FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Middletown to cut 26 first responders

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
ktf1179 View Drop Down
MUSA Citizen
MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ktf1179 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Middletown to cut 26 first responders
    Posted: Oct 31 2013 at 8:03am
I saw this on the morning news on Channel 2 WDTN talking about Police and Fire Fighters cuts.

http://www.wdtn.com/news/ohio/middletown-to-cut-26-first-responders
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 31 2013 at 9:13am
Now wait a minute. That's more than has been discussed isn't it? Still waiting to hear from Gilleland on how many Directors, Managers, Assist. Managers and Supervisors she will include in her budget cuts. The last I saw in Public Works, she had 2 or 3 managers supervising 2 or 3 workers. If this is a standard practice in her city building, the hierarchy is WAYYYYY too top heavy. Unload the big salaries in management admin. paper shufflers and keep the fire and police folks. How many fire and police Captains and Lt.s do we have in each dept? Do they contribute out in the field or do they stay in the office and do paperwork? Are they needed in the number that is currently staffed? Will they go out in the field if you cut the officers and fire dept. folks?

Whenever there are cuts to be made, be it public or private sectors, they always seem to decimate the worker bees and barely touch the management drones. Cut one manager....save two workers.
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 31 2013 at 11:12am
These actions by the public  safety unions do more harm to publicizing Middletown's problems in a 20 minute press conference and accompanying news coverage than all efforts to spend money for downtown glorification, open fresh vegetable 'farmers' markets, build a UDF, PAC, new schools, restore Sorg, have Middletown Christmas songs and cd's, and pay young professionals to move to 'upscale' downtown.

When one wakes up daily, you should realize in Middletown, you are on a train without a conductor, a plane without a pilot.

How Dan Picard could rally with those bringing such negative visibility to Middletown is astonishing. The contract doesn't end until 2014; what does this reflect to business and individuals who see this on the news? Simple----stay away from Middletown, it has bad schools, high crime, poverty of nearly 69% in the school district, roads that are unsafe and in disrepair, and public servants highlighting crime and how bad it will be with reductions.

Bright Future doesn't fly when you have public servants with mouthpieces stating the city is going to have even more explosive crime, when it is already nearly 5x the Ohio and national average.

Exit stage right....fast.    
'An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.' - Winston Churchill
AKBobby View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKBobby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 31 2013 at 11:23am
that's a fair question Vet and a good one ---- I know the MPD has one chief, two deputy chiefs and four shift lieutenants and 9 street sergeants. They have cut three supervisor positions in the last ten years. The sergeants and three lieutenants are all field supervisors which means there are three on each shift and they do handle calls, disturbances and all the good stuff that happens in Middletown. One of the sergeants is the vice squad supervisor and is a field worker too.

The only paper shufflers as you call it in the pd are the Chief and two deputy chiefs. each deputy chief has their own divisions. one is in charge of patrol (the biggest part), dispatch, chaplain program and red light cameras and the other one has the jail, detectives and records. There used to be three deputy chiefs in the 90s and they cut that one and a lieutenant.

That's the big diffferenc between MPD and a lot of places. the supervisors generally are working field supervisors and stop cars, handle reports and also supervise.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 31 2013 at 11:39am
AKBobby:

"The only paper shufflers as you call it in the pd are the Chief and two deputy chiefs."

So, the Lt's, Sgt's and the patrol officers handle the field work out in the streets. Between the Lt's, Sgt's and officers, how many are working the streets per shift to cover the city? How many does the city want to cut from each shift and what will be left "uncovered" in the city that is now accounted for? How much time is taken from city coverage for the police personnel to go to court to testify? Is it a significant amount of time taken out of a normal weeks work?

Are the detectives overloaded with work or could they be back out on the street as patrol officers if the cuts become too much to overcome?
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
AKBobby View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKBobby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 31 2013 at 11:51am
Vet Im getting this from my brother so if its not 100% accurate I apologize in advance

There is a lieutenant and two sergeant on each shifts. Between the three of them and their two days off per week, they always have the shift covered. I don't think any supervisor wuld be cut due to police work being high liability in everything. But any cuts to lower seniority people that means those supervisors would have to pick up the xtra work. I was told the MPD had over 55000 calls last year so that's a lot to cover per shift. Not sure about how detectives work. I know detectives was cut already and they lost a juvenile officer along with a regular detective to work cases.  I do know the officers spend an ungodly amount of time in court but that's out of their hands as they have to do what the court orders them to do. That's a great point though on your part

I guess detectives could go back to the road patrol but that means those types of followup cases would not get followed up. Yes. I have family on there but I also know they are understaffed as is most places. I don't know what the answer is. I know they too concessions in raises the last few years but cant tell you how much or what.
AK - What is going on with that?
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 31 2013 at 11:53am
Solutions to:

1- Police: Butler Cty Sheriff

2- Fire: Volunteer Fire Force, outsourcing EMT

Painless (with exception of pecking order for promotion).

BTW, if you eliminate staff in these areas, with the exception of the two solutions provided; don't you increase OVERTIME? 
'An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.' - Winston Churchill
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 31 2013 at 12:02pm
Butler County Sheriff......Volunteer Fire......

I see the response time being atrocious and unacceptable in very quick time. How would an emergency medical issue be handled and what would the response time increase be? If that ever occurred, I could see a lawsuit or two against the city if there is a death attributed to extremely long waits. I know of one that would happen immediately.
eastsider View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eastsider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 31 2013 at 2:42pm
Acclaro
Are you serious? Your response/suggestion is asinine! Are you blind to the ridiculous and unnecessary spending going on downtown and elsewhere by our city manager and some of council? Are you one benefiting from this bc your comments make it obvious you are not someone that needs/uses public safety and god forbid the time you do need someone whether it be a fire company, medic unit or police officer! There is a reason fire/ems departments go from volunteer to part time and to career as well as the point in time where MPD stepped away from the sheriff god knows how long ago! Response times play a huge part in this decision! Just ask surrounding communities about how their public safety is provided and if its received in adequate time. There is nothing wrong with a volunteer fire department/sheriff system but if you look at cities with crime, fire and medical needs as this city has, public safety employees here are barely getting by and making ends meet and some would say are already not able to provide the best service possible- reference the increase in response times and why don't you look into fire department mutual aide use as well as how long some PD calls go before they are attended to. Your scenario will only multiply these problems! The problem once again is not public safety! We all know it is a big part of the budget(PS is in every city, just ask Detroit- in bankruptcy yet still hiring police and FF's) that's been discussed/shown enough, the streets are also very important but come on Acclaro, where are your tax dollars being wasted? Its not in public safety, look at the run numbers for police and fire departments!

The city manager and council once again said they would not cut public safety if a levy was passed and are going back on their word! Quit attacking the people that provide/maintain your safety and find other ways to cut or how about this, make money! Which for damn sure wont happen if you keep cutting services that help to bring people in! Who wants to move their residence/business somewhere where we have the problems now that will only get worse with more PS cuts?
AKBobby View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKBobby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 31 2013 at 3:07pm
Originally posted by acclaro acclaro wrote:

Solutions to:

1- Police: Butler Cty Sheriff

2- Fire: Volunteer Fire Force, outsourcing EMT

Painless (with exception of pecking order for promotion).

BTW, if you eliminate staff in these areas, with the exception of the two solutions provided; don't you increase OVERTIME? 

you do know the sheriff has less staffing on patrol than just about anyone? they cant even take their own calls out in the rural areas with city help. But you do know that right?
AKBobby View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKBobby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 31 2013 at 3:08pm
Originally posted by VietVet VietVet wrote:

Butler County Sheriff......Volunteer Fire......

I see the response time being atrocious and unacceptable in very quick time. How would an emergency medical issue be handled and what would the response time increase be? If that ever occurred, I could see a lawsuit or two against the city if there is a death attributed to extremely long waits. I know of one that would happen immediately.

great points. the Sherrifs office cant even handle their own calls. Middleotwn handles many of their calls in the Madison Twp area as it is on mutual aid.  Plus do you really want volunteer firemen coming from 30 minutes away from their homes instead of right around the corner?

I agree with you on this Vet
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 31 2013 at 3:34pm
Again, for purely selfish reasons (and because my wife has needed quick response to the Atrium Emergency Room several times in the past 4.5 years), we must have quick response or she may die. Now, to be fair, if our family did not require quick medical response, it would matter less. If the old house catches on fire, I wouldn't want to wait for the volunteer firefighters either while I stare at the fire hydrant directly across from my house. And, if we have a police issue with someone breaking in, I'm not willing to wait for the sheriff either as I unload a clip into the clown who is violating my space, if you get my drift. Need a tad bit better response than what the sheriff could provide. We have had great responses to date from the medic/fire unit sent and the police. One of the better aspects of Middletown IMO. Money spent on them seems to be a better deal than our money spent on the priorities of city hall. The police and fire services seem to benefit the citizens more so than most offered by the city.
Neil Barille View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neil Barille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 31 2013 at 10:15pm
How many dying cities with our minimal budget have our level of public safety positions?  The fire service is where the trimming can be done.  Time to go EMS and volunteer, as Acclaro mentioned.  I usually don't see many burning buildings very often...or ever. 

But it won't happen in this aging town.  Too many old people who want a fire station around every corner to make them feel "safe", hence spinning the levy as a "safety levy". 

Funny, why is it that most of the smart people flocking over the years to Mason, WChester, Springboro, etc. don't bring up the fire staffing and # of fire stations during their house hunting?
eastsider View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eastsider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 31 2013 at 10:53pm
Mr Barille

Once again, your point is not supported by facts/statistics! Before you compare Middletown safety services to the other jurisdictions you speak of, look at the #'s.. You're clueless! West Chester has more fire stations and staffing than Middletown and make less calls, Mason only has 2 stations but once again, make a lot less calls- maybe half the amount of Middletown. Now, you bring up Springboro- interesting you do this- if you want to do some research, call the Clearcreek(provides fire for Springboro) fire Chief! They make less calls than Middletown, not even half as much, have 3 stations, close to the same daily staffing and here's the kicker- are transitioning to an all FULL TIME FD because of turn over rate and cost savings to the township! Quit making BS comments/comparisons without doing research first! Hell, Liberty TWP has a minimum staffing of 13, 3 station for less than 2000 calls a year! This is the proposed # of on duty staff for Middletown for 10000+ calls a year!

Now, compare the amount of fires Middletown has vs these other jurisdictions!? I don't think you want to, because they don't compare! Are there as many fires as once before-NO, but there are still fires in our city! There is nobody around here that you can compare your fire or police departments to other than Hamilton(size of city, staffing snd call volume)

Again, complain about the wasteful spending! Get rid of Gilleland and her crew
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 01 2013 at 6:38am
Neil B:

"How many dying cities with our minimal budget have our level of public safety positions?"

FIRST OF ALL, IF INDEED THIS CITY IS DYING, IT IS BECAUSE OF THE DECISIONS THAT HAVE BEEN MADE BY PAST/CURRENT CITY HALL PEOPLE. IT IS BECAUSE PAST/CURRENT COUNCIL/COMMISSION HAVE BEEN INEPT ON THE DIRECTION THIS TOWN SHOULD HAVE GONE YEARS AGO. INEPT IN PRIORITIZING, NOT BEING ABLE TO DECIFER WHAT IS IMPORTANT AND WHAT ISN'T. SECONDLY, I WOULD SUSPECT THAT THIS TOWN MAY BE STAFFED ABOUT RIGHT BASED ON THE INCREASE IN CRIME CREATED WHEN CITY LEADERS DECIDED TO MAKE IT LOW INCOME/SECTION 8 AND STAFFED ABOUT RIGHT DUE TO AN AGING POPULATION REQUIRING MORE AND MORE MEDIC RUNS THAT WILL ONLY INCREASE AS TIME GOES BY.

Neil B:

"The fire service is where the trimming can be done. Time to go EMS "

WRONG NEIL. THE CITY BUILDING WITH ALL THE TOP HEAVY SALARIES AND DUPLICATION OF PAPER-SHUFFLERS IS WHERE THE TRIMMING CAN BE DONE. YOU DON'T CUT WORKERS, YOU CUT ADMIN. PAPER-FLOW PEOPLE WHO GO TO ENDLESS MEETINGS TO DECIDE TO MEET AGAIN BECAUSE THEY CAN'T MAKE DECISIONS AND PASS ENDLESS INFO BACK AND FORTH. YOU DON'T NEED MULTI-LAYERS OF MIDDLE MANAGEMENT. THEY ARE EXPENDABLE. AGAIN, WE MUST KEEP THE EMS AND MEDICS DUE TO AN AGING POPULATION THAT AIN'T GETTING ANY HEALTHIER.

Neil B:

"But it won't happen in this aging town. Too many old people who want a fire station around every corner to make them feel "safe", hence spinning the levy as a "safety levy"

NO NEIL, too many old people who NEED a fire station WITH A MEDIC UNIT SO THEY WON'T DIE. "WANT" DOESN'T NECESSARILY FACTOR INTO IT.....MORE LIKE A "NEED" GIVE IT TIME BUD. IT WILL BE YOUR TURN SOMEDAY WHEN THE OLD HEART ATTACK HITS UNEXPECTANTLY AND YOU'LL BE GLAD THE MEDIC UNIT SHOWS UP AT THE HOUSE TO GET YOU TO THE HOSPITAL SO you won't die. THINK IT WON'T HAPPEN TO YOU? THINK AGAIN. WE HAD NO IDEA HOW OUR DAY WOULD TURN OUT 4 YEARS AGO EITHER. WHAT HAPPENED TO PAC IS ANOTHER EXAMPLE OF HOW YOUR LITTLE WORLD CAN CHANGE IN AN INSTANT. OH, AND BY THE WAY NEIL, YOU ARE GETTING OLDER TOO AND WILL EVENTUALLY NEED THEIR SERVICES. IT IS INEVITABLE. YOU ARE NOT IMMUNE TO AGING.

THIS IS NOT A LUXURY TO EASILY DISMISS NEIL. MEDIC CARE IS A MATTER OF LIFE AND DEATH AND A NECESSITY WHEN YOU'RE DYING. DON'T LAUGH. COULD HAPPEN TO ANYONE AT ANY TIME. YOU?, ME? WHO KNOWS WHO WILL NEED THE SQUAD NEXT?

AND IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH UNION SUPPORT ON MY END. I THINK THE UNIONS ARE OVERBEARING ON THEIR DEMANDS SOMETIMES. I VOTED TO SUPPORT SB5 WHICH FAILED.......BUT I STILL APPRECIATE THE HELP THEY CONTINUE TO GIVE US AND, WITHOUT THEM, I WOULD BE WITHOUT A WIFE RIGHT NOW. THEY ARE STILL A BIGGER BANG FOR THE TAXPAYER BUCK THAN PAYING THE SALARIES OF THE CLOWNS IN THE CITY BUILDING. I WOULD FEEL BETTER GIVING THEM 10 BUCKS OF MY MONEY THAN 1 BUCK TO ANYONE IN THE CITY BUILDING OR THE SCHOOLS. AT LEAST I'M GETTING SOMETHING FOR MY MONEY OF VALUE.

SO.....GO AHEAD AND CUT THE POLICE AND FIRE/MEDICS TO THE ABSOLUTE MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS. GO AHEAD AND GET THE 1.1 MILLION AND RETAIN THE DEADWOOD IN THE CITY BUILDING........BUT AFTER THAT HAPPENS, DON'T BITCH AND COMPLAIN WHEN YOU HAVE YOUR HEART ATTACK OR A HOME BREAK-IN AND THEY DON'T RESPOND FOR AND HOUR OR SO DUE TO THE CUTS MADE. IF THE RESPONSE TIME IS TOO LONG, AND SOMEONE DIES OR IS SHOT AND KILLED BY THE HOME INVADER WHEN IT COULD HAVE BEEN PREVENTED, I SEE SOME LAWSUITS AGAINST THE CITY AROUND THE CORNER. GET IN LINE WITH THE REST OF US ON THAT.
Neil Barille View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neil Barille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 01 2013 at 6:49am
eastside, the difference is that the areas you mention are on much better financial footing than Middletown and can afford the level of staffing they have.
The real point is why isn't there a better way to evaluate staffing -- do we really need firefighters sitting around cooking chili, washing the big fire engines, shopping at Marsh, unnecessarily going on medical runs?  Most runs are medical emergencies, not fire.  This is all about protecting union jobs for people who probably live out of town.  Gotta love the lecturing and threats coming from fire/police many of whom don't live in this town.
What A City View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote What A City Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 01 2013 at 7:41am
Originally posted by Neil Barille Neil Barille wrote:

eastside, the difference is that the areas you mention are on much better financial footing than Middletown and can afford the level of staffing they have.
The real point is why isn't there a better way to evaluate staffing -- do we really need firefighters sitting around cooking chili, washing the big fire engines, shopping at Marsh, unnecessarily going on medical runs?  Most runs are medical emergencies, not fire.  This is all about protecting union jobs for people who probably live out of town.  Gotta love the lecturing and threats coming from fire/police many of whom don't live in this town.
The fire dept positions are unique. They are not standing at a production line where one is constantly busy trying to keep up with the product coming off the line. They are not going from patient to patient as a nurse in a hospital, tending to the needs of the people who are ill, constantly busy. They are not going from meeting to meeting like management does in corporate America. They are not in a cruiser going from call to call like the  police do. If there are no calls, what would you have them do, other than clean, run errands in the fire unit, cut grass, catch up on sleep or tend to fire dept. business. Ya can't send them somewhere else without their equipment. Gotta be around it all the time .....you know.....to provide adequate response.

Depending on the frequency of the daily runs, there may be some "lag time" where they are cleaning vehicles, restocking the fire house with the groceries from Marsh or Kroger, cutting grass at the station, etc. . They are there, I believe, 72 hours at a time and do not leave the station to go home like most of us do  after the day's work ends. They do not solicit work. Work comes to them in the form of medic or fire needs. I was told that it is a requirement that a fire unit go on call with the medic.....unless the fire unit is on a fire call. I asked the same question concerning a fire unit showing up with a medic unit. The fire personnel may assist the medics in certain situations where more "muscle" or manpower is needed for lifting such as attending to a call on the third floor with only steps and no elevator.

Union jobs or non-union, the need for their services is vital and must exist or people die and houses burn down without attempts to extinguish them. They are necessary, be they union or non-union. Protecting union jobs isn't the issue here, is it? More like making sure the public is protected against threatening situations like medical emergencies and your house burning to the ground. It just so happens that we are dealing with the union sector here which adds another dimension to the picture. Living out of town? I don't care where they live, as long as they show up for work each day and attend to their fire and medic runs in an expedient manner. Isn't that what is really important,  rather than where they live? I'd give them credit if they do live out of town based on how this town is run, wouldn't you?
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 01 2013 at 8:55am
Middletown's public unions are absolutely to the point of behavior exceeding the vulgarity and disgraceful behavioral of the Wisconsin [public union thugs. You cost Middletown $ I M or greater in tax revenues associated with residents and businesses leaving or moving to another city with childish, mob like tactics. Its infuriating.
As Neil correctly states, people has two significant problems; these are-
1) 69% of students are at poverty level, rather, their family income is at poverty. It makes purely from a demographic perspective the impossibility of hitting the magic 75% obtainment Ms. Andrew described a challenge. I add; for those like Vet that bash Section 8; should the city mandate those that cannot afford or don't want to pay for visiting angels or move into the Gables assisted living, leave Middletown as they are a burden upon other's pockets as well, ergo, Senior Citizen Center? You have repeatedly made Ms. Andrew's point on rather stunning hypocrisy unless it benefits you, there is opposition. Many, including I, will vote yes for the new school building solely on behalf and impression Ms. Andrew has the principle of conviction, and that alone, means a great deal to me.
2. > 60% of Middletown's population is aged 55 or older. They buy into this ridiculous notions of scare tactics taken from the social security playbook. If you don't vote for us, you are going to lose valuable seconds. Nonsense. I have seen the multiple trucks that make their runs, staff of 5-7 fire fighters, for countless false alarms. That's where these numbers come from. 80% of activity is running the transport service, not fire fighting. Also, the numbers of staff are about where they were in the mid `980's, when Armco was in better shape, and the city finances. And effort to improve processes, cut, move into the real world, are met with temper tantrums and outrageous negative outbursts in the paper and media, destroying the already dismal and unacceptable image Middletown has already created for itself.

I have a suggestion- if you think and are concerned about getting to the hospital quick, move into the  Gables or assisted living. I also add- you want statistics? I will throw statistics that will show the wait to get into the ER jeopardizes one far greater than the time to get to the hospital. JEMS, or any number of outsourced services can provide service well.

Further, many docs live around Brown's Run. If I live on a farm in the country, what your argument truly is, is that one would be better to liove next to a hospital, because the distance is shorter, and speed is critical. When one's healt gets to that state, move to assisted living or a nursing home.

Council's problem is it has kicked these problems downstream for years. Cowardly behavior. No valor or honor in raising  'fake outrage' and fear. "Throwing granny off the cliff" doesn't work.

Stop the publicity, stop the threats, and make concessions to keep numbers, instead of the bully tactics. And STAT. 
Observer View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Observer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 01 2013 at 9:03am
I wonder if we are debating the wrong question here.  I think if everyone could choose we would all choose to keep staffing levels where they are at.  I suspect what the city admin. is asking is for the unions to take a pay cut.  It seems the vast majority of Middletown residents have taken a pay cut in the last 5 years.  AK workers were locked out, car dealers are going out of business and selling less cars, real estate agents really struggled through the recession, contractors going out of business left and right countless small businesses just making it.  Why can't these folks be asked to give a little bit too?  They take a slight pay cut across the entire dept and/or pay a little more for benefits and the staffing levels can stay at a point where we are all happy.  I don't know much about their contract but i think these contracts take up 70-80% of the budget.  With 2 depts. take up that much money how can they not be impacted when the city has a sizable deficit.  I'm sure there's places we can trim in the admin (and we should) but I doubt there's enough fat in the other 20% to make up $1.5M (i think that's the correct amount).
acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 01 2013 at 9:11am
85% of city budget Observer comes from police/ fire.

You could eliminate 40% of admin support (non public safety in Donham), and not miss a beat.

Cuts are a negotiating tactic of course.

Governor Kasisch elimination of Homestead credit/ reduction, of 2.5%, will be game changer- those levies now hit  seniors harder. Recruit Wainscot from AK for a year sabbatical to take care of the union problem. It would be fixed. 
johnnyp26 View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnnyp26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 01 2013 at 9:22am
The Fire Department has 1 Chief (although I use that term loosely), 1 secretary, 1 EMS Training Captain, and 1 Fire Marshall.  Those 4 work 40 hour work weeks (5 days a week).
We have 3 deputy chiefs who are shift commanders and respond to fires, vehicle entrapments, and other calls for service.  They work 24 hours on 48 hours off.

Station 81, Station 82, and HQ have a Captain and 2 Lieutenants that ride on the engine on their platoon day.  For example, at Station 81, the Captain works platoon 1 (24 hour day) on the engine with a driver and firefighter/paramedic;  a Lieutenant works platoon 2 (24 hour day) on the engine with the above staffing; and a Lieutenant works platoon 3 same as above.  We have a 3 platoon system.
The Captain at Station 81 also is in charge of Station 84, which now just houses an ambulance.
The Captain of Station 82 also is in charge of Station 85, which now just houses an ambulance.
We used to have engines at those stations with their own captain and lieutenants. 
Those positions and engines are GONE.
Also GONE are the following positions: Fire Training Captain, Fire Marshall, Assistant Fire Chief.
We do pay more for benefits. We pay more for our pension now.  We have had 0% raises for years.
The REAL question is:  Is the income tax collection REALLY flat? Or is it artificially flat as the City allows some businesses to pay a FEE that can be used anywhere instead of the income tax?
scovik888 View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scovik888 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 01 2013 at 10:27am
Acclaro, although I agree with you on many of your posts,bringing Mr. Wainscot in would not be the right thing to do. Although he is a brilliant business mind you cant expect the firemen and policemen to take people from all over the world, yes world, and train them to do their jobs as the union workers at AK were forced to do. I will refrain from using the word we used for these "replacement workers" but teaching people to run a steel mill is not quite on the same level as teaching people to save lives, or fight fires and crime.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 01 2013 at 11:35am
acclaro:

"I add; for those like Vet that bash Section 8; should the city mandate those that cannot afford or don't want to pay for visiting angels or move into the Gables assisted living, leave Middletown as they are a burden upon other's pockets as well, ergo, Senior Citizen Center?"

So true. I do my fair share of bashing Section 8 for good reason IMO. I have stated that I voted for the Seniors Levy for selfish purposes, IE. we use the handicapped van. If that need wasn't there, and if the only reason to vote yes was to support the mis-managed funding of the Senior Center, then I would have cast a no vote. PURELY SELFISH MOTIVES BASED ON A NEED FOR THE YES VOTE ACCLARO. No one should be mandated to leave the city. I might add that, from your posts, I get the feeling you are not too fond of Section 8 either. I voted for the Seniors Levy as there was a personal need. You voted against it for your reasons. I voted no on the Safety Levy because I thought unions were a little too big for their britches, DESPITE having a need for their medic services. At the same time, again for selfish reasons, and because we use the medic service all the time. I also voted for SB5 and against the union negotiation mentality. I am supporting the service they provide, but don't necessarily support their union thought process.

acclaro:

"You have repeatedly made Ms. Andrew's point on rather stunning hypocrisy unless it benefits you, there is opposition. Many, including I, will vote yes for the new school building solely on behalf and impression Ms. Andrew has the principle of conviction, and that alone, means a great deal to me."

WHAT???? DID I READ THIS CORRECTLY? YOU, AFTER ALL THE NEW SCHOOL/OLD SCHOOL BASHING....ALL THE POOR PERFORMANCE BASHING AND ARTICLES SUPPORTING YOUR POSITION, YOU WILL VOTE YES TO SUPPORT A NEW SCHOOL BUILDING? AND YOU HAVE THE NERVE TO MENTION HYPOCRISY ON MY PART? YOU SUDDENLY HAVE A CHANGE OF HEART AND SUDDENLY SEE MS. ANDREW'S POSITION ON NEW SCHOOLS? YOU'RE KIDDING, RIGHT? AND WHAT IS THIS NONSENSE ABOUT "CONVICTION MEANING A GREAT DEAL TO YOU" DID YOU SUDDENLY BECOME "SAINTLY"? THE ULTIMATE EXAMPLE OF CHANGING DIRECTION AND BREAKING ONE'S NOSE. WHERE IS YOUR CONVICTION?

acclaro:

2. > 60% of Middletown's population is aged 55 or older. They buy into this ridiculous notions of scare tactics taken from the social security playbook. If you don't vote for us, you are going to lose valuable seconds. Nonsense. I have seen the multiple trucks that make their runs, staff of 5-7 fire fighters, for countless false alarms

TELL YOU WHAT, NEXT TIME WE CALL 911, I'LL CALL YOU AND YOU CAN WITNESS HOW FAST THEY GET TO THE HOUSE AND GET HER TO THE EMERGENCY ROOM. HAS HAPPENED NUMEROUS TIMES IN THE PAST 4.5 YEARS AND, AS SURE AS THE SUN WILL RISE TOMORROW, THERE WILL BE MANY MORE 911 CALLS TO COME. AFTER YOU SEE WHAT THEY DO FOR HER AS TO EFFICIENCY AND TREATMENT, YOU MAY JUST CHANGE YOUR MIND. I KNOW YOU WOULD IF YOU WERE IN MY PLACE, TRYING TO KEEP YOUR WIFE ALIVE. YOU WOULD APPRECIATE ALL THE HELP YOU COULD GET.

acclaro:

"And effort to improve processes, cut, move into the real world, are met with temper tantrums and outrageous negative outbursts in the paper and media, destroying the already dismal and unacceptable image Middletown has already created for itself."

WOULD YOU FEEL THE SAME WAY IF THE MEDICS, FIRE PERSONNEL AND POLICE WERE NON-UNION? ISN'T THIS JUST A VENDETTA ON YOUR PART BECAUSE YOU AND OTHER MANAGER/EDUCATED/REPUBLICAN TYPES CAN'T STAND THE WORKING PEOPLE OF THE WORLD AND THEREFORE, WANT TO DRIVE A STAKE IN THE HEART OF ANY WORKER REPRESENTATION? ISN'T THAT THE REAL PICTURE HERE ACCLARO? WHY THE CONSTANT ATTACKS FROM "BIG ME MANGEMENT" AGAINST "LITTLE YOU WORKER" ALL THE TIME? I'VE HEARD AND SEEN THIS TYPE OF CRAP SINCE 1967 WHEN I ENTERED THE WORKFORCE. IRONICALLY, I'VE NEVER BEEN A PART OF A UNION, BUT I HAVE SEEN THE GAME PLAYED BETWEEN MANAGEMENT AND WORKER IN PLENTY OF NON-UNION SHOPS. IT AIN'T PRETTY.

acclaro:

I have a suggestion- if you think and are concerned about getting to the hospital quick, move into the Gables or assisted living

WHY MOVE? ALREADY LIVE WITHIN A FEW MILES OF THE HOSPITAL AND CAN GET THERE IN A FEW MINUTES. OH, AND DON'T QUALIFY FOR ANY ASSISTED LIVING. MAKE TOO MUCH MONEY....HAVE TOO MANY ASSETS ACCORDING TO ALL PROGRAMS CONTACTED. HELL, CAN'T EVEN GET HOME CARE FOR THE SAME REASONS.

acclaro:

"I will throw statistics that will show the wait to get into the ER jeopardizes one far greater than the time to get to the hospital."

ACTUALLY, WITH HER MANY AILMENTS, THERE IS NO WAIT ONCE SHE REACHES THE ER. THEY TAKE HER RIGHT IN. TIA'S, STROKES AND HEART ATTACK PATIENTS DON'T WAIT IN THE WAITING ROOM OF THE ER. IT AIN'T LIKE SHE HAS THE FLU.

acclaro:

"Further, many docs live around Brown's Run. If I live on a farm in the country, what your argument truly is, is that one would be better to liove next to a hospital, because the distance is shorter, and speed is critical. When one's healt gets to that state, move to assisted living or a nursing home"

YES, LOGICALLY, WHEN ONE LIVES CLOSER TO A MEDICAL FACILITY THAN NOT, THE DISTANCE IS SHORTER AND THE SPEED IS CRITICAL, DEPENDING ON THE AILMENT. AGAIN, WE DON'T QUALIFY FOR, NOR CAN WE AFFORD ASSISTED LIVING OR A NURSING HOME. HAVE YOU SEEN THE PRICES OF THOSE PLACES? FUTHERMORE, SHE IS NOT AT THAT POINT AS YET BUT MAY BE THERE AT SOME POINT IN HER LIFE. SHE HAS BEEN TO MT. PLEASANT TWICE, BUT DOES NOT QUALIFY FOR PERMANENT CARE THERE.

I FIND YOUR AGGRESSIVE ATTACKS SURPRISING BASED ON YOUR PAST DEMEANOR ON YOUR POSTS. I AM SORRY THAT MY POSITION HAS OFFENDED YOU SO, BUT YOU WILL NEVER KNOW WHAT BEING DEPENDENT ON THE SERVICES PROVIDED IS LIKE UNTIL YOU WALK A MILE IN MY SHOES. COULD HAPPEN ANY DAY FOR MANY. BASED ON MY EXPERIENCE WITH A TOTALLY DEPENDENT PERSON, I PRAY THAT IT DOES NOT HAPPEN TO YOU OR ANYONE FOR THAT MATTER. YOU WOULDN'T WANT THAT PART OF MY LIFE ACCLARO.

acclaro View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acclaro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 01 2013 at 12:05pm
Vet, to be clear:

1) I support the movement of the school to a central locations, NOT because of any financial payback, nor belief the system will see EXCELLENCE ratings, as I see the demographics so skewed in an unfavorable position (69% poverty for kids), rather, because without them, it makes the situation worse. That's it....a vote to mitigate damage, not conviction of improvement. I believe in Ms. Andrew, and her honesty to call a spade a spade. While losing money, its less money by building, than doing nothing.

2) Education and positions on unions and non unions has nothing to do with calculus. Heck, 5 or so generations of teachers/ admin in family, fire chiefs, you name it. But, burden of pensions and liabilities too much. Companies re-engineer, so should states and municipalities. Not many like the approach and tactics taken.

3) Health- we all confront heartache and hardship. There is no dispute on need and desire for police and fire; the question and debate is expense vs their need/ desire for retention of benefit. I believe the word compromise is what the issue, negotiation, bargain. The yelling, scream, positioning, and pounding by the unions are not constructive, and don't serve their position well, nor the residents of Middletown. 

Bargain----and staff remains consistent, or ask Doug McNeil for $ 5 Mm back for the 10,000 jobs that did not show up at Atrium. Or....raise taxes to 2-2.5-2.5%. Hint----its the latter.    
Marianne View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marianne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 01 2013 at 1:22pm
AKBobby,

I appreciate your response to the earlier question, but both the chief and deputy chiefs do respond to calls (obviously not with the frequency of a patrol officer)...they're not merely "shuffling papers".  

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic