Google+ and Facebook

Home | Yearly News Archive | Advertisers | Blog | Contact Us
Tuesday, May 14, 2024
FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2012 HUD ANNUAL ACTION PLAN

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
digger-2 View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digger-2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 31 2012 at 10:27pm
My properties are very well maintained and the tenants I have are decent citizens.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 31 2012 at 6:49pm
DIgger,

You seem to suffer from the amnesia that LH4 and a few others on here have. 
1.) are you a section 8 landlord?
2.) do you live in Middletown?

PacmanCool
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 31 2012 at 6:16am
Originally posted by digger-2 digger-2 wrote:

How very sad that you've been so quick to pass judgement on just about everyone for the past three plus years.  Why don't you try a little kindness every once in awhile.  You might appreciate the results.  And, remember, not all landlords and S8 voucher holders break the law or mooch off of the federal dole.
KINDNESS AND NOT CONDEMNATION IS MY WISH FOR YOU !!!

digger,I think everyone on this forum realizes that there are people who fall on hard times and need some help once in a while. I have fallen on some hard times in the last three years with my wife having a stroke and needing someone to watch her while I run errands...however, unlike the Section 8'ers, can't get the help I need. All another story.

What angers many in society is that there are people who are sponging off the taxpayers and have been doing it for years. They stay at home smoking their cigarettes and drinking the booze while watching the high def TV, while us taxpaying fools go to work everyday, have forced taxes taken out of our paychecks which support these lazy worthless sponges. Kindness? Would be more of it if we weren't reminded of the aforementioned sponges. Condemnation will remain until the system is cleaned up, all people living off the taxpayers are audited, monitored and cleared with the bums immediately thrown off the program to fend for themselves or die trying. No mercy for the people who are not honest. THAT'S what is wrong with all these social programs today. Worthwhile intent, but dishonesty soon rears it's ugly head and the scammers come out of the gutter to collect. Section 8 might not be so bad, if you limit the number of vouchers which limit the impact in the community. Since the program inception, Middletown has WAAAYYYY more vouchers than they should have for a town this size and it has had a noticible negative impact on the community and the schools. JMO
digger-2 View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digger-2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 30 2012 at 11:41pm
How very sad that you've been so quick to pass judgement on just about everyone for the past three plus years.  Why don't you try a little kindness every once in awhile.  You might appreciate the results.  And, remember, not all landlords and S8 voucher holders break the law or mooch off of the federal dole.
KINDNESS AND NOT CONDEMNATION IS MY WISH FOR YOU !!!
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 28 2012 at 9:34pm
Originally posted by Pacman Pacman wrote:

New york Times - December 18, 2009

Thousands Lose Rent Vouchers in Cutback

One of the key housing programs that helps low-income and other needy New Yorkers afford their apartments has been effectively cut off for thousands of families.

City officials announced Thursday that they had stopped issuing new federal rent subsidy vouchers and were terminating the vouchers of 3,000 families who had yet to fully use them. They said they were taking those steps because of federal budget cuts and an increased demand for the vouchers in today’s economy.

OVERSIGHT,

The above quote spefically explains why the vouchers were terminated.  No one was thrown out of their housing, these vouchers were vouchers that had not been fully used.

Middletown's plan is to terminate vouchers as they are no longer in use.  It is not to throw anyone out of their housing.  The last Middletown Public Housing Authority had a hot and heavy confersation before council a woman stood up and stated she had been on Section 8 for 9 years.  She appeared to be in her 40's.  She also stated she was a loan processing agent.  There is only one reason I can see being on Section 8 for 9 years, You are divorced and have too many kids or you are not married and have too many kids. 9 years is tooo long to be on Section 8. 

Many of you people on here do not seem to understand the consequences of having an excessive amount of Section 8 in a city where there are no jobs and will not be a large enough amount of jobs that pay well to support the residents here in the forseeable future.  Excessive section 8 effects the education system, the attractive of businesses to Middletown, & properties values.  Section 8 places a strain on public safety and all services provided by the city.  the negatives go on and on while the positives are minimal.

PacmanCool
Vivian Moon View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 28 2012 at 12:13pm

Digger-2
Thanks for telling the rest of the story.
It is clear that everyone connected with City Hall “was asleep at the wheel”.

digger-2 View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digger-2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 28 2012 at 12:04pm
Going back to the 1970's, the city mostly ignored older, declining neighborhoods in favor of the Donham Plaza redevelopment plus the former downtown mall construction.  Millions of tax dollars were spent on these projects while home ownership rates and property conditions in residential portions of Wards 2 and 1 (part) plummeted.

The addition of Section 8 vouchers was viewed as a last resort to stabilize bad property conditions for rental properties in the above-noted areas.  This was a too late cause and effect theory.  The damage was already done.

Government intervention is most times not the solution.  Too bad that more private sector thinking wasn't present over the past 40 years.  Before condemning Section 8 and landlords, I suggest that you look at history and how misguided plans brought all of this about.

Will the Community Demolition Director's plans to demolish hundreds of homes in Wards 2 and 1 (part) create an environment that will promote enhanced home ownership plus ongoing property maintenance?  The waste of millions of HUD funds recently has compounded an already bad situation.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 28 2012 at 7:19am
“It is shocking that the New York City Housing Authority is breaking its word to over 3,000 Section 8 voucher holders,” said City Councilman Bill de Blasio, a Democrat from Brooklyn.

Steven Banks, the attorney in chief for the Legal Aid Society, said the agency’s actions would swell the city’s family shelter system.

The Manhattan borough president, Scott M. Stringer, called for members of the authority’s governing board to resign. “I have a hunch that we’re about to be dealing with ‘Vouchergate,’ which is why we need city legislative hearings immediately,” Mr. Stringer said.

JUST WONDERING IF BILL DE BLASIO, STEVEN BANKS AND SCOTT M. STRINGER AND ANY OTHER "VOUCHER/SECTION 8/HELP 'EM OUT" PROPONENTS WOULD WELCOME THESE SAME PEOPLE INTO THEIR NEIGHBORHOOD OR GIVE THEM A ROOM TO SLEEP IN THEIR HOUSE? ALOT OF COMPASSIONATE TALK AND OUTRAGE HERE FOR THE LACK OF SUPPORT FOR THE POOR FROM THESE PEOPLE, BUT WHEN PUSH COMES TO SHOVE, ME THINKS THE MOUTH IS OVERLOADING THE BUTT A BIT. WONDERING HOW MANY SECTION 8 HOUSES ARE IN THEIR NEIGHBORHOOD?
OVER SIGHT View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OVER SIGHT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 27 2012 at 11:35pm
HELL IN NEW YORK THERE WAS AN OUTRAGE OVER A SECTION 8 REDUCTION A FEELING OF FAILURE ON THE PART OF THE ELECTED OVERSIGHT COMMITTEE EVEN A TERMINATION OF THE HEAD OF STAFF. I FEEL FOR THE 3000 SCARED FAMILIES THAT THOSE VOUCHERS HELPED. WELL HERE IN MIDDLETOWN AT THE LAST SECTION 8 MEETING WHEN THE VOTE WAS TO GO AHEAD WITH 1000 VOUCHER REDUCTION I THOUGHT I HEARD A SINGLE CLAP IN THE AUDIENCE BOY I WONDER WHO THAT WAS?

Elected officials and advocates for low-income housing expressed outrage over the move and criticized the authority for failing to do enough to prevent 3,000 families from losing the vouchers they had been given.

THIS IS WHAT WAS AT THE BOTTOM OF THE ARTICLE YOU POSTED IF ANYBODY BOTHERED TO READ ALL OF IT.
Elected officials and advocates for low-income housing expressed outrage over the move and criticized the authority for failing to do enough to prevent 3,000 families from losing the vouchers they had been given.

“It is shocking that the New York City Housing Authority is breaking its word to over 3,000 Section 8 voucher holders,” said City Councilman Bill de Blasio, a Democrat from Brooklyn.

Steven Banks, the attorney in chief for the Legal Aid Society, said the agency’s actions would swell the city’s family shelter system.

The Manhattan borough president, Scott M. Stringer, called for members of the authority’s governing board to resign. “I have a hunch that we’re about to be dealing with ‘Vouchergate,’ which is why we need city legislative hearings immediately,” Mr. Stringer said.
over the hill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 25 2012 at 4:37pm
I AGREE COMPLETLY THE PROGRAM SHOULD BE FOR THOSE IN NEED NOT A WAY OF LIFE
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 25 2012 at 3:40pm
Originally posted by over the hill over the hill wrote:

why has our city admin. been so fixated on the sec8 program instead of facing real problems of our city? the best way to reduce the number of vouchers is to reduce the need for them. that can be done with a four letter word JOBS!!! IS THIS ALL a smoke screen to hide their real inablity to move this city forward?

Interesting wording here over the hill. Given the stereotypical Section 8 handout recipient, I would hazard to guess that if this city provided those receiving taxpayer handouts jobs, we would still have a certain percentage that wouldn't work and be part of the solution and continue to be part of the problem. I would imagine we have some folks on Section 8 that actually need some help.......but should only be given that help for a short period of time.... not taking an endless handout and not making a career of scamming the taxpayer. It is the career Section 8 people that really need to be booted out to fend for themselves. The best way to reduce the vouchers is to slowly dissolve the program entirely and force the moochers to fend for themselves......or starve trying. Having compassion for people who really need the help is honorable. Having compassion for people who won't help themselves is being a fool and we taxpayers have been fools for far too long with some of these people. Screen 'em, weed 'em out and monitor the ones remaining. JMO
Bill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 25 2012 at 2:58pm
...and the Sec 8 landlord trolls continue to come out into daylight and try to change the subject. 
over the hill View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote over the hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 25 2012 at 2:47pm
why has our city admin. been so fixated on the sec8 program instead of facing real problems of our city? the best way to reduce the number of vouchers is to reduce the need for them. that can be done with a four letter word JOBS!!! IS THIS ALL a smoke screen to hide their real inablity to move this city forward?
digger-2 View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digger-2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 25 2012 at 10:18am
Name the one MUSA participant who has always complimented the Community Development Prosecutor and blames everyone else for our Section 8 problems?
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 24 2012 at 11:31pm

Pacman
I’m not blaming the Inspection Group for this problem, however they were part of this mess. The inspection of Section 8 properties and the completion of the paperwork in a timely manner is critical to the tenant and the landlords.

I agree vivian,  Although I believe the issue was computer compatiblity among the 3 companies
Mr. Adkins hired the Inspection Group while CONSOC had the Section 8 Program and it was a mess. When Nelson & Assoc took over the program they were using the Inspection Group and that didn’t work out either. The inspections are currently being completed by Chase Construction of Blue Ash,
Ohio. I believe that the City received 3 or 4 bids for the Section 8 Program and Nelson was chosen. 
Vivian n the beginning there were 3 original bids, CONSOC, Nelson & Assc. and one other.  CONSOC was the highest and I believe it was schivione and Marconi who pushed for CONSOC

And I totally agree with you. The city should never have requested the last 800 vouchers. I would agree with this except the # should be 1200 not 800

The market value of any product is what the public is willing to pay for it.
How do you know Slumlords don't own section 8 housing?
Do you know all 500+ landlords personally?
I stand corrected…No I do not know all 500 landlords. Vivian, If you give me some time, I'll dig out my list of all 500+ Sections 8 landlords Middletown.  Or if you like it quicker contact Mike P and have it email it you.  It is about 500 pages long

The city is not investigating Section 8…it is my understanding this is being done by HUD. If this is a HUD issue in dealing with Defraudin the federal goverment, wouldn't this case be down in Cincinnati rather than in Middletown?  If I were filing fraudlent tax returns with the IRS and receiving checks, would that not also go to a federal court.  Not sure, just wondering??

Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 24 2012 at 11:16pm
LH4,

You said you had no problem answering any questions,  you obviously do.  You talk like a landlord, act like a landlord and avoid saying your actually a landlord that you live in Middletown.  Why the refusal to answer these simply questions as you said you would?? Are you ashamed of being a Landlord?  As far as living in Middletown, are you ashamed of what you helped to create or do you only owe section 8 housing in Middletown and live elsewhere that doesn't have section 8 housing. 

About the schools, When people move to this city, they usually look at the overall score for the entire school district.  Middletown comes in last every year for the county. and is going in reverse as far as indicators go.  this scares off many new residents unless they figure out they can do what i did with my son and send him out of the district.

You should look in the past when the city has sent out letters to resident about rusty gutters, broken windows, peeling paint etc;  Insisting on repairs.  Unless you file a complaint about your neighbor who is not on section 8 the city will most likely not look into the issue.

section 8 homes are inspected regularly as has been stated on this forum, that is not a city rule, that is a HUD rule.

PacmanCool
spiderjohn View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiderjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 24 2012 at 9:09pm
yes pacman my friend
Mr.Kohler should be the first to go
The fact that he remains speaks loudly of admin's priorities and true intent
This situation was brought on by a LARGE #  of city administrators and elected officials over an extended period of time. The long-term results have destroyed our community and made us the area poster child for what NOT to be.

I honestly like Marty as a person, but strongly disagree with his policies.
Amazing how some people are allowed to retire at their discretion, while others(like Mr.Tracy) are arrested.

MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 24 2012 at 8:23pm

Pacman

It's like ganny said..if you poke a big stick in a hornets nest be prepared to be stung.

I can’t wait to read Mr. Adkins answer to HUD.
I believe that Mr. Picard understands the legal problems that could be caused by these actions.   

MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vivian Moon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 24 2012 at 8:04pm

Vivian, I find it hard to believe that you continue to blame the Inspection group. 
Pacman
    I’m not blaming the Inspection Group for this problem, however they were part of this mess.
The inspection of Section 8 properties and the completion of the paperwork in a timely manner is critical to the tenant and the landlords.

As far as CONSOC goes, I believe they were given a 6 month notice that their contract would not be renewed.  Nelson and assoc were just a replacement for CONSOC, If I remember correctly there wasn't was bidding process to replace CONSOC
Mr. Adkins hired the Inspection Group while CONSOC had the Section 8 Program and it was a mess. When Nelson & Assoc took over the program they were using the Inspection Group and that didn’t work out either. The inspections are currently being completed by Chase Construction of Blue Ash, Ohio. I believe that the City received 3 or 4 bids for the Section 8 Program and Nelson was chosen.

I'll give you the main problem between all parties was a communications problems.  As far as CONSOC goes, I watch every meeting for a couple of years (many were painful to watch, the problem with CONSOC in my opinion, is they were running the program for far too many year and they given free rein

I’m sorry to tell you but Mr. Kohler was in total control of the program and all actions taken by CONSOC. I believe this buck stops at Mr. Kohler’s desk since he was the man being paid the big bucks to run the program.

As HUD told Mr Adkins HE Can Not use this international Inspection Standards for inspection of Section 8 Units?  If HUD hasn't told him he can't do it, then there is no issues. 
Pacman this is a difficult question to answer because HUD uses different requirements for different units. Example: Public Housing is held to a different standard of inspection.

Does the city not use these same rules for inspecting everyone house in Middletown if called out for a violation?
Hmmm…I know that this rule applies to local businesses. I’m not sure that this would apply to the inside of privately owned dwelling.

Vivian, Find me a community which has more vouchers per citizens than Middletown (1 per 28 or 29 Citizens) and I may agree with you. To save you some trouble I've already researched NY, LA and many cities and not been able to find 1 that has come close to Middletown's ratio. To me this is excessive. When you have cities like Kettering that have 7 Section 8 housing units. I said a city of about 48,000 people with 1662 vouchers is accessive.
And I totally agree with you. The city should never have requested the last 800 vouchers.

Vivian, Public Auctions are not Market rate. 
The market value of any product is what the public is willing to pay for it.
How do you know Slumlords don't own section 8 housing?
 Do you know all 500+ landlords personally?
I stand corrected…No I do not know all 500 landlords.

If these four crimes are proven to be true, why would HUD take any action against the city at all. The City has taken the time and money to investigate these allegations and I'm sure HUD is aware of the issue already.

The city is not investigating Section 8…it is my understanding this is being done by HUD.

LH4 View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LH4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 24 2012 at 6:33pm
Pacman

Since you have been to all the meetings... Did you know that the city will send a landlord a letter for something they see wrong on a property.? No letter will be sent to the home owner two doors down with windows broken, etc...
Before you say it... I think it should ALL be fixed.
The regular home owners will not do a thing..Some do not have the money. So what will the city do ? Nothing...enjoy looking at it!
LH4 View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LH4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 24 2012 at 6:18pm
Pacman

You said 1/3 of the children.
What about the schools that are in areas where no section 8 children live???
Why then are they not meeting the standards? If so barely..

Like I've said before...If you have children that IS the first thing you look at when choosing a new city!!!
LH4 View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LH4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 24 2012 at 6:12pm
Pacman

In the past someone on here thought it was a good idea to list all the properties that certain people owned...which was NOT accurate information. Of course no one listed what amount of money was put into a building or house! Because you do not know.

Once again, you do not address the effect of the cause!
I do not need anything simplified.

You can go to every meeting you would like.. and you will hear what they want you to hear.
If the city makes it harder for landlords to rent their properties that THEY wanted landlords to buy and fix up...you will see more slumlords and run down properties.

As far as me being a landlord... you are so concerned if I am or not. Why? I might tell the facts of the other side? That should not be a issue.    
Middletown29 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Middletown29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 24 2012 at 6:03pm
Kohler is retiring at the end of this year. Hopefully he takes Gilliland with him.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 24 2012 at 5:37pm
Once again LH4,
You didn't answer my question.  Let me simply it for you.
1.)
are you a Section 8 Landlord?

2.) do you live in the city of Middletown?
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 24 2012 at 5:14pm
Spider,

What about Marty Kohler?

should he be first to go?

Section 8 is the problem when it is over saturated in a city the size of Middletown in the condition that it is in.

Most of people resonsible for Section 8 are long gone from City hall.  When Judy G first took over as City manager, one of her first Manager report to the city council was to due away with Section 8 in Middletown.  Later she discover it easy said than done.  Doug Adkins, once he was put in charge of Section 8, I personally believe he has made an honest effort in attempting to reduce the # of vouchers in Middletown. 

Noone in City hall has mentioned anything about throwing any one off their vouchers.  The reduction in vouchers is to be done through attrition.  Not to just rush in and throw 1000 voucher holders out in the street.

Excessive Section 8 is a multi faceted problem. 

Some of the problems are:

1.) with about 1/3 of the students in the school system on Section 8 this negatively impacts the scholl systems.  I am not saying all kids contribute to the problem, but when you have 1800-1900 hundred students whose families are on section 8 many cause additional issues for the school system, which results in the low performance of Middletown schools.  Then when you take into acc**t the other 50%of the population which lives below the poverty level in Middletown, your problems at the schools multiply.
2.) consumers with disposable income.  Disposable income in Middltown is low compared to many other cities due to Section 8, due to 60% of the popluation living below the poverty level.  now I realize the low poverty helps some of your businesses, but for the rest of us it henders new businesses moving to Middletown.
3.) Many not all section 8 residents are not law abiding citizens you should know this as well as anybody else. If Section 8 voucher holders are not criminals who's conning the landlords. 

PacmanCool
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic