.

Here we go again with Mtown. Always trying to poke the bear through the bars aren't you?

How about using the same line from Mtown and putting a different spin on it.

"Another example how the city leaders are focused on tearing the community apart for their own personal anti-citizen agenda/misguided personal gratification." Amazing how you, Mtown, can look at the same situation and end up with a 180 degree view of what is happening. I know you don't know how to respond to questions, but here's one for you anyway. Is there ANYTHING the city leaders have done in the last 5 years, that you have disagreed with? Demolition perhaps? The train (that ain't coming now) land acquisitions? The business on the Vail alley that was to move to Central and the price paid to move that business + the questionable overpricing of that building? The lack of jobs, the poor roads, the cluster out by I-75? How about this Cincy State deal and the high risk it carries for the city should it fail? How about the freebie given to Verdin? Anything that frosts your monkey? OR, is it you really don't care one way or the other about the city, but rather, you are here just to cause a reaction and aggravate the MUSA folks? Do you have any intention of actually participating in a real discussion, or are you content to aggravate and offer little to nothing here? If you really believe the city is correct, offer your opinions and I'm sure you will find an ample number of people here that will participate with more than adequate data to back up their side of the story.

"Businesses should boycott this site" Nope, ain't gonna happen. Did you notice the number of members. That number has grown over the last 2 years and almost doubled. More factual reading here than the Journal. Not influenced by the city leaders here, unlike the Journal which constantly lays down and prints what they are told to print. The truth is, that as the word spreads about this site, people will get information here that they would never have gotten from the Journal. This site has become the new Journal as to what is really happening in this city and as the new member numbers grow, the site will become even more influential, especially with all the anger building with city government/city leaders. We will all watch the numbers grow. You can either join us, or stay with the eventual losers living at the city building. It is a matter of time before they hit the wall of reality. JMO
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelson...Himself Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 15 2010 at 7:10am
Mtown, Neil Barille, Murdock, Etc. --

Are you too quick in spewing negatives at MiddletownUSA contributors without knowing all of the facts first.

Do you have a tendency to criticize/belittle average Middletonians who are frustrated by local government?

Have you taken a look at recent and upcoming residential Butler County Tax Sale offerings lately?

Are you apprised of the multitudes of vacant, foreclosed residential properties still on the market?

What research have you done about time of residential listings on the market plus property value trends?

Please elaborate how the city's expenditure of $2,144,000+ in NSP funds are rejuvinating the housing market?

Only verifiable, market-based residential data is requested in your awaited responses!
Neil Barille View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neil Barille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 15 2010 at 7:30am

Nelson, the more you post robotically about NSP "waste", the more we see why you were fired.

Mtown View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mtown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 15 2010 at 8:38am
Nelson Himself
Is Barille correct?
Were you fired?
Is that why you are so obsessed with the NSP program?
Bobbie View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 15 2010 at 9:06am
Neil - Mtown,

Nelson has more integrety in one hand then either of the 2 of you put together.  He spoke about what was going on instead of being a robot and agreeing with everything.   Something I would doubt that the 2 of you would even understand.  I would much rather sleep at night knowing I stood up for the right.

As for Anita - Like any public figure there is going to be as many that despise you as like you.  You have to be thick skinned.  I must say, I appreciate the questions you ask, sometimes agree with you, sometimes don't.  By not posting because someone took a low jab at you is letting them win - you are better then that. 
Just like now - I am sure that Neil or Mtown will say something back at me for defending Nelson - but consider the source.  They won't bother me at all.
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 15 2010 at 9:12am
As for Ms. Jones, I really don't mind her taking her opinions and communications and moving it elsewhere. I have seen too many rolling eyes when Larry Mulligan speaks, and a degree of pontification on other matters. I view her nothing more than a city council person, elected to serve the people. If true what was stated above about an incident, all I can sayI personally, would be quite embarrassed to state to anyone I was a council man or woman, a city employee, or a Vice Maypr. These positions are "rodney Dangerfeld's"- they get no respect.

As for Mtown's post on Nelson Self, from my recollection Mtown, Mr. Self was forecd out of the position by revealing mismanagement, waste, and what has the underpinning of a "whistle blower". Under such consequence, he would be protected under Ohio law associated with whistle blwoing andretaliation in direct contradiction to public policy.

He should contact Ann Lugbill, a UVa law grad, who does extensive work in qui tam federal corruption and farud, including medicare/ medicaid. I suepect Mr. Self is not the first in the nation to be "down-sized", let go, terminated, or fired under a retalitory act. I have no facts, but that is my recollection of events as conveyed. 
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelson...Himself Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 15 2010 at 10:18am
Neal Barille and Mtown --

Tell us how the city's expenditure of $2,144,000+ in NSP funds are rejuvinating the housing market?

No character defamations; verifiable, market-based residential data is requested from your replies!
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 15 2010 at 11:04am
Nelson you know as well as I do that using $2.144 Million dollars in NSP funds to buy and rehab 15-20 houses is not going to revive the real estate market in Middletown, so why continue to harp on it constantly.  As a matter of fact not one Real estate agent that I have talked to is excited about the Middletown market and each has said the Middletown market will probably be the last to have any revival,if it has one at all.
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelson...Himself Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 15 2010 at 11:07am
Motown and Nil-Bore-Eel,

I began working for the city on 1/2/2007.

I inherited a budget where nearly 50% of HUD funds were spent for administration plus program
delivery (HUD term for other administrative costs).
It remained an administratively top-heavy situation until I resigned my position on 1/20/2009.
Note:  my supervisor and department head always had the final say on budgets and personnel.

Ginger Smith was named head of the new Community Revitalization Department on 8/15/2008.
From that time until the end of the year her salary/fringe benefits were quietly paid from Public Works
Enterprise Funds!

Beginning 1/2009 her salary/fringe benefits (substantially higher than mine) began being paid out of
HUD funds.
Without a reduction in her staff, this meant that more than 60% of HUD funds would be spent for
administration plus program delivery!

At the time I departed Ginger Smith planned to work two more years before retiring at her significanlty
higher salary.
Only two plus weeks later Doug Adkins was transferred to be her special assistant.
Three weeks after that Ginger Smith suddenly and unexpectedly announced her retirement from city
employment effective the end of March.
Doug Adkins was then named Interim Director of the department and the rest is history.

Only certain senior staff knows all of the hidden details of these backroom personnel manueverings.
My hope is that these city staff will someday soon get a harsh taste of her own reprehensible actions!
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelson...Himself Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 15 2010 at 11:40am
I knew that I could count on you Pacman to post another less than favorable critique of me.
Isn't it you who always reminds us about waste and mismanagement of government funds?
Are you telling us that you're satisfied with the expenditure and impact of NSP-funded activities here?

May I remind you that the city had an alternative HUD-approved plan for using of millions of NSP funds.
It projected 75 purchase/rehab projects instead of only 11 costly purchase/rehab/resale ventures.
Most importantly, it would preclude the city from expanding its' involvement in real estate purchases.

Do I know you?  If so, why do you appear to have an axe to grind?
Is your office close to the intersection of Roosevelt and Breiel Boulevard?
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 15 2010 at 11:55am
Nelson it is not a critique.  It is a fact that this amount of money and 11 houses is not going to revive the Real estate Market in Middletown.   If they had purchased 75 low income houses and moved in 75 low income families the local market still would not have been revived.  No matter how you cut it rehabbing 11 homes or 75 or 175 houses when you have 2-3000 houses that need to come down, about 1000 in some state of foreclosure and the rest of the headaches that Middletown is plagued with many which are just glossed over by local leaders and admin, $2.144 Million is a drop in the bucket as far as the amount of money Middletown needs to right itself.  No matter how many times you post your NSP tales and complain about me it will not change the facts. Nelson.  I have no axe to grind, some of us just get tired of the same old post, when you know most people on here probably have no clue what you are even talking about.  Do you know me no.  Breiel and Roosevelt no.

Me an axe to grind you have to be kidding.  You are the one grinding the axe and by the way if you feel the city had a HUD approved plan for 75 homes and has somehow gone off on their own spending these NSP funds file a complaint with HUD.  Bet you find they are within the guidelines as set forth by HUD., but you never know.
LMAO View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LMAO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 15 2010 at 3:14pm
Its no big suprise that she has done this.IMO as soon as she got asst.mayor she went to the dark side.She cares so much about the people of Middletucky.Hogwash.She cares only how she can advance in the political spotlight.Talks from both sides of her mouth.Smile
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 15 2010 at 4:07pm
Nelson, it is not a surpise nor shock, anything the city would do albeit underhanded, in their self interest, or unethical wold surprise anyone the the city. You have keen insight, and if I may offer what I can constructively, put Middletown behind you as best you can. There isn't anyone but a select few, who haven't dealt with the "gotcha" mentalility of the city. There is no one in city hall nor council, who is worth having your life any further nagatively impacted. Do some consulting work for a municality, the feds, HUD, as you have enormous knowledge in this area.

As for Ginger Smith, I am uncertain what you are stating. Is it illegal and violation of state statutes to have her move to that position? Was it motivated solely to enhance her retirement, like council did the favor for terribly unqualified Bill Becker, and if so, and I may be misunderstanding your point, but then what you are stating is someone at the city took action, either realied she was over her head, or was not going to allow someone unqulaified to run that department. Or maybe she simply wanted to retire? Or, maybe an internal battle between Mr. Adkins and the legal team against Public Works. I have no idea.

But, for the sake of your continued health, put Middletown behind you. If you have a cause of action, pursuit it. You may be outside the statute of limitations and I've read enough of your scenario to know you feel you were unfairly retaliated, but you hve talents in housing, have recourse if wronged (and within the statute of limitations), and this city is not worth having your blood pressure or mental health and anxiety impacted by those the majority know have caused ruin and destruction to their own personal assets. Middletown will take decades to recover, if it ever does. Ohio also is in dire shape. We all know that.

The recession was the greatest blessing the city workers  ever had, but it will be drying up. If you know of specific malfeasance or illegal activities, there are many mechanisms available to report that to those whom will/ would take action.     
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelson...Himself Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 15 2010 at 4:13pm
Originally posted by Nelson...Himself Nelson...Himself wrote:

May I remind you that the city had an alternative HUD-approved plan for using of millions of NSP funds.  It projected 75 purchase/rehab projects instead of only 11 costly purchase/rehab/resale ventures.  Most importantly, it would preclude the city from expanding its' involvement in real estate purchases.

Pacman --

I prepared the alternative concept plan and gave it to Ginger Smith 30+ days prior to the HUD grant
submission deadline (late October 2008).  It had been reviewed by NSP staff in Washington, D.C. and
determined to be in full compliance with prevailing rules and regulations.  Unfortunately, this NSP
concept was ignored with the eventual grant application (prepared by an Illinois-based consultant)
being sent to the Columbus Field Office instead.

The above is yet another example of the city's continuing waste  tax dollars on consultants.  Pacman,
I thought you'd want to know since your knowledge of HUD programs is growing exponentially.  In my
defense, I only have more than 30+ years of experience that dates back to the early 1970's.
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelson...Himself Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 15 2010 at 4:43pm
Acclaro,

I thank you greatly for your advice and concern.

People like Vivian Moon, VietVet, John Soppanish, Bert Grimes, , Bobbie, Suzanne  Hayes, Hermes,
Tom Rapp, Walter Leap, Debbi Fish, you and several others have helped me so much during these past
two difficult years.

I've only attempted to provide verifiable facts on local expenditures of HUD funds.  I've only attempted to provide insight into the prevailing culture and motivations of some senior staff inside city hall.

I wish those citizens who seek transparency, honesty and competence in local government the best.

NRS
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 15 2010 at 7:30pm
Originally posted by Nelson...Himself Nelson...Himself wrote:

[
Pacman --

I prepared the alternative concept plan and gave it to Ginger Smith 30+ days prior to the HUD grant
submission deadline (late October 2008).  It had been reviewed by NSP staff in Washington, D.C. and
determined to be in full compliance with prevailing rules and regulations.  Unfortunately, this NSP
concept was ignored with the eventual grant application (prepared by an Illinois-based consultant)
being sent to the Columbus Field Office instead.

The above is yet another example of the city's continuing waste  tax dollars on consultants.  Pacman, I thought you'd want to know since your knowledge of HUD programs is growing exponentially.  In my defense, I only have more than 30+ years of experience that dates back to the early 1970's.

Nelson, no need to defend yourself we are all aware of what your job was at City Hall.  Since you have the expertise in HUD matters you most definitely know where and whom to see to get answers to your questions.  I would suggest that since this is a burning matter with you, that you seek out the appropriate personnel in Columbus, Cleveland and Washington D.C. if need be to get your answers.  Then you will be able to come back to MiddletownUSA with the answers to your questions and this matter can be put to rest.  I would appreciate your taking on this endeavor so that you may further educate all of us on these matters.

Thank you
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic