Google+ and Facebook

Home | Yearly News Archive | Advertisers | Blog | Contact Us
Saturday, April 20, 2024
FORUM CITY SCHOOLS COMMUNITY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2012 HUD ANNUAL ACTION PLAN

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
OVER SIGHT View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote OVER SIGHT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 06 2012 at 2:47am
Pacman I do not disagree with you on that the HUD program could be tuned up but not at the expense or reputation of a good man such as Mr Dan Tracey. I have meet this man and he is a good man he has let people live in properties for months without paying rent through hard times. I even heard that he paid for a funeral for a man that rented from him and he was not on section 8 and still today helps with that man's family especially around the holidays. Pacman listen by reducing the number of landlords such as Mr Dan Tracy off the section 8 program the city is losing their power to govern the 1000 properties through the section 8 program. Pacman look he has been in this business for about 30 plus years and if you looked deep enough into this mans business I would want to say about 85% of his properties are paid for blocks of house all in the same neighborhoods some not so great and some in really upscale neighborhoods I would say this man could own any house in this city and rent it out to whomever or whatever he wants and that is his civil right. Pacman if he is booted off the program as you say that does not mean the properties are off or the tenants are gone. Pacman what would stop him from giving them to a trust or a llc for his kids and turn them over to a rental company who reallys is not going to care what happens to the property so case closed he will have no interest in the properties right? So Pacman being that HUD rules say he can not participate in the program with a felony but a trust is its own entity under the law and Mr Tracey will have given up his rights to the properties can stay on the program and Dan can go sit back and count the cash. Pacman trust me I know there is ways around MR Adkins plans of attacks on this program like the UC report stated page 59 [The beauty of it all is that we do not need HUD's approval to accomplish our goals]at which in the introduction its states that HUD will have to be informed of what they are trying to do 1. To remove and replace outside the city limits of Middletown 1000 families and the term used was families not vouchers. 2. To make landlords reluctant to participate in the Section 8 program therefore decreasing the number of properties available to the voucher holders so the city can say HUD we don't need them take them back.
sounds like the citys manipulation of the Program could get them fired from being involved in the HUD program.
Pacman someone said in that report on page 59 the rules are already in place we just have to enforce them wonder who that was like I said HUD does not influence the administrator of a HUD program unless you screw up violate some civil rights and then you're fired. Pacman I would say this is what's going to happen with MPHA if they stay on the witch hunt of landlords and so called naughty tenants. Pacman what my point is that right now Doug Adkins has tried and failed to take off as many voucher holders that he can of this MPHA program you see when a voucher holder gets terminated off the program for a violation that person has the right to a hearing and this is by arbitration not the MPHA or Mr Adkins office and is heavily watched over by HUD remember civil rights. I wonder just how many hearings took place in 2009 to year to date I saw MR Adkins desk stacks of files 5 feet tall 10 feet long so how many was terminated for what a water bill that nothing to do with the program? I have heard less than 10% of the hearings went in Doug Adkins favor but Doug Adkins knows if you can take a landlord off the program like Dan Tracy wow there goes 144 sounds like selective enforcement to me I'm no attorney but I believe Doug Adkins has a law background and that oath he took to uphold civil rights just might be bending right now [stress cracks] the city might be setting itself up for a 1983 civil rights lawsuit by MR Tracy if it stays on this wrong track of harassing landlords and now prosecuting the ones that don't scare so easily such as MR Tracy all this just to reduce the enrollment of future properties in the program that in itself is fraud against this program and the voucher holders which are tax paying citizens of this city should call HUD and HUD should remove the cities oversight of the program for the misrepresentation of what the city is telling HUD about not needing the vouchers and the city council's embarrassing ability to stand up and make the correct decisions to help this program and the voucher holders so that it can become better and serve the people of this city and state in the way it was meant to. Pacman like it or not the OLD LADY in New York holding that torch says it all its America its what sets us apart from the rest of this crazy world we take care of our own no matter what all I can say is'''' SPEAK UP HUD WHATS THE PROBLEM get involved.''''
Richard Saunders View Drop Down
MUSA Resident
MUSA Resident

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Saunders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 06 2012 at 3:20am
OVER SIGHT you could say that again but please do not""
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 06 2012 at 6:16am
But the bottom line, oversight, is that the Section 8 program is another government handout to people who will be prone to abusing it and thereby abusing the hand that feeds them.....the taxpayer. The Section 8 people pay what, 30% of the cost of living at the Section 8 landlord's residence......and who picks up the other 70%.....the taxpayer. I go to work each day to make my housepayment. There ain't no one paying 70% of my housepayment (or any other frikkin' bills for that matter) for me. Some of these people who use food stamps and receive welfare checks, are not looking for a temporary "hand up". They are career scammers, looking for a permenant "hand-out". THAT is what angers the taxpayer and should anger you too. (Wanna create jobs....train people to audit all on welfare, Section 8 and other handout programs and kick 'em off immediately, if not in compliance) You have x number of months to get your act together and then you're off the program, ready or not.

The initial intention of all of these social programs was noble and just, helping people through tough times on a TEMPORARY BASIS. BUT, we all have seen just how "temporary" some of these people have become with YEARS of sponging off the taxpayers.

You ought to feel lucky that Doug Adkins hasn't gone further in his desire to end Section 8 in this city. Could have been worse. Coulda been me in his position and I would have gone after the program with a vengence, clearing out all the deadwood I could for the sake of the town's health and image. This program instills a cancer in the city and welcomes some problems that we just don't need here. Lord, don't we have enough problems with the occupants of city hall and the way they run this city? Do we really need to bring more issues to town? JMO
I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
LH4 View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LH4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 06 2012 at 8:32am
Mike-

Pacman probably is a good person sick of people taking advantage of a system.. Like most people.
But in saying that.. Landlords ARE business owners. Very hard working business owners. Don't forgot that.
They are very stressed by vacant properties. Simple equation no income= no way to pay the bank.
They own larger more time consuming businesses than a lot of people on here. There is not a time clock to clock out of. If there are problems you can get calls at any time....you are not "off" like most people.
So for those of you that like to criticize and act like being a landlord is some gravy job that you sit back and collect a check.. YOU ARE SO MISTAKEN! I'm sure a lot of landlords in Middletown probably wish they would have bought elsewhere when they could.
I do understand the frustration with the whole program on both sides.. but do not overlook that the city of Middletown WANTED people to buy and fix up all of these empty properties!! Like I've said before that takes cash on hand.. not pennies.
The one point no one is getting is... What happens when you take away the section 8 program??? Do the properties vanish? NO.
What do you think will happen?
Let me tell you.. Landlords WILL still rent their properties with no background checks, lower rent, NO LIMIT TO HOW MANY PEOPLE ARE IN ONE UNIT and NO INSPECTIONS!!!!

Mike..as far as everyone using their personal name on here. Some people like to have their personal life PERSONAL!
LH4 View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LH4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 06 2012 at 8:52am
VietVet
I completely agree with you some of the people on the system do nothing but abuse it!
But there are many on the system that have no other way. The elderly,mentally handicapped..etc.. . You would be surprised how many people do really need it.
You are completely right it was never suppose to be a program for young people to get on, stay on and have multiple kids on!

Landlords do have a job to keep income coming into and paying for their businesses.
Do they love to rent section 8? No...it would be wonderful to have good paying tenants, be able to charge a decent rent and not have to deal with the section 8 headache!!
Unfortunately in Middletown thats not happening!

I liked the comment someone made about previous landlords in the city being respected gentlemen in the past..
It's really not fair for people NOW to say this was caused by the landlords...the landlords did not bring the vouchers or the money the city received from HUD into Middletown.
digger-2 View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digger-2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 06 2012 at 10:03am
Very Well Said, LH4.  ClapClap

It's the bureaucrats who have decimated older residential neighborhoods via their wasteful and misguided spending of HUD funds.  Their community improvement policies and plans continue to make a bad problem even worse.

Go Mitt Go !!!  ClapClap
Good Luck Josh Mandel !!  ClapClap
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 06 2012 at 11:57am
LH4:

"VietVet
I completely agree with you some of the people on the system do nothing but abuse it!
But there are many on the system that have no other way. The elderly,mentally handicapped..etc.. . You would be surprised how many people do really need it"

Agree. And this is why EVERYONE ON THE PROGRAMS NEEDS TO BE AUDITED TO VERIFY AND SEPARATE THE ONES WHO REALLY NEED IT FROM THE ONES RUNNING THE SCAMS. UNANNOUNCED AUDITS TO SEE THE REAL PICTURE OF WHAT IS OCCURING, NOT SCHEDULED TO GIVE THEM A CHANCE TO CHANGE THE SCENE. JUST ASKING FOR CONTROL OF THE PROGRAMS TO OVERSEE THE TAXPAYER'S MONEY.

LH4:

"Do they love to rent section 8? No...it would be wonderful to have good paying tenants, be able to charge a decent rent and not have to deal with the section 8 headache!! "

NOT KNOWING THE RENTAL SITUATION IN MIDDLETOWN, COULD WE STILL FILL THE EMPTY APARTMENTS AND HOUSES WITH NON SECTION 8 PEOPLE, CHARGE A REASONABLE RATE OF RENT AND STILL KEEP THE LANDLORDS IN BUSINESS? SURE WOULD BE NICE IF WE COULD GET THIS PROGRAM OUT OF TOWN.......OR, AT THE VERY LEAST, HAVE ONLY THE AMOUNT OF SECTION 8 THIS TOWN IS TAILORED TO HAVE. OTHER THAN THE GENERAL CLIMATE OF THE CITY, CREATED OF COURSE BY CITY HALL, IS THERE A REASON(S) WHY LANDLORDS ARE HAVING A HARD TIME FILLING RENTAL HOMES AND APARTMENTS? IS THE RENT TOO HIGH? NOT ENOUGH JOBS TO LURE PEOPLE TO TOWN TO RENT? NO ONE WANTS TO LIVE HERE NO MATTER HOW LOW THE RENT GOES, JUST BECAUSE THE CITY LEADERS HAVE MADE TO TOWN SO UNDESIRABLE?

THE LANDLORDS ARE JUST CASHING IN ON THE OVERABUNDANT HUD HANDOUTS AND GETTING A GUARANTEED PAYOUT FOR THE RENT THROUGH THE FEDS. CAN'T BLAME THEM. ON THE OTHER HAND, IT'S HELPING TO RUIN THE CITY....AT THE VERY LEAST, IMAGE WISE.

I'm so proud of my hometown and what it has become. Recall 'em all. Let's start over.
LH4 View Drop Down
MUSA Immigrant
MUSA Immigrant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LH4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 07 2012 at 8:37pm
I see people commenting on the pot hole issue. Now section 8 inspectors are failing property inspections due to pot holes in front of a property. How many do you all have in front of your homes??
Coincident .... I think not. Amazing what level they are going to.
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 07 2012 at 8:52pm
Are you referring to the side walk, the driveway cut, gutters, or the blacktop??  Where is this pothole in front of your property?

If it is the sidewalk, driveway cut, or gutters, the landowner is required to repair these items. 

The place I lived in prior to living in Ohio, this was the city's responsiblity. 

PacmanCool

JEF View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 19 2012 at 3:42pm
I'm a section 8 recipient. 

I moved into a very acceptable home, and it is still in the same condition after 2 years. I pay 70% of my rent, and Middletown Housing comes in with the 30% balance. 

Recently (2 weeks before Christmas), I failed my inspection.  For missing 5 light bulbs. 

My house is clean, we are drug free, my lawn is maintained, and I have an excellent, law abiding landlord. 

Should my children and I be put out for light bulbs?  

Why should we be punished, for so many others who fail to abide by a program that is essential for my children to have a roof over their heads?

We've never bothered a soul, and I consider my family a benefit to Middletown.  

We  already tolerate a below average offering of education, which I believe contributes to a poor quality of life. No brains, no job, no home, sign up for Section 8.  It's all connected.  

I see why there is a frustration with bad tenants and bad landlords. I can't stand them either, look what they are doing to the rest of us. Unfortunately, we all seem to be placed in the same group. 
JEF View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 19 2012 at 4:05pm
Not sure how to edit my prior post, but I FIRMLY believe that drug testing would eliminate a large chunk of undeserving tenants.
VietVet View Drop Down
MUSA Council
MUSA Council

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VietVet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 20 2012 at 6:17am
JEF.....

Glad that you are one of the more upstanding citizens in the Section 8 program. You do see where the taxpayer, who is footing this program, can become frustrated and label all Section 8 as bad due to a certain percentage that have made Section 8 a way of life rather than a temporary helping hand up, right?

Could you tell us how long you are allowed to be in the Section 8 program before they expect you to be on your own and independent of taxpayer help? IE- any time limit to receive Section 8?

It is awfully ironic that since Middletown instituted this program, crime has picked up considerably. IMO, Section 8 and all that goes with it. does attract criminal elements from outside the city as to drugs, theft, and more serious offenses up to and including murder and certainly doesn't help the image in some cases. It also encourages low income to move here with the voucher program and lowers the per capita income level of the city. City leaders are making this town a ghetto, just to create some revenue flow. Poor tradeoff. The last thing we need here, given all the other problems this city has, is more problems created by negative fallout from this program. Instead of concentrating all the Section 8 here in Middletown, the answer is to spread it out to other communities so that everyone enjoys the highs (?) and lows of the program. All need to share more equally. JMO
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 26 2012 at 9:04pm
JEF,
The inspector failed you without an option to replace the light bulb within X # of days? 
Replace the lightbulbs and request another inspection.

Open enrollment in most schools begin in April.  Check it out. 

PacmanCool

Edited by Pacman - Dec 26 2012 at 9:10pm
JEF View Drop Down
Outsider
Outsider

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 30 2012 at 1:30am
Yes, we do have 30 days to install light bulbs. I could have easily put them in while he was here, but that wasn't allowed.  The cost to have new paperwork and a new inspection seems a waste of the city's funds, wouldn't you agree?   (It's an automatic re-inspection, you get the paperwork before they leave)

I lived in a terrible neighborhood before this home with a huge majority of Section 8 tenants. Terrible people and a blind-eyed landlord, absolutely content with running down the neighborhood...why? I don't know or understand it myself.

Crime runs rampant in the program, I wish they'd drug test and do criminal background checks. 

There are no time limits on Section 8, they don't promote people getting off the program. They do however boast big headlines to flare up the community, making promises to people who want the program gone. 

When people are removed from the program, they just hop all over the city destroying more homes and communities, they don't leave Middletown.

As far as the schools go, I was lucky to get my son into Central Academy this year and he does much better. As far as the high school, my daughter is in  advanced classes, so I do try to give them the best opportunity. But the stats on the schooling speaks volumes.

Sorry it took so long to reply.

Edited by JEF - Dec 30 2012 at 1:38am
Pacman View Drop Down
Prominent MUSA Citizen
Prominent MUSA Citizen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pacman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 30 2012 at 1:40pm
Thanks for your reply Jef,

I hope your kids continue to do well.

PacmanCool
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic