FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SB 5 Petition Signatures

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 19 2011 at 9:34pm
Originally posted by Bocephus Bocephus wrote:

Originally posted by middletownscouter middletownscouter wrote:

Bocephus, which middle class jobs are being stolen away from Americans by illegal immigrants?

Millions of illegal immigrants in this Country willing to work for lower wages lowers working men and womens ability to earn a liveable wage.Once they gain legal (status which is what this administration wants to grant them) then they can compete even more with American citizens for jobs not to mention the 150,000 or so a month of legal immigrants that come here every month for jobs I wonder where they all work at?when millions of Americans are unemployed? So lets see hmmm...Maybe by flooding our economy with cheaper foreign labor? Hope that answers your question.

Truer words were never spoken Bo, particularly in Tucson Arizona. We moved there in 2004-2005. I searched for a decent paying job ($15-$20/hour) with benefits for 8 months before giving up and we came back to Ohio. What we found was that the illegals (and legals) were willing to work long hard hours for less pay than the American worker. The employer knew this and knew that they could hire legals (and illegals) at a lesser pay rate, didn't have to provide benefits, thereby not having to incur the cost of the premium coverage. This whole scenario drove down the wages and started a trend whereby employers stopped offering paid benefits. If you wanted medical coverage, they offered it, but you paid for it, if you could with the lousy hourly rate paid. If you opted to accept the wages offered to the legals/illegals, you couldn't afford the cost of living in Tucson. Only a small number of places to work that provided both.....U.of Arizona Medical Research Center, the hospitals, and Ratheon and you had a snowball's chance in hell getting into one of those places. The majority were low paying service jobs paying in the $6 to $10/hour range and no bennies. Bottom line....illegals do drive down wages, resulting in poor selection of decent jobs in an area and employers take advantage of the situation....for sure in Tucson.
gemneye70 View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gemneye70 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 20 2011 at 2:06pm

Both parties claim they have the interests of the "common" man at heart, but they are both beholden to special interests, and say f**k everyone else any chance they get.  Neither side is willing to actually work together to fix our nation's problems, and there are many, or to make tough decisions because it will cost them votes.

I think there is enough blame to go around without oversimplyfying things and blaming everything on 1 or 2 institutions alone, i.e., unions, banks.  We have messed things up together, we need to make it right again together.  Country before party, not the other way around.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 21 2011 at 6:36am
Today's Journal....

SB5: Trust big issue between unions, governments
Cities, unions wary of each other as they await a decision by voters

David Lippert, president of Hamilton Caster, said whatever happens with the referendum on SB 5, the public will see increased costs, decreased services, or both.

“It’s a question of balance,” he said. “Everyone gets impacted. If an entity goes broke, that will impact the community negatively. If there’s a cutback in services or if costs go out of sight, that will be a negative impact.”

Lippert, whose company has unionized employees, said in the public sector, there is a check on costs because he can only sell his product for what the market will bear.

“There doesn’t seem to be much of a check on the costs of public employees,” he said.

Lippert said there needs to be better checks on the benefits that public employees receive in terms of wages, step increases, vacation and sick time as well as with the binding arbitration provisions.

TONYB- LIPPERT'S COMMENT BELOW IS WHAT I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO SAY IN ALL OF MY POSTS.

“From everything I’ve read, public employees in general are pretty well compensated compared to their private sector counterparts,” he said
TonyB View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 21 2011 at 8:29am
Vet,

I would have hoped that our elected officials and the people who negotiate with the public employees unions would provide those checks. Based on the competence with which the city has pursued the Cincy State deal, it's a wonder that they don't have even better benefits!!!
Mike_Presta View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike_Presta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 28 2011 at 10:57pm
Holy cow!!!
Did I just read VietVet defending the REPUBLICANS about 15 or so post up above??? LOL LOL LOL

Politics certainly DO make strange bedfellows!!!
“Mulligan said he ... doesn’t believe they necessarily make the return on investment necessary to keep funding them.” …The Middletown Journal, January 30, 2012
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 29 2011 at 6:27am
Originally posted by Mike_Presta Mike_Presta wrote:

Holy cow!!!
Did I just read VietVet defending the REPUBLICANS about 15 or so post up above??? LOL LOL LOL

Politics certainly DO make strange bedfellows!!!

Yep....I'm all for leveling the playing field between union and non-union shops and if this bill does that, then I'm all for it. Tired of paying into a fund through my payroll taxes that help finance public union workers who pay less into their bennies/retirement than I do and have as good of a benny package as I do. I gotta help my employer with costs by paying part of my premiums at work and some of their's too? Bullsh--! The old bring home pay in the old check looks a little more skimpy these days. Wonder what their's looks like in comparison? Ain't nobody looking out for the non-union worker. Never has been.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic